CPAP causing vertigo symptoms??

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: CPAP causing vertigo symptoms??

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:48 pm

Another thing I no longer have since starting cpap.
Early on, I did feel "high" a couple times; but it was probably all that wonderful oxygen.

c_harewood

Post by c_harewood » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:37 am

I have been using Cpap for many years with no problems however this year I change my insurance and was given a different machine a use rental , from the first day I used it my head hurt really bad and I call the company who told me it is no way related to cpap, I did on night on and one off to see the headache stop and the dizziness started and got worse for over 3 months I am going to all the doc. and no one can find anything. I went on vacation and took the old Cpap machine with me cause it is lighter after three days all dizziness stop I was away for 5 weeks no dizziness ,can you believe I came back use the other machine and the dizziness is back , I change my pillows , and look around my room to see what can it be in this room that is making me ill. Funny enough is only tonight that I put it together woke up at 3:45 am to go to bathroom and could not move fell back in bed too dizzy, then it hit me check the Internet to see if any one else having this problem.
Well I am and as of tonight I will come off for a few days and see how I feel then go from there.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:34 am

c_harewood wrote:I have been using Cpap for many years with no problems however this year I change my insurance and was given a different machine a use rental , from the first day I used it my head hurt really bad and I call the company who told me it is no way related to cpap, I did on night on and one off to see the headache stop and the dizziness started and got worse for over 3 months I am going to all the doc. and no one can find anything. I went on vacation and took the old Cpap machine with me cause it is lighter after three days all dizziness stop I was away for 5 weeks no dizziness ,can you believe I came back use the other machine and the dizziness is back , I change my pillows , and look around my room to see what can it be in this room that is making me ill. Funny enough is only tonight that I put it together woke up at 3:45 am to go to bathroom and could not move fell back in bed too dizzy, then it hit me check the Internet to see if any one else having this problem.
Well I am and as of tonight I will come off for a few days and see how I feel then go from there.

Which two machines do you have, and are you sure that the settings are the same for both machines?

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Cannuck 1

Post by Cannuck 1 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:23 am

Vertigo or Dizziness on Auto cpap or Cpap
I know that this subject has been talked about before and the folks here have put a lot of good ideas, theories and good practice for proper use of XPAP devices.(I have borrowed and experimented ideas-thanks)
Vertigo(room spinning feeling) basically small crystals that have moved from their normal resting area of inner ear that keep our balance. There are other causes like blown ear drum, infections, atmospheric pressure change….etc.
I was suffering from vertigo and did not know the cause and I was basically searching why?
Thank the Apnea folks or our creator himself for directing me here and other boards that have me narrow my final conclusion.
I have looked over other posts and see a whole host of problems and remedies that can help.
I have been on Auto cpap for approx. 7 good yrs and was having issues with dizziness just in the last few months ago and had my wife take me to emergency with first bad episode thinking I was having a heart attack or stroke or some other aliment.(Doctor diagnosed me quickly with vertigo)
Vertigo could be a problem for cpap users at the start or later in life of use I believe.(oh I know how do you prove it- skeptics are about.)
As we age or how we have developed from birth are factors no doubt.
So here are some solutions that I have done to correct these Vertigo issues.
1) Buy the latest affordable Auto cpap machine you can with SD card reader with changeable pressures , climate hose, humidifier, and breathing settings- Epr,a-c flex etc.
2) Download sleepyhead software (thank the creators of this software-donate if possible) because it will help you find settings that will help you not over pressure up more than is needed.( you might need extra pressure or lower pressures for other reasons later in life.)
3) You have to overcome Vertigo to get the most out Auto Cpap so I use the “home EPLEY maneuver”. Avoid fast tossing in bed that seems to trigger my episodes. – avoid sleeping on the ear that is affecting you as much as possible I’m concluding. After issues subside do EPLEY maneuver once in a while before bed it will not bother you, it’s so easy!
4) It could be a internal infection that is causing Vertigo so keeping you equipment clean until its under control would be a good start.(eliminating one more possible cause)
5) Keep a ceiling on the high pressure side of machine in case of mask leaks after you get your mask set properly for leaks.(I think they all leak a little)
Why- because when on Auto cpap the machines inject more air pressure to overcome a leak it takes time to whined pressure’s down after mask finds its sweet spot in the middle of the night while sleeping-sealed again turning in pillow.( I had my older machine almost blow my mask off –waking me up-rarity.)
6) I like a small pressure range 8cm/h2o ceiling with 7.4 cm/h2o Epr#3 on lower end- I’m trying to get a close to a constant pressure.(it feels natural to me) Other folks have higher settings with no issues.(great they have healthy internal organs) Bi-pap users have constant pressures on inhaling – exhaling. I have very low AHI for now <1 usally.
7) Pressure settings should be set for just what you need (not exceeding for a backup in case of drinking binges.)
Go to advanced search, type in vertigo or dizziness on topics this site and there are a lot of good posts to look through.(wealth of information)
Best to all

Danimal74

Post by Danimal74 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:57 pm

I am wondering if a dirty CPAP can casuse vestibular neuritis and result in severe vertigo, nausea, and afterward migraine?

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:32 pm

Danimal74 wrote:I am wondering if a dirty CPAP can casuse vestibular neuritis and result in severe vertigo, nausea, and afterward migraine?
viewtopic/t110123/Dirty-CPAP-amp-Vestib ... l#p1053885

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:03 pm

Danimal74 wrote:To everyone else: I realize VN is more likely viral than bacterial, and I realize an unlean CPAP can result in bacteria, so I was wondering if anyone came across any information possibly indicating a connection, regardless of the odds.
bacteria don't just spontaneously pop into existence, and your FUD of 'dirty cpap' is overblown.

go research your made up problem, or talk to your doctor.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:24 pm

Danimal74 wrote:I am wondering if a dirty CPAP can casuse vestibular neuritis and result in severe vertigo, nausea, and afterward migraine?
Why not just keep the CPAP clean and avoid wondering?

icipher

Post by icipher » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:30 pm

For what it's worth, i've been on ASV for 2.5 years now, and I've had 2 or 3 experiences with waking up with bad vertigo. Each time has occurred while wearing the ASV. I believer there is a connection.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:42 pm

icipher wrote:For what it's worth, i've been on ASV for 2.5 years now, and I've had 2 or 3 experiences with waking up with bad vertigo. Each time has occurred while wearing the ASV. I believer there is a connection.
Assuming you have used your machine every night during that 2.5 years, you have awakened 909 or 910 times without having bad vertigo compared to 2 or 3 times with bad vertigo.

icipher

Post by icipher » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:45 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
icipher wrote:For what it's worth, i've been on ASV for 2.5 years now, and I've had 2 or 3 experiences with waking up with bad vertigo. Each time has occurred while wearing the ASV. I believer there is a connection.
Assuming you have used your machine every night during that 2.5 years, you have awakened 909 or 910 times without having bad vertigo compared to 2 or 3 times with bad vertigo.
I have used it everynight, never missing one.

I am 32 years old and these have been the first times I've ever had vertigo. I can feel the pressure in my ears when I swallow with my mask on, as my ears plug up. I can tell it's messing with my inner ear.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:03 pm

icipher wrote:I am 32 years old and these have been the first times I've ever had vertigo.
I bet that you've never been that old before...

things change in our bodies.

it's *easy* to point at the cpap and say "I BLAME YOU!".

it's hard actually finding the true cause of things.

just sayin.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:25 pm

icipher wrote:I can feel the pressure in my ears when I swallow with my mask on, as my ears plug up. I can tell it's messing with my inner ear.
If it is of concern to you, have an examination by an ENT.

Good luck.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:54 pm

You might want to check out the drugs that can cause vestibular problems. Especially if you were taking antibioitcs for the tooth infection. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... able/tbl2/ This table came from this article. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2077664/
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:42 pm

I have had vertigo twice in my 43 years. Both occurrences happened in the same week, when I was 37. I went to two different ERs since I was out of town for the first occurrence and then home for the second. I had a CT scan, then went to an ENT. I was told that it was most likely a viral ear infection. This happened about 2 years BEFORE I started cpap.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?