Mask carbon dioxide levels - toxicity

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Intercostaldrama

Re: Mask carbon dioxide levels - toxicity

Post by Intercostaldrama » Sat May 10, 2014 8:11 am

Hi Milt. I swore by Sleepweaver for quite a while until I discovered two concerns. One, that the air exit holes are extremely small but the more important was that the air entrance hose could fold over and block if you roll into the right position. Or is that wrong position? The Sleepweavers I have do not have a right-angle elbow at the connection to the hose.
I now use a Quattro FX also because I no longer need a separate jaw strap. Reg.

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Sat May 10, 2014 8:49 am

Now, why would this guy say: "You cannot sample CO2 anywhere but at the patient's mouth"? Is he on to something?

http://www.boundtreeuniversity.com/colu ... he-best-ey

So here's some stuff about the SprintIR:

http://www.co2meters.com/Documentation/ ... Sensor.pdf

Last edited by Drowsy Dancer on Sat May 10, 2014 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke

hn

Post by hn » Sat May 10, 2014 9:04 am

I think you are totally correct on the issue of inadequate venting CO2. Once I found a mask that fit and allowed me to sleep through the night (ResMed QuatroAir full face), I began experiencing extreme lethargy, I have been calling it fatigue, but I think you are correct in correlating lethargy to essentially CO2 poisoning. In one night sleeping without the CPAP my condition has suddenly improved. I have an extra mask and might try to punch out some holes and see if the venting works. I do have major concerns about an industry that is producing products that can cause this problem, because in my case it is debilitating. I will raise with my doctor, thanks.

Respironics H5i with Quatro Air.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Sat May 10, 2014 10:59 am

I found this an interesting presentation...

http://centegra.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... graphy.pdf

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat May 10, 2014 7:42 pm

This is well studied and there are enough users that it's really unlikely a standard mask and CPAP machine will let CO2 get to "toxic" levels. It might happen if the vent holes are plugged, or of the machine stops blowing and you keep breathing in and out through the mask. Hence the anti-asphyxia valves in FFMs.

CO2 might be at high enough levels to affect your sleep in an adverse way to some extent.

Unless it gets to really high levels, CO2 is probably actually somewhat beneficial because it increases your impulse to breathe. There are a number of studies involving deliberately increasing the rebreathing of CO2 for CPAP patients in order to help prevent central apnea.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Sludge

Post by Sludge » Sun May 11, 2014 3:45 am

hn wrote:I have an extra mask and might try to punch out some holes and see if the venting works.
GFI!
The mechanism of treatment emergent central apnea remains unclear but could include several possibilities: CPAP-induced air leak washing out the anatomical dead space...
http://www.journalsleep.org/ViewAbstrac ... 9446&tab=2
You Kids Have Fun!!

Sang

Post by Sang » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:40 am

Hi Milt
I agree you had problems caused by "co2". I'm having the same problems. Dizzy, fatigue..
I really want to know the shape and size of holes you made on your mask.

Could you show me a picture of your mask? I really need the information to get rid of co2 from my body.

And..i figured out that co2 problems can be reduced when i sleep in a little inclined. I think the inclined body makes my breath stronger (a little...but it works)

Oh, and im using pillow type to reduce the space of mask, and it also works.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:44 pm

The thread is 8 months old. You need to see your doctor.
The problem you describe is too serious to try to solve online.

fsbill

Post by fsbill » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:21 am

I had my initial sleep apnea CPAP fitting study done last night. I had the same feeling you described plus nausea the next morning. The first mask I tried (I do not know any manufacturer or model numbers) did okay as long as I took deep, deliberate breaths. I relaxed and my breaths were a bit more shallow. Then just before dozing off, I felt anxious with a slight pressure on my chest and felt as if I could not catch a breath. I had this same feeling on vacation years ago when using a scuba-scooter that had a plastic bubble to put your whole head in and then you could ride the underwater scooter. I was fine for a few minutes and then I felt like I could not breathe. I assumed the oxygen tank was not putting out enough but based on your post, I think the CO2 was not venting properly. Last night, I tried a different mask and it was better but I still felt like it wasn't exactly right. This morning I had a headache and was nauseous. Apparently the second mask was venting better than the first but not as well as I needed. If you have anymore information on what you found out, I would appreciate it greatly before I proceed with purchasing a CPAP device. As it stands right now, I don't think I will proceed but if I can achieve the same results you mentioned, it is definitely worth looking into. Thanks so much.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:40 am

fsbill wrote:fsbill
SMH

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:02 am

DENIAL

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:12 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:DENIAL
Agree +1

berkley6969

Post by berkley6969 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:31 am

Wow, I feel the same way, I get out of breath a lot with my cpap, and that was
my thoughts exactly about my exhale not leaving the mask quick enough and that I was inhaling the
It right back. Can u tell me where you added the holes to your mask I believe this will fix
my problem as well thank you.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:54 pm

berkley6969 wrote:Wow, I feel the same way, I get out of breath a lot with my cpap, and that was
my thoughts exactly about my exhale not leaving the mask quick enough and that I was inhaling the
It right back. Can u tell me where you added the holes to your mask I believe this will fix
my problem as well thank you.
Congrats, you know more than the manufacture, and the people here, the holes aren't the problem. Either you don't have a real problem oryour machine is's set up correctly.

We can't tell because you have given nothing to work with to help you, so drill away if you must. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

SnoringInOregon

Post by SnoringInOregon » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:17 pm

HoseCrusher wrote:I found this an interesting presentation...

Capnography pdf
I know this is an old thread ...

But I learned more than I ever knew I could about CO2 from that PDF. Absolutely correct that it was "an interesting presentation". (I'm a guest, can't quote message properly)