Using A Cervical Collar/Contour Pillow For OSA - Edited

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mlfrank

Re: Using A Cervical Collar/Contour Pillow For OSA - Edited

Post by mlfrank » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:54 pm

I HAVE WONDERFUL SUCCESS WITH USING A COLLAR!

My experience since being 7 months CPAP compliant, is doctors that just keep increasing my pressure. My AHI varied each night from 3 to 16. 15cm H2O, and overall AHI average > 5, so the last doctor, in a bold move, said, "a 5 is equal to a 6 is equal to a 7!" AND to "stop looking at the data", and come back with more than a couple months of averaged data.

I pleaded that more time at the same pressure would not make the AHI come down.

Also, still having apneas of 1 minute 40 seconds.

Also, my FF mask was too loose, when I looked down, and too tight when my head was in a neutral position. What I needed was something to keep it neutral.

Got a collar, and my AHI went to 0.0, next night 0.2, etc. NEVER had my AHI been so low. Now, most of the AHI is because of the central apneas I was having. Had the collar for almost 30 days, incredible.

I am 5'-9" and 158lbs, so I think that makes me a 23.3 on the BMI scale.

I don't believe that I will be able to stop CPAP, but, a lower pressure would be nice.

Unless there is a medical reason to NOT try the collar, it is "worth" it to try.

mibbim

Post by mibbim » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:16 am

Hi, I am going to try the cervical collar while I am waiting for my sleep doctor on 11/29/16. I have an AHI 40, both central and obstructive apnea. I tried a bi-pap machine and mask for one week and gave up since I can't sleep at all. I sleep on my back, and want to try something for at least keeping my airway open before the appo. What is the oximeter? I guys my question is what kind of oximeter and alarm to go with this so that I know if it takes care of one of my obstructive apnea or not? Thanks!

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:36 am

Oximeters measure your oxygen (02), whether or not it drops overnight, when and by how much. Of course how much 02 you take in affects apnea, but unless you plan to go onto it instead of Cpap, I don't know whether or not you should be thinking about one right now as it can be a bit complicated - better to talk to your doctor when you see him. Use the collar for now, maybe even try sleeping in a recliner, or at least not on your back.

And as asked before please post all your notes in the same thread so we can keep track of everything as it happens - don't dig up old ones by other people even if the title mentions something you're interested in.

mibbim

Post by mibbim » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:09 am

Hi, when you suggested to sleep on a recliner, does that mean I should sleep with a sitting position on bed? I don't have a recliner now.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:46 am

Try it and see how you feel... the point being that certainly back sleeping (the worst for more apneas) is not a good idea, but if you can sleep on your front it will help.

Foxpro

Post by Foxpro » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:25 pm

My cpap did nothing for me. I used it for over a year. I am supposed to be getting
a collar tonight and am hoping that will help.

I have used an wrist Oximeter every day for 18 or so months and it is better than nothing.
I set the alarm to go off at 91. Once the alarm goes off I switch fingers causing the
alarm to temporarily stop and then roll to my side if I am on my back.

I also download my oximeter results every night and am trying to see patterns for when
my sleep apnea is better or worse.

I am surprised my doctors did tell me to try the collar. They are only about $10 on Amazon.
The new mask that didn't work for my cpap cost me around $200 so what is $50.
My apnea is worse on my back which is the only way I could sleep using a cpap.
I tried one of the wedges but it did not work for me.

Some things I have been doing to lesson the effects of sleep apnea are:
- stop drinking alcohol.
- Loose over 20 pounds
- Got a cpap machine Had trouble exhale using this device.)
- Get a oximeter.
- Seems like most of the time I stop breathing I am in my dreaming sleep mode.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:54 pm

Foxpro wrote:My cpap did nothing for me.
... Got a cpap machine Had trouble exhale using this device.
Well yeah, you didn't register here, login and get involved with experienced members who could help you. The CPAP success rate is very much higher for people who do that as compared to people who don't have a good internet support group.

You are unlikely to achieve Mars' success with a cervical collar.

But, you can always get the CPAP out of the closet and come back here to learn how to use it.

Collarap

Post by Collarap » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:14 pm

I found that a hard cervical collar works better. I have been using one for years now and I don't need a CPAP any more. The hard collar is better at keeping my airways open because it provides more support under my chin and stretches my neck. I found soft collars not so good because their flexibility allows too much jaw drop and sometimes my chin can drop down inside the collar.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:15 am

Yikes!

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:55 am

Collarap wrote:I found that a hard cervical collar works better.
want collar are you using ... I am currently using a soft one and have thought about a hard
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:06 pm

The correct differentiating terms are "rigid" (hard plastic) and "foam".

Foam cervical collars come in soft and firm. My personal experience is that firm foam works very well, and soft foam does not work as well.

There are two other important factors in the effectiveness of foam collars. First, is the width of the collar. Even though I am a small person, the 4-inch collar is comfortable for me.

The other factor is the adjustment of the collar. If the chin is dropping down inside the collar, the collar is probably adjusted too loosely. The collar does not have to be adjusted tightly - just enough so that the chin does not fall below the upper edge of the collar during the night.

Here are some examples of the different sizes of firm and soft foam cervical collars. I use the 4-inch firm. https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=d ... r&cat_id=0

Chevie

Skeptical

Post by Chevie » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:11 pm

Collarap wrote:I don't need a CPAP any more.
How do you know?

nikkwong

Post by nikkwong » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:16 pm

Bringing this post back up from the dead. Anyone have links to collars that they've had success with?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:47 pm

nikkwong wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:16 pm
Bringing this post back up from the dead. Anyone have links to collars that they've had success with?
Here is a link to what I have been using about five years. Despite being a small person, I use the DMI 4-inch firm. It felt like a lot when I first put it on. But, I quickly fell asleep and haven't looked back since.

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=d ... r&cat_id=0

Do note, this is being used with CPAP. It keeps my max pressure requirements down significantly and a very low AHI.