Empty nose syndrome

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Noctuary

Empty nose syndrome

Post by Noctuary » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:31 pm

This medical mystery — a byproduct of common nasal surgery — has stumped many doctors and scientists, some of whom suspect the suffocating condition may just be imaginary. But that isn’t making the people who feel suicidal over its horrific symptoms feel any better.
After lying low for about a week, Brett returned to his bartending gig. He told his doctor in follow-up appointments that something felt too “open.” The doctor assured him that barely anything was removed during the surgery, but over the next several months, Brett couldn’t shake the feeling that something was very wrong. His breathing was all messed up. In fact, he couldn’t even feel himself breathing through his nose. Instead of steady, rhythmic breathing, he felt like he was constantly coming up for air. And it was more than that. His senses felt dulled, like he’d had a lobotomy. Emotions he used to access easily now seemed far away, out of reach. Everything felt like nothing.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/joeloliphint/is ... .vyGgDDxMP

Something to think about for those considering surgery. Also, I understand the frustration of a xxxxx doctor essentially telling you its all in your mind.

Mask: Flexifit 407

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Empty nose syndrome

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:10 pm

Add to the list of possible negative side effects:
"Your STUPID doctor, convinced that you are a nutcase, will ignore you."

robysue

Post by robysue » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:07 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Add to the list of possible negative side effects:
Surgery is not required for that particular negative side effect.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:07 pm

Not specific to empty nose syndrome, but relating to CPAP in general.
Almost every day somebody comes on CPAPtalk and states that since CPAP they can no longer breathe correctly when trying to sleep at night. Either there's too much of a air surge, or there's too much back-pressure on exhale or they are suffocating etc etc. Who's to say?. I guess it boils down to: 'It's all in their mind' OR 'It's a 'legitimate medical complaint' OR it's a failure of the equipment. I suspect those are some of the initial tricky issues that causes newbies give up on CPAP at such an alarming rate. Often it takes a major effort to get things dialed in.... sometimes a big adjustment in perspective and attitude.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Noctuary

Post by Noctuary » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:18 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Add to the list of possible negative side effects:
I rather, ignore him. After he gave me a prescription for an anti-depressant that lists of of its side-effects as......wait for it.......fatigue!

Its the gooooooooold standard!

Noctuary

Post by Noctuary » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:21 pm

Sir NoddinOff wrote:Not specific to empty nose syndrome, but relating to CPAP in general.
Almost every day somebody comes on CPAPtalk and states that since CPAP they can no longer breathe correctly when trying to sleep at night. Either there's too much of a air surge, or there's too much back-pressure on exhale or they are suffocating etc etc. Who's to say?. I guess it boils down to: 'It's all in their mind' OR 'It's a 'legitimate medical complaint' OR it's a failure of the equipment. I suspect those are some of the initial tricky issues that causes newbies give up on CPAP at such an alarming rate. Often it takes a major effort to get things dialed in.... sometimes a big adjustment in perspective and attitude.
And then there are those who are compliant, comfortable with the equipment and mask, monitor their therapy, have consistently low ahi's but still feel wiped. Everyday.

Its the gooooooooold standard!

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:26 pm

I don't feel wiped; but once in a while, I feel old.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:48 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I don't feel wiped; but once in a while, I feel old.
At least if you use The Gold Standard you retain your body parts. Also if your foolish you can stop with all your parts intact. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:55 pm

Or I can wipe when a part gets moist.

Noctuary

Post by Noctuary » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:04 pm

I just get really bitter sometimes about all this, that's why I'm so negative. I have to learn to live with this, one way or the other.

kteague

Post by kteague » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:56 pm

Having worked in the Pathology Dept. of a hospital, I was amazed at the difference in the specimens removed by doctors. The two areas that stood out the most were turbinate resections and herniated disks. I could often tell which surgeon did the procedure just by seeing the tissue that had been removed. I don't know how to find out in advance how conservative a surgeon is, other than searching for complaints, but if possible, I'd prefer to ask a surgical nurse what doctor their family uses.