OT: Lunesta vs generic (Eszopiclone)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cby123

Re: OT: Lunesta vs generic (Eszopiclone)

Post by cby123 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:15 pm

I'm the guy who had the *Glenmark* generic Lunesta. It's garbage.

Not sure if it was the whole issue, but I can tell you, the Mylan generic for Lunesta (which I have now) is *way* more effective. Have had it for a week, and it works - first night it worked. Still may not be quite up to Brand, but very close, IMHO. Placebo? Always possible - but seems pretty dramatic and repeatable.

Jim

Cat Lover

Post by Cat Lover » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:54 am

I am so glad I found this post. I thought I was losing my mind. The last two weeks I have had the shittiest nights sleep with the generic. I don't take it every night, just a few nights a week. It was right after I picked up my generic lunesta made by Teva. I swear, I got a bad batch or something and I am going to find out if Walgreens carries the one made my Mylan, cuz this stuff is crap. I go to sleep and wake up either at 1:00 or so and can't go back to sleep.

Let me also say, I've been on the generic since last June. So it's either a bad batch or they changed the way they make it.
Susan

Mimsy

Post by Mimsy » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:33 pm

I've been on the generic by Mylan for a month now and I'm not happy. It helps me fall alsleep, but I don't stay asleep. For 3 years Lunesta has given me 4-5 hours of solid sleep, then a few more hours, pieced together. On Mylan, I get about 1 hour before I start waking up. I'm waking 10-15 times a night and never sleeping more than 1-2 hours uninterrupted. I'm miserable.

wants to sleep soundly

Post by wants to sleep soundly » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:22 am

I have taken Eszopiclone 3 mg. for 8 years. Just got new Rx thru RxOutreach manufactured by Dr. Reddy - prior rx wa Teva Pharmaceuticals. This new rx is less effective. FDA should be forced to make sure all generics are the same strength and fillers as brand. This is important!!!.

Blspeas

Post by Blspeas » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:38 am

Took generic first time last night made me feel terrible. Brand never did that!

typogenerator

Post by typogenerator » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:27 pm

Hey guys, I just found this board searching for information on whether Teva makes a less effective version of Lunesta than Sunovion. You all seem to concur with me that that is so.

GOOD NEWS! I got a different version of generic Lunesta from Walgreen's tonight and realized how similar it looks too brand Lunesta, namely the much darker blue and something less tangible. Much to my surprise, when I looked at the pharmaceutical name on the label it said SUNPHARMA. Vs Teva, of course.

So that's not one hundred percent Sunovion Pharmaceuticals, but given how pharmaceutical companies LOVE litigation, I'll BET it is. So please, go to your Pharmacy and demand they stock the Sunovion Pharmaceutical generic. Here in the US at least, I have always had good luck with Rite Aid on ordering from the generic company I needed for my Adderall. Ironically, the company I needed for Adderall was Teva. But that was before they bought Barr Pharmaceuticals and brought their product down to Barr's level.

Anyway, Mom and Pops types of pharmacies should have no problem ordering from one generic or another. Or maybe your best bet is an uninvested pharmacist at a chain drug store. But I think it is legitimate to state that the Teva Lunesta placebo is causing "allergic symptoms". Allergic symptoms being a nice day way to describe your problem that they need to respond to legally.

Good luck all. My email is user name plus Gmail.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:10 am

You're responding to oooold posts and the posters will probably never see your note.

Sweettea2u

Post by Sweettea2u » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:28 am

When I took the real Lunesta, I had energy enough when I got off of work to start a business, but my insurance company quit paying for it I developed a severe sinus infection and bone pain from the generic, and even though my doctor tried to write it we're only got the real Lunesta my insurance company still refused to pay for it, and a formulary exception was only good for a couple of months. Now I just take Soma for sleep and neck pain, but I felt a lot better with the real Lunesta, and it did not have all of the bad side effects

phutchings

Post by phutchings » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:17 am

i find that the generic form of Lunesta is rare effective at all. after years of the occassional help of the brand name product, i find the generic product that my insurbce company insistes upon is zero effective. if you haveto pay full retail is it exhorbitant. but even a doctor request for barand name generally does nothing at all.

AMESS

Post by AMESS » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:24 am

Using restoril as sleep aide. First couple nights woke up drugged. Called doc--she said yes it can happen on Cpap. Now on half dose and getting off altogether,

49er

Post by 49er » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:49 am

AMESS wrote:Using restoril as sleep aide. First couple nights woke up drugged. Called doc--she said yes it can happen on Cpap. Now on half dose and getting off altogether,
I had taken it on a PRN basis until being diagnosed with lymphoma earlier this year. Unfortunately, I started taking it full time and I wish to heck I hadn't.

Slowly tapering off of it.

49er