US DOT fact sheet regarding carry-on of medical equipment

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
wahooker

Post by wahooker » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:16 am

apneaicinisrael wrote:The jar of peanut butter in our carry on got confiscated, but the CPAP wasn't questioned.
What if you are a mouth breather that needs the Peanut butter to keep your mouth stuck closed while you sleep?

Ken from SF

pdf of Department of Transportation policy

Post by Ken from SF » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:25 pm

A pdf on letterhead of the US DOT statement quoted above relevant to flying with a CPAP as carry-on can be found at:

www3.respironics.com/download/download.cfm?file=factsheet_acaa.pdf

The relevant lines are:

"The limit of one carry-on bag and one personal bag (e.g., purse or briefcase) for each traveler does not apply to medical supplies and/or assistive devices. Passengers with disabilitiesgenerally may carry medical equipment, medications, and assistive devices on board the aircraft."

drummergirl410

Post by drummergirl410 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:24 pm

This is very helpful! I don't fly but want to, and would be bringing a myriad of the devices listed on board, inluding my white cane, braille notetaker, slate/stylus, xPAP, and growth hormone injections and other meds. I've bookmarked it for future reference.
Joined the Hosehead Club on 7/26/2007 100% Compliant for four months... and counting!

higgy

Post by higgy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:06 pm

I travel with my machine all the time, I am on 18-24 flights a month and I have never had a problem with taking my machine, this goes for domestic as well as international.

Some places do swab other do not, it is very "well what do I feel like doing" type of thing. At one airport I just went through and I had to go back out of the screened area. Five minutes later I went back through, same TSA staff and they swabbed the cpap. I had to ask, he told me they swab all cpaps, I pointed out that they don't and told him that HE did not swab mine 5 minutes a go. He got mad and started to get cranky, I just left.

TSA, an oxymoron.

lawdognellie

Post by lawdognellie » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:21 pm

I've been flying all over the place lately, including DC, Chicago, LAX, etc. Never had a problem with my CPAP. United commented on my 3 carry-ons, but once I said one was medical equipment, that was that. Heck. I even flew into DC with a 100 lbs service dog wearing a doggy backpack, my CPAP machine, a ridiculous amount of medications (in liquid form no less), and they barely blinked an eye. I just take the bubbly, innocent approach and they bend over backwards.

sarah

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:28 am

Does anyone happen to know if the 'extra carry-on' rule applies in Canada as well? I'm packing for my first flight with my cpap (nervous!) and I can't find anything about that from the CATSA website...

Zach

PinkCloud

Post by PinkCloud » Tue May 20, 2008 2:51 am

Hi there,

My friend has never had any problems when having it as a carry on they just let him go past without checking it.
| Label Printing | Printed Labels | - PinkCloud

bobtom115

Re: US DOT fact sheet regarding carry-on of medical equipment

Post by bobtom115 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:46 am

Good post. I appriciate it

pret personnel

bobtom115

Post by bobtom115 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:06 am

Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

pret personnel

uyairen

Post by uyairen » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:04 pm

[If a passenger has sleep apnoea they may carry their CPAP machine and ancillary equipment free of charge, however the use of these machines is not permitted inflight.
If the CPAP is within our cabin baggage dimensions (55cm x 40cm x 20cm) then it can be carried onboard and does not form part of the cabin baggage allowance. However, if the CPAP is larger than these dimensions it would need to be suitably packed and would be carried in the hold of the aircraft and would not form part of the checked baggage allowance.
Electronic CPAP machines are acceptable, however if the CPAP machine is battery operated the batteries used for CPAP are required to be non-spillable and the outer packaging must be marked "NON-SPILLABLE" or "NON-SPILLABLE BATTERY." If a battery is not labeled non-spillable, crew members will treat the battery as a spillable battery and will be unable to accept the CPAP for carriage.]
from ryanair.com

robertz

Post by robertz » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:06 am

The topic is very useful for me. I've learned also the comments. Thanks.