Newbie with a sensitive nose :(

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RicaLynn

Re: Newbie with a sensitive nose :(

Post by RicaLynn » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:36 am

OK, did the lip balm, adjusted the tension on the headgear, all was well until I had to take a bathroom break. As soon as I put the P10 back on, my nose was on fire! Tried for a few minutes to get back to sleep with it, but realized it was pointless as all I could think about was how much it hurt. It's 4:30am, I normally get up around 6, so I figure that two hrs isn't going to do too much harm. We'll try again tomorrow with Lansinoh (have to get to the store today), but I'll likely be calling my DME Monday to ask about a nasal mask for backup. owie my poor schnoz!

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:29 am

RicaLynn wrote:We'll try again tomorrow with Lansinoh (have to get to the store today)
At Walmart Lansinoh is not in the pharmacy section but with the baby bottles. So any place that sells baby bottles (not just a pharmacy) may also carry the Lansinoh.

In the pharmacy section you can find other pure lanolin products but most cost more than Lansinoh.

RicaLynn

Post by RicaLynn » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:58 am

I just took a pic of my nose to get a different angle, and I've noticed there's a disparity in the size of my nostrils. I don't know if it's my nose or if it's the inflammation of my nares that's causing it. I look like a pizza faced teenager :-\

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:31 pm

RicaLynn wrote:OK, did the lip balm, adjusted the tension on the headgear, all was well until I had to take a bathroom break. As soon as I put the P10 back on, my nose was on fire!
if I remember, I also used a little bit of lidocane cream on my nose a couple times. between that and the lanolin your schnozzola should be good in no time (I've also been known to mix in a little antibiotic ointment, of course I'm not *recommending* that, because that would be medical advice )

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

RicaLynn

Post by RicaLynn » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:59 pm

Ya know, I was thinking lidocaine ointment would be fantastic, IF I could find a non-petroleum based one...

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:03 pm

Short term use of a petroleum based product isn't going to be that damaging to the nasal pillows. Just long enough to get you passed this initial stage of discomfort. So if some Lidocaine helps...go for it.
Mainly the "no petroleum based products" thing is for long term potential damage to the silicone.

Your P10 mask should have included 3 sizes. If you got the for Her version it should come with XSmall, Small and Medium.
If you got the regular version it should come with Small, Medium and Large.
Your DME should have given you all 3 sizes to try.....call them up and request what you and your insurance paid for.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

RicaLynn

Post by RicaLynn » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:13 pm

Guess I get a new mask then, I got the for Her and I'm wearing the M now...

Never thought my nose was that big

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:16 pm

You need to maybe also try the Small....which should have been included in your package.

The nasal pillows can be bought separately though...and I bet your DME has a Large laying around somewhere.
Call them up and tell them you want to try going up and down a size.
You don't have to get an entire new complete package to get a different size. Heck, you can find them on EBay and if you are ordering from cpap.com with their shipping for a buck thing....you can get one from them but your DME should also have the other sizes.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

RicaLynn

Post by RicaLynn » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:19 pm

So all the P10 pillows fit either mask (his/hers)?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:21 pm

Yes...the nasal pillows fit both the for Her and regular. The only difference is the color of the headgear and the 3 sizes of masks that are normally included in the package.
So the nasal pillows are sort of "Unisex" .... The Medium in the for Her package is the exact same Medium as in the regular package.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:25 pm

RicaLynn wrote:OK, did the lip balm, adjusted the tension on the headgear, all was well until I had to take a bathroom break. As soon as I put the P10 back on, my nose was on fire! Tried for a few minutes to get back to sleep with it, but realized it was pointless as all I could think about was how much it hurt. It's 4:30am, I normally get up around 6, so I figure that two hrs isn't going to do too much harm. We'll try again tomorrow with Lansinoh (have to get to the store today), but I'll likely be calling my DME Monday to ask about a nasal mask for backup. owie my poor schnoz!
A suggestion: When you have to get up for the bathroom, don't remove the mask. Simply uncouple the hose and mouth-breathe until you get back into bed and hook back up to the machine. No disturbance in the fit (and an avoidance of the pain you're experiencing right now when putting the mask on).
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

RicaLynn

Post by RicaLynn » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:49 pm

BRILLIANT!!!

(Now why didn't I think of that?...)

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:08 pm

RicaLynn wrote:Ya know, I was thinking lidocaine ointment would be fantastic, IF I could find a non-petroleum based one...
Agreeing with Pugsy on this... I am not sure if some masks (pillows, etc.) are made of different type of material or what but I will say I have used petroleum products without any damage at all.

A Warning here tho - I would not experiment with out having a spare on hand, period. Well unless I was in pain

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:06 pm

The full name is "Lanisnoh HPA Lanolin." Lanisnoh makes many products. You don't want to get the Lanisnoh diaper rash cream by mistake.

There might be some residue from the manufacturing process on the pillows. People usually aren't allergic to silicone per se, but there might be something left over in or on the mask.

Wash the pillows really well with something that won't leave a residue. Avoid fancy cleaners with things like scents or hand softener. You want pure "chemically" detergent style cleaners that remove everything and don't leave a residue. As long as you get down to the silicone (translucent rubbery stuff), it's perfectly safe to clean it in the dishwasher. Many people actually lightly boil their silicone parts in water with a little baking soda.

Try wash your nose really well before bedtime, too. Whatever's on the surface of your skin might cause irritation when the mask rubs it in and holds the moisture next to your skin. Be sure you don't have other makeup or skin cream on your nose.

Lanisnoh HPA lanolin helps a lot of people, but greasy products may make acne worse.

When I switched over to nasal pillows from a nasal mask, I could only take the pillows for a few hours before I got sore. I gradually increased my usage time, and now I could wear them 24/7.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:14 pm

archangle wrote:The full name is "Lanisnoh HPA Lanolin." Lanisnoh makes many products. You don't want to get the Lanisnoh diaper rash cream by mistake.
now, see? nobody would mistake what I originally told the OP to get (before BB waggled her finger at me) for diaper rash cream!!!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.