CPAP causing vertigo symptoms??

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Julie

Re: CPAP causing vertigo symptoms??

Post by Julie » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:10 pm

Well I'll answer part of that... if it really needs explaining

Why do you wash anything (dishes after rinsing) even though you know (or should) that chances of actually getting sick any time soon are fairly remote unless your immune system is shot? You do it 'because'. Because you prefer things to be clean. NOT supersterile, but life is more pleasant when things are clean. And when you breathe into/onto something all night that's up against your face, it's civilized and more pleasant to have it clean next time you use it. And if perchance some microbe actually did manage to affix itself after floating around the room, being on your beard, your long hair for the day, well it will hopefully go away in the wash. IF however, you tend to harbor Ebola and pestilence in your bedroom, I suppose sterilization would be called for - you never know after all. If you really need it explained... I mean waving a kid's lollipop around in the air for 10 mins (let alone being dropped on the floor) is standard and most kids survive.

Are you having fun yet?
Last edited by Julie on Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:14 pm

I can't speak for anybody else, but I clean my mask cushion so that I get a good seal. Otherwise, it tends to get slippery. I do not clean the hose or machine. I top off the water each night and change it fully when I travel (once or twice a month). I have been using cpap for almost 4 years. I have had two bad colds in all that time. Otherwise, just the one day sneeze kind of thing. Nothing big.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:25 pm

Julie wrote:I mean waving a kid's lollipop around in the air for 10 mins (let alone being dropped on the floor) is standard and most kids survive.
there's a growing body of evidence (that you're probably aware of) that the desire to raise children in a sanitary bubble is producing sick kids with compromised immune systems and allergies to everything.

feed your kids dirt, the early exposure to things helps them build healthy immune systems. eat pb&j sandwiches and your kids are much much much less likely to have nut allergies, etc. the more they're exposed to, the more their bodies can be prepared to deal with.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

johmons

Post by johmons » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:06 pm

I've been using cpap a long time and 1days ago I slept without it and awoke very dizzy and had a hard time walking. So this appears re the other comments that I've encountered the opposite, contracting vertigo from Not using cpap one night....I really appreciate all your comments, so it appears my situation is related, but different.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:21 pm

Cpap can lower blood pressure, and that might be what's happening to you when you first get up - do it very slowly, and if you can get access to a monitor (your doctor or pharmacist can recommend one) take it as soon as you awake, before getting out of bed and see what it says. Are you also taking any meds?

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:33 pm

johmons wrote:I've been using cpap a long time and 1days ago I slept without it and awoke very dizzy and had a hard time walking. So this appears re the other comments that I've encountered the opposite, contracting vertigo from Not using cpap one night....I really appreciate all your comments, so it appears my situation is related, but different.

It could be completely unrelated to cpap. Some people get the crystals in the ear that break off and mess with balance during movement. Other people get vertigo during an ear infection. Years ago, I woke up with the room spinning fast. If I closed my eyes, I felt like I was in an earthquake. My ears were reporting movement that my eyes were not. So my eyes were constantly moving, trying to track the motion that didn't exist, causing the room to spin.

This happened over a year before I started cpap. It had nothing to do with cpap whatsoever. And it only happened twice, in that week, back in 2011. I am more susceptible to balance and dizziness due to seeing something spin, or a cold going to my ears. I now feel "off" and know to take meclizine (motion sickness/ anti-nausea medication) to make it go away.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

rbaquera

Post by rbaquera » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:52 pm

I went searching online to see whether anyone other CPAP users were having issues with vertigo. I recently had the pressure on my machine raised (in November) and though I sleep better; have since had 3 vertigo spells. I live in the El Paso area and have seen several doctors for this but none ever thought that perhaps the cause could be the pressure. Once I saw the various posts of people having similar symptoms, I immediately called my doctor to schedule an appointment. In retrospect, I started having vertigo years ago when I first started using the CPAP but never occurred to me that this could be the cause. Once I see my doctor will post the results.

Hope Mares

Post by Hope Mares » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:18 am

I have been on a CPAP machine for about 10 years and have never had problem. I get better sleep with it. Recently went in for a sleep study as my machine is old. The assistant put the pressure real high, and it made my mouth fly open continually. I asked her to lower it and she did very little. She told me I sleep with my mouth open, (I know I dont because my mouth is so dry in the morning, I cant open it without a little work) She continued to tell me the same thing. When I got my machine, It starts on 6 and ramps up to 10-14. Once it ramps up I cant sleep because it continually makes my mouth fly open. I was down with vertigo last week, and i was noticing that once it ramped up that I would feel light headed. I have stopped using it until the doctor readjusts the pressure. Too much pressure is bad. You shouldnt feel a bit change once its on, but you do get a better nights rest. Hope this helps.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:22 am

Hope Mares wrote:I have stopped using it until the doctor readjusts the pressure.
You should hang around here and learn to manage your own therapy. An educated patient can do it much better than any doctor.

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:32 pm

Your mouth is dry because it's open all (or half) the night and the trouble you have opening it is because it's dry instead of normally lubricated. Normally it wouldn't be if you didn't mouth breathe (or do you do that in the daytime too and not realize after so long it's not normal?).

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:41 pm

I have the same issue. I was taking meds for my BP before my second sleep study fitting. When I awoke I could not even drive home. It’s been a few months now and no change. Either it’s the CPAP, meds or a combination of both. I am slowly being taken off one of the medications to see if that’s the issue. Looking back, I don’t recall feeling this way until my fitting. This idea that a CPAP can’t cause side effects is a load of crap. I am even questioning the benefits as I am not feeling any when I wake up. Just dizzy as hell, and not clear. Never ever had this problem until
The meds and CPAP.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:55 pm

I had what I thought was vertigo a couple of times several years ago,
but it turned out to be a panic attack from unreasonable stress at work.

jcaxico

Post by jcaxico » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:31 pm

msr0459
It seems like I wrote your problem. I had a vertigo attack which I have never had in my life but the pulmonary doctor gives me the runaround that its impossible to get vertigo with CPAP.
I am 70 years old

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:52 pm

Why do you (or doc) assume it's from Cpap? See a neurologist - many other reasons for vertigo than cpap.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:53 pm

This thread was started NINE years ago.
The original poster has been gone for three.
Probably died.
Just for spite.
Proving that vertigo from cpap is extremely rare, or impossible.