Upcoming Gallbladder Surgery -Terrified of Anesthesia

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
GlowGal

Upcoming Gallbladder Surgery -Terrified of Anesthesia

Post by GlowGal » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:38 pm

Greetings all.

I suffer from OSA and have been on CPAP for 5 years.

I'm scheduled for gallbladder surgery on January 20th and am absolutely terrified. I've read that people with OSA can have alot of issues with general anesthesia. I've never been put under and am so worried that something is going to happen.

Has anyone had GB surgery with a spinal or epidural rather than a general due to OSA?

I'm losing sleep over this.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Upcoming Gallbladder Surgery -Terrified of Anesthesia

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:49 pm

I only had general anesthesia; there are some things you may not want to be awake for.
Is there a family history of sensitivities to anesthesia, Rx meds, or alcohol?
If so tell them--every chance you get.
If you are in a decent facility (hospital), apnea will be accommodated. I had four surgeries this year, and
I was intubated for a couple of my procedures, not for the other two.
I was monitored during recovery. I had an APAP provided in the room so I could sleep.
You will want to remind the anesthesiologist about your apnea and bring your own mask.
On my phone, I had a screen shot of my machine's display, showing settings for the RT who set up the hospital machine.
And, yes, I had anxiety before every time I was put under.

stepyou

Post by stepyou » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:02 pm

I had my wisdom teeth out under a general last month and in my pre-surgery questionnaire let them know that I had UARS so they would be aware of my teeny tiny airway. Are you able to talk through your concerns with the surgeon or a nurse in the department?

I was more worried about the needle as I'm a bit phobic so I was able to get some numbing cream from my doctor (I was skeptical but I couldn't feel my hand at all!) so maybe your doctor could suggest something- maybe some anto-anxiety meds?

49er

Post by 49er » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:05 pm

GlowGal wrote:Greetings all.

I suffer from OSA and have been on CPAP for 5 years.

I'm scheduled for gallbladder surgery on January 20th and am absolutely terrified. I've read that people with OSA can have alot of issues with general anesthesia. I've never been put under and am so worried that something is going to happen.

Has anyone had GB surgery with a spinal or epidural rather than a general due to OSA?

I'm losing sleep over this.
Hi,

You will be monitored very closely by an anesthesiologist during the surgery. Don't know if you will be intubated or not but you might want to ask about that as well as asking about the various anesthesia options.

Here is what else you need to think about. Make sure your surgeon writes an order for your CPAP to be used the recovery room and on the floor. You might find that you wake up so quickly in the RR,that isn't necessary. But still, it should be immediately accessible.

I would also ask to meet with someone in the anesthesia department a few days before your surgery as I found this to be very helpful before my septoplasty as it greatly reduced my fears. Be aware they will discourage you from doing this by stating you will get to meet with him/her on the day of the surgery. Don't be put off by that and insist on the meeting ahead of time as meeting with an anesthesiologist on the day of the surgery when you are already feeling like crap is not very conducive to asking good questions. You probably won't meet with the person who is doing your surgery but they can make notes in your chart so the anesthesiologist doing your case has all the information.

Anyway, have a list of questions to ask and get everything out in the open. I was very lucky and dealt with a great anesthesiology resident who addressed all my concerns. Hopefully, you will have the same experience.

Your fears are understandable but you will do fine.

49er

klv329

Post by klv329 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:03 pm

Yeah, discuss it ahead of time, and have your machine and mask ready to roll! I wish I had brought my own machine and mask to my gallbladder surgery. The hospital wanted me out the same day, but I couldn't. So the doc okayed the night stay and the nurse rolled in this giant noisy contraption from the middle ages and a mask that didn't fit, and asked me why I wasn't prepared and why didn't I bring my own machine and mask and of course they complained about the hospital. I think it was laproscopic surgery, didn't need pain killers afterwards at all. That was the second time I was supposed to be out the same day but couldn't. The first time at another hospital I got a respironics but they wouldn't adjust the pressure so I did, and the FFM wouldn't stay on so I had to jimmy rig it a bit. Now I know to discuss it ahead of time, and to have my own machine and mask with me, if I ever have surgery again because I'm probably not going home the day of the surgery. Even if I had asked on either occasion, I doubt the doctor would have known what type of machine the hospital had available that day or if they would adjust it upon request.

lindalrc

Post by lindalrc » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:46 am

Of course you will not relax - but a watchful and educated approach can make the internal turmoil manageable. Be sure you understand what is supposed to happen in the surgery, how long, recovery expectations etc etc.

BRING YOUR OWN CPAP!!!! My spouse and I are both on machines - and the medics we have been involved with all repeat that suggestion. Much easier to take it than to find someone who understands the equipment who can go to your home and get it. So (between the two of us) the machines have gone to 2 colonoscopies, one day surgery, two emergency room visits that turned into overnight, and one abdominal and stay-in-the-hospital surgery over the past 8 years. A good hospital should have apnea and CPAP/XPAP on that questionnaire list you are handed about health issues and the nurse should go over it with you. And, of course be sure the anesthesiologist knows. REPEAT the info to them early and often (just like voting ).

BTW: As an encouraging sign about hospitals, when I was up for the planned abdominal surgery with general anesthesia, I had an in-person pre-admission interview about 10 days ahead. Not only did they ask about apnea, they also requested completion of a one-page questionnaire that was clearly an apnea screen. It was pretty apparent that there would be some sort of followup if the questionnaire suggested problems. I also went to my sleep doctor (at her suggestion) and they did a 30 minute lung capacity workup to look for any anticipatable problems. Brought results with me.

The idea of a screen display shot for documentation is excellent.

Good luck and try to mitigate the tension.
Lindalrc

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:02 am

lindalrc wrote: . . .
The idea of a screen display shot for documentation is excellent.
I might add that the RT was delighted I made his job easy for him.

corwin1968

Post by corwin1968 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:44 pm

I had my gallbladder out in March and the only issue I had with anasthesia was that it took me a little longer to fully come out of it. I have very severe OSA (AHI = 115) and weigh 400 lbs and am probably a worst case scenario and it wasn't a big deal. It's normal to be nervous but you will be in the hands of a lot of very talented, very dedicated and very highly trained people!

ETA: I wasn't yet on a BiPAP machine when I had my gallbladder out so I was completely untreated.

Michelle-OH

Post by Michelle-OH » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:30 pm

I had mine out over a yr. ago, before I had my cpap and did fine coming out from the anesthesia. Was scared too, but I bet you will do great!

Too tall

Post by Too tall » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:27 pm

Don't be concerned with anesthesia. Tell them you have sleep apnea but it's not an issue because they monitor your O2 etc etc.. and often put a tube down your throat for O2. Just enjoy those 30 seconds of upphoria while the drugs are kicking in.
System One RemStar Pro with C-Flex+ (460P)

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:05 pm

Once I used the huge machine at the hospital and the smell nauseated me. Thereafter, I knew to bring my own.

GlowGal

Post by GlowGal » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:07 pm

Thank you everyone!! Your responses are helping calm my nerves.

The pre-op questionnaire that I completed asked whether I had OSA to which I answered yes. I also just found out that I will get to meet with the Anesthetist 2 - 3 days before my surgery. I'm going to go prepared with questions.

On top of the fear of being put under I'm afraid of being incubated and having something bad happen to my teeth. I have a small mouth and I don't want to become toothless in the process. I've read horror stories of people losing their teeth and that just adds to my anxiety!

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:20 pm

Talk to the anesthetist about intubation (breathing tube) - incubation's for preemies - and he'll probably tell you it won't even happen.

49er

Post by 49er » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:28 pm

GlowGal wrote:Thank you everyone!! Your responses are helping calm my nerves.

The pre-op questionnaire that I completed asked whether I had OSA to which I answered yes. I also just found out that I will get to meet with the Anesthetist 2 - 3 days before my surgery. I'm going to go prepared with questions.

On top of the fear of being put under I'm afraid of being incubated and having something bad happen to my teeth. I have a small mouth and I don't want to become toothless in the process. I've read horror stories of people losing their teeth and that just adds to my anxiety!
GlowGal,

I didn't fear losing my teeth but I had fears of having the sore throat from h-ll and suffering god knows what other adverse affects. To make a long story short, I had no problems whatsoever and would never have known that I was intubated for the septoplasty if they hadn't told me ahead of time it would be occurring.

Happy to hear you are getting to meet with the anesthesiologist ahead of time. I think that will really help your anxiety in getting everything out in the open.

49er

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:17 pm

A while back I had 2 blood clots on my brain. The surgery went well and of course I was intubated and monitored closely during the surgery and in recovery.. Afterward I had my head wrapped in a turban and could not use a CPAP. The head of my hospital bed was raised and they told me that they would monitor my 02 levels closely. I was only in the hospital for 3days after the surgery and because of the stitches on my head, I was told not to use my mask/machine for several days when I got home. I just used a recliner for a few days and then went back to my Quattro.