Mask Experiment Success

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Tom140ph

Mask Experiment Success

Post by Tom140ph » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:08 am

I have been using the Ultra Mirage FF mask for about a week.
This has been most uncomfortable and have had some kind of problem each night from taking the thing completely off to taking it apart in my sleep. ( I found the little rubber exhaust piece under my pillow )

I reached the point of split nights. Half with the mask/half without. At least I would get some breathing in.

I had an idea that went into effect last night and this is how it went:

I have one of those memory foam pillows that I shaved about 3/4" off the side. I placed my mask on it, traced around it, and cut out the shape.
I then cut out the center about a 1/2" from the edge making a memory foam gasket.
I placed the gasket on the mask and held it to my face and clipped the straps in.

All I could thing was "Wow! I can handle this!"

Now for the moment of truth. I turned on the CPAP and expected the leakage to be severe enough for the comfort to be too good to be true.
The leakage was so minor that when I tightened the strap a little more it was almost non-existant.

For the first time I slept the whole night through. No mask issues, no discomfort. I was able to sleep on either side.
I woke up feeling great.

Has anyone else tried this? Would anyone else be willing to give it a shot?
I would love to hear another opinion coming from experience.

~Tom

kurtchan

Post by kurtchan » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:54 am

Tom,

Great idea! Be careful, or you'll get a reputation as being the new McGyver of cpaptalk.com.

Thanks for sharing,

Kurtchan

WillCunningham

Post by WillCunningham » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:34 am

That sounds really cool. I am having a little trouble visualizing this. Is the gasket between the mask and your face? If I understand correctly you cut out a mask cushion like memory foam "donut". You put that donut on your face, then used the mask to strap it down to your face? Do I have that right or am I picturing it wrong? Thanks!

Tom140ph

Post by Tom140ph » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:56 am

Will, you are correct with the donut assumption. It just needs to be the same shape as the mask. Everything on the mask still stays intact.
The foam just gets placed on top of the (silicon?) seal, then to the face.

Kurt, this ould not be the first time for me "McGyvering" and certainly not the last.
Next I am thinking of placing aroma-therapy near the filter of the CPAP for the hell of it. I think lavender is relaxation? We'll see.

~Tom

OwlCreekObserver

Post by OwlCreekObserver » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:25 pm

Tom140ph wrote:Will, you are correct with the donut assumption. It just needs to be the same shape as the mask. Everything on the mask still stays intact.
The foam just gets placed on top of the (silicon?) seal, then to the face.
Tom, are you having any problem with this thing shifting around during the night?

OCO

Tom140ph

Post by Tom140ph » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:45 pm

Hi OCO,

The thing did not move one bit. Even when I switched from right side to left, it stayed in position. But that was just the first night. I'll see if i'm as lucky tonight

Sleep tight!

~Tom

Tom140ph

Post by Tom140ph » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:51 pm

Just to follow up from the 2nd night, I slept like a rock.
I don't think I moved from my right side all night given the pain in my shoulder and the mask print on my face.

I thought the CPAP had turned off sometime during the night because when I woke up I could not hear anything. I figured I had a major leak and the unit just shut down. So I went to peel the mask off and heard all the rushing air.
I thought, "wow. it worked again."

Now I need to work on not sleeping on my face so much...

kurtchan

Post by kurtchan » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:06 am

Tom,

Congrats! It sounds like your re-inventing has helped a great deal and that you're on the right track with your therapy. I would, however, caution you about the essential oil. Remember that the machine is "forcing" air into you all night long and, even placed near the intake filter on the machine, it could draw more fragrance than you want or expect. Experiment with just a drop and see how it goes. It might be better to use a diffuser in your bedroom, rather than mess with the CPAP.

Let us know how it goes.

Kurtchan

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:19 am

Next I am thinking of placing aroma-therapy near the filter of the CPAP for the hell of it. I think lavender is relaxation? We'll see.
Airborne chemicals being concentrated by a blower and forced into your airway for eight hours per day? Bad idea. The goal for CPAP air should be as *few* contaminants (chemicals and particles) as possible. That's one reason I run a HEPA air cleaner in my bedroom, to scrub the room air that the CPAP sucks in.

Again, bad idea, and could possibly lead to bad effects in your body, such as potential lung problems.

Tom140ph

Post by Tom140ph » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:51 am

The goal for CPAP air should be as *few* contaminants (chemicals and particles) as possible.
The goal for my CPAP is to open my airway when I inhale.

I'm not talking about going overboard and soaking the filter in an oily perfume. Just a dab AWAY from the filter so the aroma is something different than humidified plastic all night.
I'll give it a shot. If it bothers me, I'll stop.

rotoplooker

Post by rotoplooker » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:25 pm

could you take a pic of what you did with the foam pillow and share it with us, I'd love to see or pm me if you don't want to share it

many thanks

roto

Tom140ph

Post by Tom140ph » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:25 pm

could you take a pic of what you did with the foam pillow and share it with us
Absolutely.

Well, I'll try...

It's a bit of a crude cutout

But it works for me and is quite comfortable

If anyone else tries it, please post your experience with it.

~Tom

byront

Post by byront » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:46 am

Great thinkin' Tom - and nice job! You must be one of those totally outa the box type guys. I have a friend who just got one of those thin memory foam mattress toppers for his camper - wonder if he would miss a corner? Very creative! --- BT

rotoplooker

Post by rotoplooker » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:03 am

Awesome Tom!! thanks..that is one seriously pimped' FF mask, hope it works great for you.

roto