Not doing well

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Anthonym

Not doing well

Post by Anthonym » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:35 am

I have severe sleep apnea, I tried the machine and mask and couldn't deal with it though I was a bit of a wreck and also all those monitoring wires at the sleep clinic didn't help either. I stopped the test and she told me to follow up with my doctor to discuss other options. My appointment is next week. Since Friday I have gotten maybe 4-5 hours sleep combined for the 3 nights. I can't sleep now, even though I took a Unisom. Everytime I get on the cusp of sleep I have a loud snort go off in my nose and I wake up. This happens when sitting up as well. I took my BP and right now due to the lack of sleep it is 160/105. It is normally around 125/85 or so. Not sure what I should do. I need that cpap machine or some alternative TODAY or I may not sleep at all again and I am about to drop. I was thinking ER but what can they do for me? I just took some BP medicine and an aspirin. I am pretty lost and mad over this. I also have a deviated septum and I am sure that is a big hindrance as well.

palerider

Re: Not doing well

Post by palerider » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:41 am

sleep sitting up,or as near as you can manage.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:28 am

Anthonym wrote:I took my BP and right now due to the lack of sleep it is 160/105.
I think that is more due your blood O2 dropping because of the apnea. Irritability, making poor decisions, etc. will be the result of no sleep.
Anthonym wrote:I need that cpap machine or some alternative TODAY or I may not sleep at all again and I am about to drop.
Check your local Craigslist under Health and Beauty for a reasonably priced cpap. But then you will have to work at sleeping with the mask on. With patience and determination that will happen.
Anthonym wrote:I also have a deviated septum and I am sure that is a big hindrance as well.
While that will help and takes time there are no magic bullets to help or cure sleep apnea. Just education and understanding.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:52 am

I read the OPs past messages and I'm guessing that anxiety is his main problem.

Cheriaz04

Post by Cheriaz04 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:52 pm

I had part 1 of a sleep study just before having surgery. From that night, a month ago my sleep has been in a horrific state. I sleep only a few hours a night. When I doze off, I wake myself like you mention. I sleep with two pillows to raise myself up. I also sleep on the sofa, so the arm raises me up even more. If you have a recliner, try it. I "wake" agitated and I pace the room. I have now had part 2 of my sleep study conpleted. I'm sorry you couldn't complete the study. Maybe it was too overwelming, but now you know what to expect and perhaps you can try again. Good luck. Know you are not alone.

Anthonym

Post by Anthonym » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:16 pm

I do have bad anxiety over this problem, no doubt about it. It is cruel and unusual punishment to not be able to doze off while everyone else is sleeping like a baby in the house or when you are just about to your nose or throat explodes with a noise and your breathing stops. I had 4 hours of sleep Thursday night, 2-3 Friday night, 2 hours during the day Saturday and 1-2 of semi-sleep that night and none at all from 1 am Sunday till now. I can't get a doctor visit till tomorrow morning so I am worried of another night with no sleep and what that will do to me physically. I went out and brought those breathing strips to try and maybe stop my nose from being the area that is screwing me most. I will try the cpap again, that much is certain. I don't want to do it at the sleep clinic though. I am also doubling down on my blood pressure meds to try and keep it at a safe enough level. Thanks for the replies I do appreciate it.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:44 pm

Anthonym wrote:I have severe sleep apnea, I tried the machine and mask and couldn't deal with it though I was a bit of a wreck and also all those monitoring wires at the sleep clinic didn't help either. I stopped the test and she told me to follow up with my doctor to discuss other options. My appointment is next week. Since Friday I have gotten maybe 4-5 hours sleep combined for the 3 nights. I can't sleep now, even though I took a Unisom. Everytime I get on the cusp of sleep I have a loud snort go off in my nose and I wake up. This happens when sitting up as well. I took my BP and right now due to the lack of sleep it is 160/105. It is normally around 125/85 or so. Not sure what I should do. I need that cpap machine or some alternative TODAY or I may not sleep at all again and I am about to drop. I was thinking ER but what can they do for me? I just took some BP medicine and an aspirin. I am pretty lost and mad over this. I also have a deviated septum and I am sure that is a big hindrance as well.

Comment,

I think that going to the ER in a hospital (Public or Private) is a good idea. Most of the physicians there know how to treat sleep disorders. They will check you up and make you fall sleep. Tell them about your loud snort. Overall, there is not much difference between your situation to that if you were choking after a fish bone stuck in your throat. Have someone drive you or take a cab.

p.s. I also stopped sleep studies and drove home, several times. One time it was because there was no thermostat in my room. Another time it was when the testing CPAP's humidifier used faucet water instead of distilled.

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

Anthonym

Post by Anthonym » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:46 pm

I felt I should follow up just in case what I say helps someone else. Like many of you I have sleep apnea. I have come to realize what made it get to the point where I have posted here a few times in the past year is my nasal issues. I have a deviated septum and my nostrils are small to begin with. Throw in the tongue issue of mostly blocking my airway and it makes it hard to breathe. But what I noticed was when I was just about to fall asleep and those muscles in my throat relaxed and removed a lot of my airway I would immediately wake up with a snorting issue from my nose. I decided to try those maximum strength breathe strips from CVS. When i put one on I was in literal shock. I have not had that much air go through my nose into my lungs in probably 2 decades. I almost pulled the damn thing off my nose because it made my chest feel so weird getting all that extra oxygen/air down into my lungs from my nose. I have not had the problem of not being able to sleep ever since I started wearing those strips a few weeks ago. It did not cure my sleep apnea but I am doing better, I can tell because when my apnea is real bad my mouth and tongue feel like sandpaper when I wake up, that is not happening anymore and I get 5-7 hours of sleep now. I am going to soon be getting the mouth piece from a certified dentist and I am hoping in combo with these nasal breathe right strips my problems will be mostly gone.

Raptorman

Post by Raptorman » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:50 pm

Your problem sounds almost exactly like mine. I was not getting any sleep at all at night and was up at least a dozen times. I choked no matter where I slept or what position I was in. I would go to work exhausted and would have to go to my car and sleep at lunchtime, I was always tired. I was able to start using CPAP immediately and didn't have much of a problem getting used to it. I couldn't imagine not going to sleep without it now. It's been a life saver, hope you're able to have better luck with your problem as well.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:46 pm

What about a visit to an ENT surgeon regarding the deviated septum?
A small purchase of a recording pulse oximeter just to sleep with on your finger may help provide more information for yourself and your doctor.
As far as the anxiety goes some supplements may be of help, L-Tryptophan, GABA, 5-HTP, Saint Johns Wort and amino acids
Also a good diet, most nervous people do not eat well or even drink enough water.

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:49 am

A couple of suggestions:

If you sleep sitting up, chin droop will still close off a lot of your airway. A soft cervical collar could be helpful here.
I "wake" agitated and I pace the room.
I had this issue and thought that it was anxiety or some sort of insomnia. In reality it was the fact that my apnea was not giving me the oxygen I needed and my body woke me up to deal with it. After lying on the floor on my side for a while this went away and I slept much better. Since CPAP, this has not reoccurred.

reolhlains

Post by reolhlains » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:19 am

Isn't it amazing all of the effects sleep apnea has - I'm so glad to read the follow up and that things have got a lot better with the strips - makes me wonder if I should have tried them before going straight to CPAP.
I absolutely hated my sleep study - I got 4.8 hours sleep during it, after taking about 3 hours to fall asleep (usually takes less than 2 mins!).
I'm so glad that there has been no mention of a titration study for me - I doubt I'd get though it! But, having the machine at home - I got used to it within about 3 seconds - and I'm sleeping more and more every night.
Good luck with everything- and keep us updated. I hope it all gets sorted!!

mrbreezeet1

Post by mrbreezeet1 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:33 pm

Well, I saw the breathe right strips on TV the past few days, and what lead me to search the group for breathe right.
I know what I'm trying tomorrow.
Question, do you have to use a new one each night, or do you use the same one a few days or a week or so?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Anthonym

Post by Anthonym » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:45 am

My issues disappeared for months and months and now seem to be back. I couldn't tolerate the CPAP machine but the breathe right strips helped me enough and I haven't even used them for the most part. But that snorting sound came back Saturday night at around midnight and I have been up ever since. No matter what position I get myself in once i get on the cusp of sleep I snort myself right out of it. I'm such a fool, I need to lose this extra weight, I would bet that is the reason. I have been having throat problems for quite a while now and I need to go follow up with that. My throat was killing me real bad last summer and the ENT said everything was clean. Someone at work said their husband was suffering and picked up that vital sleep mouth piece and it worked wonders for him. I think I will try it along with dieting and seeing the doctor again. I need sleep, I have no energy and it is only going to get worse now as I continue to not sleep. Resting is not good enough.

AMESS

Post by AMESS » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:51 am

Anth--I also have severe sleep apnea. 68 episodes per hr. On drugs for BP. Finally after 3 months of struggles I am starting to tolerate cpap. Events down to about 2-3 per hr. Motivation enough to keep me going. If it never gets better than that I am ahead of the game.

My suggestion--see doc about any other issues. But stick with the cpap. The options are not good. Cpap is an ongoing life time thing. .