Resmed Airsense 10 announced today. US availability 8/18/14

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Tino2You

Re: Resmed Airsense 10 announced today. US availability 8/18/14

Post by Tino2You » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:04 am

So maybe it is just me but this concerns me. Is the data encrypted that is sent wirelessly? It also seems to go only to your care provider. Seems that we are going to be locked out!

<snip from AirSense 10 User guide>
Therapy data
Your AirSense 10 device records your therapy data for you and your care provider so they can view
and make changes to your therapy if required. The data is recorded and then transferred to your care
provider wirelessly or via an SD card.
Wireless
Your AirSense 10 device is equipped with cellular communication. This allows your therapy data to
be wirelessly transmitted to your care provider to enhance the quality of your treatment
. The
Wireless signal strength icon displayed at the top right of your screen indicates the signal
strength.
<end snip>

-tino

Additional Comments: Autoset Pressure 9-15.6, EPR 1, no ramp
Tino

squid13

Post by squid13 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:00 am

The clinician ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet, AutoSet for Her, Elite & CPAP (combined manual)is available over at the Apnea board.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:08 am

squid13 wrote:The clinician ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet, AutoSet for Her, Elite & CPAP (combined manual)is available over at the Apnea board.
Gotta love those folks at the apnea board.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:41 am

At least one of the first to get one will need to send data to Mark. (if he wants it)

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:25 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:At least one of the first to get one will need to send data to Mark. (if he wants it)
oh, he wants it, all right... he was grumbling about not having gotten any yet

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:33 pm

palerider wrote:
balor123 wrote: There is one feature worth noting btw. The machine turns off when you take off the mask. The S9 only does that for nasal masks and only to start but not stop. The result? You need to push the stupid power button every time you need to get up. Quite a nuisance.
um, no.

every s9 I've had (elite, two vpap auto's and a vpap adapt I got for a friend) have *all* worked quite well,

I do sometimes have to cover the anti-asphyxiation openings on my full face mirage quattro and take a deep breath... but it *always* works.

the only time I've ever seen it not stop was when I put a nasal pillow mask on the machine and didn't change the mask settings. it just kept blowing. changed the mask settings in the machine and it cut off perfectly.

maybe something's wrong with yours.
Correct me if I'm wrong...(and I know you will)..but I always understood that the mask setting was just for the leak calculation.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:56 pm

LSAT wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong...(and I know you will)..but I always understood that the mask setting was just for the leak calculation.
I hope you meant that in a friendly way

the urban myth going around is that the mask setting is just for leak calculation. however, ... that theory falls apart if you look at it closely.

if you examine posted resmed mask leak charts, for instance
http://z5.ifrm.com/5902/67/0/p1032022/R ... _rates.pdf

you'll see that there are greater differences within a category of masks, (nasal/pillow/ffm) than there are between some items in categories. (look at the nasal pillows for instance) you'll also note, based on the flows, that all masks are fairly similar in leak rate, 18-22/42-54... not exact, but ... ballpark.

so, since you have two sets of nasal pillows with greatly differing leak rates, that, in my opinion, discredits the theory that the mask setting is just for leak rate.

add in the fact that prs1 has the 'system 1 resistance' which, if you look at it's chart, is *similar* to the mask settings that resmed has... and you start to get another theory.

the mask setting is used as part of the calculation in the machine to achieve the right pressure at the mask face. along with "is there a humidifier attached" (which is a known amount of resistance, and automatically detected, "what size, (and in later models) length of hose is used, (my vpap has slimline, regular and 3meter settings) whether there's an extra anti bacterial filter... and finally, what type of mask, is it something with a big opening (ffm) smaller (nasal), even smaller (pillow) I'm not sure where the ultra fits into the list).

each of those aspects affects the resistance to flow, and resistance to flow reduces, in a small way, the pressure at the far end of the tube.

the older s8 autoSV machines had a separate hose running from the mask back to the flow generator so that it could directly measure pressure and get the right pressure at the mask.

with newer more powerful cpus and more math, they can factor all that into the flow generator and compensate for pressure drops at the head end.

now, mind you, this is my *theory* because, of course, resmed ain't sayin

and, as I did mention, I noticed that smartstart wouldn't turn off the machine when a p10 was on the end of the hose and I'd forgotten to change the setting from FFM to pillows.

add in a nice explanation elsewhere around here that aytikvjo posted about the math involved in leak calculation, and what jedimark told me he does to get that second line of excess leak calculation in the prs1, and I think that mask setting has nothing at all to do with it... hopefully I can get jedimark to weigh in when he wakes up again...

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:41 pm

looking through the airsense 10 provider manual, a few things looked interesting.
  • "for her" version has slower pressure increase/decrease to reduce arousals
  • "for her" mode adjusts the minimum pressure upwards, and leaves it there, if two apneas occur with a minute.
  • "for her" detects RERAs (the girls get all the best new toys!)
  • p29, the chart seems to imply that the cell modem is only for compliance data, not detail data
  • it says that detailed and high res flow data storage is is "limited by usage and sd card storage capacity" no more 7 day limit for high res data?
  • software upgradeable
  • p30 they're dividing us up into regular and highly engaged patients... at least there's some nod that not everybody wants to be treated like a houseplant.

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:02 pm

Tino2You wrote:So maybe it is just me but this concerns me. Is the data encrypted that is sent wirelessly? It also seems to go only to your care provider. Seems that we are going to be locked out!

<snip from AirSense 10 User guide>
Therapy data
Your AirSense 10 device records your therapy data for you and your care provider so they can view
and make changes to your therapy if required. The data is recorded and then transferred to your care
provider wirelessly or via an SD card.
Wireless
Your AirSense 10 device is equipped with cellular communication. This allows your therapy data to
be wirelessly transmitted to your care provider to enhance the quality of your treatment
. The
Wireless signal strength icon displayed at the top right of your screen indicates the signal
strength.
<end snip>

-tino
The A10 series still has an SD card. All the data collected is recorded there. There is more data on the SD card than what's sent by cell modem. They probably haven't encrypted it on the SD card, but we haven't proved that yet.

I haven't seen info yet on whether the cell phone modem data is encrypted. I just hope they don't depend on the encryption that is inherent in the cell phone data system itself. Cell phone data is encrypted, but it's not very secure.

The modem can be deactivated by the patient by setting the machine into "airplane mode."

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:18 pm

palerider wrote:p29, the chart seems to imply that the cell modem is only for compliance data, not detail data
I think there's a terminology problem here. They say "The AirSense 10 device stores patient compliance data such as AHI, Total Hours Used and Leak." "Compliance" is hours used, but sounds like they're including AHI and leak in the definition on that page.
palerider wrote:looking through the airsense 10 provider manual, a few things looked interesting.
  • "for her" version has slower pressure increase/decrease to reduce arousals
  • "for her" mode adjusts the minimum pressure upwards, and leaves it there, if two apneas occur with a minute.
  • "for her" detects RERAs (the girls get all the best new toys!)
  • p29, the chart seems to imply that the cell modem is only for compliance data, not detail data
  • it says that detailed and high res flow data storage is is "limited by usage and sd card storage capacity" no more 7 day limit for high res data?
  • software upgradeable
  • p30 they're dividing us up into regular and highly engaged patients... at least there's some nod that not everybody wants to be treated like a houseplant.
To be clear, the "for her" does AutoSet "for him" mode as well as "for her" mode.

I sure hope they've dropped the 7 day nonsense.

"Highly engaged" means "not quite as fat dumb and happy as we like, but we can probably still give them just a snipped of info, and keep the good stuff within the secret society of doctors."

Another important bad trend I see continuing here is the emphasis on using extremely limited wireless data, while ignoring everything except daily averages. Given the marketing info I see, a lot of doctors probably won't even realize they have graphs of airflow and other data available as they vary through the night. They'll be using the "cloud based" tools, and not realize that's the kindergarten version of the data.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:45 pm

yeah... I don't have any opinions on it, just reporting things I thought were interesting that I hadn't seen pointed out here yet.

and... software upgradable !!

jedimark

Post by jedimark » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:35 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:At least one of the first to get one will need to send data to Mark. (if he wants it)
Heck yes I want to see some data!!!

Can't wait for one of you guys or gals to get your hands on one

Additional Comments: CMS50D+/F Oximeter, S9 VPAP Auto/Adapt, PRS1 Auto, Intellipap Auto, SleepyHead :)
Author of the free, cross platform, open-source sleep tracking software SleepyHead.
Download http://sleepyhead.jedimark.net
Source Code http://gitlab.com/sleepyhead/sleepyhead-code

Hose_Head

Post by Hose_Head » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:47 pm

DeadlySleep wrote:
If the auto industry is any guide to this over the past decade, MOST changes likely will relate to reduction in cost of materials/manufacturing, and maybe related to improvements to reliability
Been some time since you bought a new car?

2014 models are better than 2004 in almost every aspect. Significantly better.
Two new cars in the last three years! Agreed that 2014 models are better than those built in 2004. But that doesn't undermine my thesis that MOST improvements to those vehicles related to the cost of production.
I'm workin' on it.

Physician

Post by Physician » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:49 pm

I found a pdf of a comparison of the S9 to the AirSense 10. I have the document, but not a URL.

Justin Case

Post by Justin Case » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:56 pm

Physician wrote:I found a pdf of a comparison of the S9 to the AirSense 10. I have the document, but not a URL.
Please kindly post it. There are many filesharing sites where one can download it. You can even use Google docs as well, or a Dropbox account.
JC