Quantcast

Bookmark and Share
General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
OboeVet

Re: Newbie would like to hear success stories, please.

Postby OboeVet on Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:10 pm

Thank you all for sharing your successful journeys! When I started in 2013 this virtual community definitely helped me through the hurdles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

wajg55
Also Posted As:
(Captain_Midnight)
(cherylgrrl)
(ChicagoGranny)
(ChrisD)
(Christine L)
(ClayL)
(codinqueen)
(DeadlySleep)
(DeepFriedDuck)
(Hang Fire)
(JaneAsimov)
(Jimmycrackhorn)
(JimW159)
(lahlah1)
(levman)
(Madalot)
(Midnight Strangler)
(raisedfist)
(robysue)
(Setj)
(squid13)
(Woody)
(xxyzx)

Postby wajg55 on Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:51 am

I started on CPAP 20 years ago. Getting used to the mask, the noise, and the pressure took a bit of stubbornness over a few weeks. I don't really remember how long that adjustment period lasted, but I do remember what happened a few weeks later...

As I walked down the hallway at work, I suddenly realized that I was awake. I remember looking around and thinking that everything looked different (clearer? brighter? crisper?). It became obvious to me in that moment that I had been a walking zombie for many, many years. My commitment to CPAP crystallized in that moment.

I have occasionally gone without CPAP for a night or two. After the first non-CPAP night, I am noticeably dragging and irritable. I feel very tired. After a second consecutive night without CPAP, I become totally useless. I cannot think, I cannot stand being around people, my overriding desire is to curl up and go to sleep. Fortunately, I have only experienced this a few times (maybe 10-20 times over the 20 years), just often enough to know what CPAP means to me.

I had another sleep study done recently. For those who like numbers, my oxygen saturation (O2sat) is under 90 half the time when I do not use CPAP; it occasionally drops to the 70's. With CPAP, it hovers around 97 and never drops below 95. Unlike most people, I consider O2sat to be the most important number to look at. If your blood doesn't have enough oxygen, that means your brain, heart, and other organs do not have enough oxygen. If this is chronic, it can lead to all kinds of medical issues. In my case, it led to atrial fibrillation and metabolic syndrome. Normal O2sat is somewhere in the upper 90's.

Arlene1963

Postby Arlene1963 on Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:23 pm

I've already posted to this thread and now, almost a year later, want to update.

My AHI is pretty consistently less than 1 most nights, most of those being central SWJ events, and finally, my flow limitation chart has been tamed, this is due to increasing my CPAP pressure to 9cm. Also, EPR 3 works wonders for me and transformed my CPAP use.

Thanks to advice I read here I learned to use a soft cervical collar to reduce mouth leaks and to help tame flow limitations.

I think it was Chunkyfrog who recommended to a poster that keeping a supply of wipes next to the bed to wipe off a nasal pillow (and face and nose too) during the night can be useful, and this has proved to be very helpful advice, as I would often wake up at night with what felt like a hot and sweaty nose. Snippets of advice like this has made adjusting to CPAP so much easier.

Honestly, any success I have in my treatment is largely due to finding several online Sleep Apnea forums that I've read and followed closely.

I am sleeping much better, feeling healthy and happy. My grateful thanks to those who provide advice and encouragement day in and out.

Previous

Return to CPAP and Sleep Apnea (CLICK HERE TO READ POSTS)