F&P Brevida

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
TonyG

Re: F&P Brevida

Post by TonyG » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:50 pm

Pugsy wrote:I really need to go dig out my P10 strap covers too...nasty little indentation on my right cheek (stayed mostly on my right side) this morning.
I am not having any headaches so I am going to leave the diffuser in place...I like the silence.
I was wondering how I was going to know when I needed to change the diffuser...been wondering about that since I found out the P10 vent holes can get clogged...no reason to think that diffuser isn't going to have the same problem. So that's something in the back of my mind...when to change the diffuser and there's no way that I can tell for it to be easily evaluated in terms of getting to the point where it might be working a little too good.
I haven't tried the next size up...didn't really feel the need but I may do it later before I end the experiment.

All in all the more I use this mask the more I like it.
You shouldn't have to replace the filter on the diffuser. It is fully washable and nothing like the P10 so clogging should never be an issue.

Harry the third

Post by Harry the third » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:40 am

Nearly worst fitted mask to date for me: compared to my Resmed RP10: leakage increased by 2.5 fold per hour. AHI increased from 3.5 to 5 Where the Brevida was actually prescribed to decrease the leakage and therefore decrease the AHI The mask can also be quite noisy: it turned out that the cover of the exhale ports was leaking too much air creating an inconsistent air flow noise. Impossible to sleep with. I changed the cover by the spare cover which solved this issue.

Funny thing is that the maker of the mask, F&P, states 'And patient confidence begins with a mask that fits and is comfortable'. Indeed, after one night I completely lost my confidence. I am extremely disappointed.

BTW: I'm using the Resmed 10. I'm very happy with this machine. I started off with the Devilbiss Blue Auto Plus. I called the Devilbiss an excellent torture device: noisy power supply (high frequency alternating noise), air compressor loud and whistling mask. Even with heated tube. Have bared it for 2.5 hours in three weeks. Then returned it and requested for a Resmed.

jagzoo

Post by jagzoo » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:05 pm

Just a quick check in from days ago - am still using the Brevida with the xs/s pillows and still finding it extremely comfortable and stable. I think it is #1 in my mask stable, then the dreamwear and P10 masks tied for 2nd ( all for very different reasons). Isn't having choices nice! Do hope the Brevida comes to the USA market soon so I can get one with insurance. Anyone heard anything?

Have learned to check that the pillows aren't inverted before I place the mask in place. They are very soft and can invert fairly easily - but it doesn't happen once in place.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:13 pm

jagzoo wrote:Do hope the Brevida comes to the USA market soon so I can get one with insurance. Anyone heard anything?
Haven't heard a timeline at all. Cpap.com doesn't have a timeline either.
If you have signed up for the cpap.com newsletter you will get emails and when they know it is being released and coming to them they will announce it in the newsletter.
If they go by past new masks....there will be a pre order ability with the mask shipping immediately when they get it. Past history with pre order items...usually about 2 weeks or so.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:41 pm

This will be my final general review of the Brevida unless someone has some specific questions.

When using bilevel pressures the mask will do a bit of "modulation"...inflates a bit with inhale and deflates a bit with exhale and the more difference there is between inhale and exhale the more modulation you will experience.
It also will vary more with higher pressures and any exhale relief you might be using even if you aren't using a bilevel machine because when you use exhale relief you are creating a little bilevel situation.
If you ever tried the F & P Pilairo and found the modulation with it was too annoying...you probably won't like the Brevida even though the modulation is less pronounced than with the Pilairo.
I notice the modulation but it isn't all that annoying to me and disappears (meaning I don't notice it anymore) fairly quickly.
It isn't an issue for me but it could be for some people.

All in all I rather like the Brevida. The back strap still slides up occasionally and could stand to be a tiny bit tighter but I just haven't done anything about it because it doesn't do the sliding up all that often...it's pretty much like the P10 back strap which would also slide up the back of the head every now and then. Minor annoyance that didn't happen all the time.

If you get any condensation in the Brevida pillow...no way to get it out except remove it and clean it out. It just pools in the pillows and impossible to drain out back down the hose without a lot of fiddling with the pillow and hose. Might as well just take it off and clean it out...will save time in the long run. Found that out a few nights ago.

All in all I like the Brevida. Still haven't decided on its final placement in my list of preferred masks.
If you absolutely hated, hated the Pilairo...probably won't care for the Brevida either.
I did try the Pilairo and I was sort of bleh..it's okay I guess...but I didn't fall in love with it. So if you are more like me and not absolutely hate the Pilairo you might like the Brevida.
Now if you loved the Pilairo but found the overall footprint of that pillow on your nose annoying...you might really like the Brevida because it is going to have a much smaller footprint.

As with any mask out there...one man's trash is another man's treasure and in the end you simply have to try something to see how you feel about it.
NanWilson normally likes what I like but with the Brevida she just didn't like it.
No mask is ever totally perfect...we just have to weigh the pros and cons and decide if the good outweighs the bad and meets the bulk of our own personal preferences.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Hornnumb2

Post by Hornnumb2 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:15 pm

If anybody decides they don't like it, I would love to try one! Thanks Michael

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:30 pm

Pugsy wrote: All in all I rather like the Brevida. The back strap still slides up occasionally and could stand to be a tiny bit tighter but I just haven't done anything about it because it doesn't do the sliding up all that often...it's pretty much like the P10 back strap which would also slide up the back of the head every now and then. Minor annoyance that didn't happen all the time.
Being bald, I can't try a solution I have considered for this situation - perhaps someone can comment. The possible solution I have thought about is using a couple of bobby pins to anchor the straps in place. Any thoughts if that might work? An alternative would be to anchor the straps with a hair net.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:44 pm

JimW159 wrote: Being bald, I can't try a solution I have considered for this situation - perhaps someone can comment. The possible solution I have thought about is using a couple of bobby pins to anchor the straps in place. Any thoughts if that might work? An alternative would be to anchor the straps with a hair net.
I wear my hair very short and while I could do the bobby pins or velcro or whatever to better anchor that back strap...when I say it is a very minor annoyance I meant it. It's not enough of a problem to warrant my trying to figure out a solution.
Not worth the work to try to fix something that maybe might happen once or twice a week and adding something else like a bobby pin or something to lay on might cause more problems every night than maybe a problem once or twice a week.
Now if it were happening a gazillion times a night...different story.
Or if it were causing leaks that wake me often...different story.
Most of the time it's "I woke up to get up and the back strap had slid up the back of my head but no leaks to speak of and it's just an incidental comment". It's not like I wake up dozens of times during the night because of that strap moving.

Long ago I made the decision to let very small annoyances slide if fixing those annoyance could potentially cause more problems.
Like..yeah, I might mouth breathe for 10 minutes some nights...and yes I could go to some extraordinary measures to stop that 10 minutes of mouth breathing but I learned a long time ago that those extra measures actually disrupted my sleep worse than the problem of 10 minutes of mouth breathing might cause.

I don't expend time or energy or brain cells on a problem unless it's a significant problem.
I am lazy.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:02 pm

Jim:

As Pugsy said... Velcro!!! been doing that for 7 years, works like a charm. Just use the self stick round dots you can get a Walmart, use the rough side not the smooth one. Stick it to the inside, middle of your strap, and voila, no more slide ups. The Velcro sticks to your hair and keeps it from sliding up, but doesn't hurt the hair.
Cheesr Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:29 pm

JimW159 wrote:Being bald, I can't try a solution I have considered for this situation
*cough*superglue*cough*

SOMEDAY, I'm gonna get SOMEONE to superglue something to their head/face... I'm gonna keep suggesting it

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:21 am

palerider wrote:
JimW159 wrote:Being bald, I can't try a solution I have considered for this situation
*cough*superglue*cough*

SOMEDAY, I'm gonna get SOMEONE to superglue something to their head/face... I'm gonna keep suggesting it
Good thought - my go-to solution for so many problems in the past has been staples, though.

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:25 am

Maybe you need to try it on a suppository.

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:29 am

I was referring to the super glue because I just had to tease that little red devil a bit.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:30 am

JimW159 wrote: Good thought - my go-to solution for so many problems in the past has been staples, though.
What the hell happened to duct tape?
Last edited by Uncle_Bob on Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:39 am

Stormynights wrote:I was referring to the super glue because I just had to tease that little red devil a bit.
ohhhh!!! *shakes fist*

well, at least that's not as bad as the staples would be

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.