Considerable Increase in AHI

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Day_Dreamer

Re: Considerable Increase in AHI

Post by Day_Dreamer » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:56 am

Wulfman... wrote:[

This is all "baby steps". The vast majority of folks don't have an overnight "restoration"......it's a slower, progressive journey.

Den

x2

It could take some time. Took me 5 months before I started to feel better

I felt worse before I felt better... So I am glad you fired the Tool

I am in NYC and have researched sleep Doc's PM me if you need a recommendation.......

Avoid the one that advertises in the News paper!

Hang in there!

BTW What is your caffeine consumption on a normal day?

nycdug

Post by nycdug » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:24 pm

Day-Dreamer, I'm not in NYC anymore. I moved to Nashville. I don't drink too much coffee. Usually only one cup first thing in the morning, sometimes up to three cups but that's only if I order an Iced Coffee that is 30oz and I don't drink coffee after Noon, ever. I am at work by 9am so I'm usually done drinking coffee by 10am. Sometimes I don't drink any. I pretty much stick to water after that.

I've been thinking about what Den was saying. While I was wearing the mask watching TV, I noticed that when the pressure jumped to 10 I couldn't exhale until the C-Flex kicked in and that still took three breaths or so. I'm sure that was jolting me awake. I just wonder if running a constant pressure of 8 is too low if the machine is jumping to 10. I thought the machine automatically adjusted the pressure higher because that is the pressure I need and running a constant pressure of 8 may not be enough. Maybe 9 is the happy medium.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:57 pm

nycdug wrote:Day-Dreamer, I'm not in NYC anymore. I moved to Nashville. I don't drink too much coffee. Usually only one cup first thing in the morning, sometimes up to three cups but that's only if I order an Iced Coffee that is 30oz and I don't drink coffee after Noon, ever. I am at work by 9am so I'm usually done drinking coffee by 10am. Sometimes I don't drink any. I pretty much stick to water after that.

I've been thinking about what Den was saying. While I was wearing the mask watching TV, I noticed that when the pressure jumped to 10 I couldn't exhale until the C-Flex kicked in and that still took three breaths or so. I'm sure that was jolting me awake. I just wonder if running a constant pressure of 8 is too low if the machine is jumping to 10. I thought the machine automatically adjusted the pressure higher because that is the pressure I need and running a constant pressure of 8 may not be enough. Maybe 9 is the happy medium.
Yeah, your breathing when awake is not like it is when asleep, so it was more likely to jump up while you were watching TV.

Like I said, it's your therapy. But, if you TRY 8 for a few nights and there are still residual events, move it up .5 or 1 cm. at a time. In reality, your machine in Auto mode is going up more than that, but that's what's creating problems for you.
And, again, I really didn't see too many events above your minimum setting. It's once it gets higher is when the events start to appear.

Den

nycdug

Post by nycdug » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:33 am

Hi Den, I gave straight CPAP a try for the past two nights. Thursday didn't go well at all. I just didn't sleep well. Last night wasn't too bad but my AHI went up slightly more even though my OSA is so low. I'm finding that I am pulling the mask and chinstrap off without knowing it. Sometimes just the chinstrap.

Last night I pulled the chinstrap off later which I think is why there are all of those leaks coming from my mouth puffing open every so often. I have to admit the 8.5cm pressure was much more tolerable than 10cm was.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:22 am

nycdug wrote:Hi Den, I gave straight CPAP a try for the past two nights. Thursday didn't go well at all. I just didn't sleep well. Last night wasn't too bad but my AHI went up slightly more even though my OSA is so low. I'm finding that I am pulling the mask and chinstrap off without knowing it. Sometimes just the chinstrap.

Last night I pulled the chinstrap off later which I think is why there are all of those leaks coming from my mouth puffing open every so often. I have to admit the 8.5cm pressure was much more tolerable than 10cm was.
Looks like a big improvement to me. Remember, this is "baby steps". I'd say give it a few more nights and then see what a straight 9 cm. looks like (unless the numbers drop some more where you're at now).

Den

nycdug

Post by nycdug » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:38 am

Last night's AHI numbers look a lot better! I did not take my usual Ambien to fall asleep. I usually have to with the mask but I figured I would give it a shot since it was Saturday.

I remember waking up several times especially when I rolled over to my right side (my preferred side) because my mask would leak and the air blowing in my face would wake me. I also noticed leaking through my mouth a few times later in the night so I tightened the chin strap. For me, the chin strap is worse than the mask in terms of comfort and I have the Respironics Premium which is relatively comfortable but not if I have to wear it that tight. I don't like anything covering my head. I don't even wear hats.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:52 am

nycdug wrote:Last night's AHI numbers look a lot better! I did not take my usual Ambien to fall asleep. I usually have to with the mask but I figured I would give it a shot since it was Saturday.

I remember waking up several times especially when I rolled over to my right side (my preferred side) because my mask would leak and the air blowing in my face would wake me. I also noticed leaking through my mouth a few times later in the night so I tightened the chin strap. For me, the chin strap is worse than the mask in terms of comfort and I have the Respironics Premium which is relatively comfortable but not if I have to wear it that tight. I don't like anything covering my head. I don't even wear hats.
Yep! Hope you're feeling better, too.
It can take awhile for things to settle down, so I'd leave it where it's at for a few more nights to see what happens. Then, you can decide whether to leave it or do a small increase in pressure.

Den

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:54 am

I also noticed there were NO Apneas of any kind.

Den