Resmed Airsense 10 announced today. US availability 8/18/14

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Bookbear

Re: Resmed Airsense 10 announced today. US availability 8/18/14

Post by Bookbear » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:42 pm

Ooooh.... I R a 'stakeholder in the care continuum'? Who knew?

balor123

Post by balor123 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:43 pm

Often times new products contain improvements that aren't documented. What you can say to investors and what you can say to engineers are totally different. And for that matter, engineers wouldn't bother to document many of the changes, as the list would be too long and the process too cumbersome. Not always the case but to a rough approximation, you need to give them the benefit of the doubt that newer is better. I'd wait until a few revisions are made for the bugs to be fixed that occur in practice and then move as soon as your insurance permits. That and it looks pretty

There is one feature worth noting btw. The machine turns off when you take off the mask. The S9 only does that for nasal masks and only to start but not stop. The result? You need to push the stupid power button every time you need to get up. Quite a nuisance.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:44 pm

balor123 wrote: There is one feature worth noting btw. The machine turns off when you take off the mask. The S9 only does that for nasal masks and only to start but not stop. The result? You need to push the stupid power button every time you need to get up. Quite a nuisance.
um, no.

every s9 I've had (elite, two vpap auto's and a vpap adapt I got for a friend) have *all* worked quite well,

I do sometimes have to cover the anti-asphyxiation openings on my full face mirage quattro and take a deep breath... but it *always* works.

the only time I've ever seen it not stop was when I put a nasal pillow mask on the machine and didn't change the mask settings. it just kept blowing. changed the mask settings in the machine and it cut off perfectly.

maybe something's wrong with yours.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:18 am

There is some variation in how well the SmartStart function works in the S9. It seems to work better in later versions of the device. The older versions would turn off the SmartStart function if you set the mask type setting to FFM in the menu. Later versions removed this restriction. Even in later units, or if you left it set as "nasal" mask, staring with a FFM was unreliable. It worked for some people, not at all for others unless you covered the anti-asphyxia port. On mine, it may or may not start with a FFM unless I huff and puff.

Mine always stops if I take off the FFM.

The manual for the A10 says SmartStart may not stop for nasal pillow masks if the pressure is less than 7. It also warns that it may not start if you don't take a deep breath.

It's not clear to me that the A10 does this better than current new S9 models.

I do see they repeated their bad design of having auto start and stop be linked together in one menu. This is a bad idea. Many of us would like to be able to disable auto stop, but allow auto start.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

msla

Post by msla » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:48 am

I'm 4 years into S9 Autoset, 3 on the current blower, and thinking that getting a spare open box S9 will allow me to use some of my replacement parts on hand and not have to amass a new set. Still using my 1st washable water tank and either the climate line or slimline that I got when I started the S9.

ResMed S9 Auto set/Heated humidifier/AirFit N30i
diagnosed and began CPAP treatment 2003.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:37 am

archangle wrote:

I do see they repeated their bad design of having auto start and stop be linked together in one menu. This is a bad idea. Many of us would like to be able to disable auto stop, but allow auto start.

+1

Also, I run a very high minimum pressure and I don't like ramp. I want to get to that min pressure right away and check for mask leads and then I fall asleep quickly. But the S9 jumps from "off" to my high min pressure very quickly. I would like to see a default "mini-ramp" of say three seconds or so.

Years ago I had an FP machine and if you did not use ramp, it slowly (maybe 3 seconds) took the pressure up to my high pressure setting.

ChicagoGramps

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:29 am

[quote="ChicagoGranny"
Also, I run a very high minimum pressure and I don't like ramp. I want to get to that min pressure right away and check for mask leads and then I fall asleep quickly. But the S9 jumps from "off" to my high min pressure very quickly. I would like to see a default "mini-ramp" of say three seconds or so.

Years ago I had an FP machine and if you did not use ramp, it slowly (maybe 3 seconds) took the pressure up to my high pressure setting.

ChicagoGramps[/quote]

if you want to see very quickly, use a PR machine, they don't have the soft start of the resmed, they go from 0 to minimum pressure immediately.

that soft start of the s9 is one of the little things I like about it. you can see it at the beginning of s9 sleepyhead pressure traces.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:34 am

Geez, but I hate how marketing people write! Lose the jargon and inappropriate adjectives, puffery and hyperbole!

"A new beginning" "platform" "patient engagement" "stakeholders" "care-continuum" "data-driven components" "ecosystem (OMG!)" "groundbreaking technology"

From the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by the late, great Douglas Adams:

MARKETING GIRL:
When you have been in marketing as long as I have, you’ll know that before any new product can be developed, it has to be properly researched. I mean yes, yes we’ve got to find out what people want from fire, I mean how do they relate to it, the image -

FORD:
Oh, stick it up your nose.

MARKETING GIRL:
Yes which is precisely the sort of thing we need to know, I mean do people want fire that can be fitted nasally.

CHAIRMAN:
Yes, and, and, and the wheel. What about this wheel thingy? Sounds a terribly interesting project to me.

MARKETING GIRL:
Er, yeah, well we’re having a little, er, difficulty here…

FORD:
Difficulty?! It’s the single simplest machine in the entire universe!

MARKETING GIRL:
Well alright mister wise guy, if you’re so clever you tell us what colour it should be!

It'll be interesting to see how this new machine pans out. I expect there have been refinements in the algorithm that won't be clear until a number of people have tried the new machine.

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:11 am

Here's an interesting article that touches on some of the dynamics affecting ResMed:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/resmeds- ... zzbc1.html

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:30 pm

Great Read.... if I read it correctly, Resmed sales are down due to weakening of orders from DME's,etc.... but the demand from us end users remains steady.
Slartybartfast wrote:Here's an interesting article that touches on some of the dynamics affecting ResMed:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/resmeds- ... zzbc1.html

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:33 pm

I'm on a fairly high bi-pap setting... Even after 2 years, I'm still using a 15 minute ramp.

it's just the right setting for me to get settled into bed and fall sleep.

palerider wrote:[quote="ChicagoGranny"

ChicagoGramps
if you want to see very quickly, use a PR machine, they don't have the soft start of the resmed, they go from 0 to minimum pressure immediately.

that soft start of the s9 is one of the little things I like about it. you can see it at the beginning of s9 sleepyhead pressure traces.[/quote]

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

Hose_Head

Post by Hose_Head » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:44 pm

balor123 wrote:Often times new products contain improvements that aren't documented. What you can say to investors and what you can say to engineers are totally different. And for that matter, engineers wouldn't bother to document many of the changes, as the list would be too long and the process too cumbersome. Not always the case but to a rough approximation, you need to give them the benefit of the doubt that newer is better. I'd wait until a few revisions are made for the bugs to be fixed that occur in practice and then move as soon as your insurance permits. That and it looks pretty
Slartybartfast wrote: It'll be interesting to see how this new machine pans out. I expect there have been refinements in the algorithm that won't be clear until a number of people have tried the new machine.
If the auto industry is any guide to this over the past decade, MOST changes likely will relate to reduction in cost of materials/manufacturing, and maybe related to improvements to reliability (but only if the cost of the improvement actually saves money by reducing cost of warranty service). Marketing will drive the number and type of actual improvements added to the product.

Color me skeptical as to the actual improvements to this machine because none appear to have been listed by the Resmed marketing department.
I'm workin' on it.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:05 pm

Hose_Head wrote: If the auto industry is any guide to this over the past decade, MOST changes likely will relate to reduction in cost of materials/manufacturing, and maybe related to improvements to reliability (but only if the cost of the improvement actually saves money by reducing cost of warranty service). Marketing will drive the number and type of actual improvements added to the product.

Color me skeptical as to the actual improvements to this machine because none appear to have been listed by the Resmed marketing department.
if you poke around on the internet, you can find one of those electronics sites where they tore apart a prs1 and in another post, a resmed s9, and concluded that there's about 150ish$ worth of components in the s9, I forget what the prs1 had.

jilliansue

Post by jilliansue » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:19 pm

I, too, will be looking at reviews eagerly. I have an S8 VPAP ST. I have had it for 4 years and have been thinking recently that I might need to replace it soon. I had been hoping to have the opportunity to "skip" the S9 and go right to an S10.

DeadlySleep

Post by DeadlySleep » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:37 pm

If the auto industry is any guide to this over the past decade, MOST changes likely will relate to reduction in cost of materials/manufacturing, and maybe related to improvements to reliability
Been some time since you bought a new car?

2014 models are better than 2004 in almost every aspect. Significantly better.