How much does drinking alcohol affect apnea?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Re: How much does drinking alcohol affect apnea?

Post by Pugsy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:19 pm

sc0ttt wrote:I see you have an autoset. Did your pressures go up?
I don't know how much of a difference SleeperAgent might be seeing with his pressures because he is using an extremely tight auto range due to aerophagia issues. Like 6 min and 7 max if I remember right.
We need someone like me who could/would use a wide open range to get plastered and then see if it makes any difference.
I am not a good candidate for this sort of experiment though because my pressure needs change dramatically in REM stage sleep so I wouldn't know if it was the alcohol or REM sleep that was causing the pressure changes.
Plus I just can't/don't drink alcohol at all anymore because if I did I would be up peeing all night instead of sleeping. If I drink one beer I pee 4....

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:00 pm

JDS74 wrote:Perhaps reading this article might be informative.

http://jnnp.bmj.com/content/45/4/353.full.pdf
BTW, that article is by THE Dr. Sullivan, inventor of CPAP.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:03 pm

Pugsy wrote: Plus I just can't/don't drink alcohol at all anymore because if I did I would be up peeing all night instead of sleeping. If I drink one beer I pee 4....
we need someone with an apap to volunteer to get drunk for science!!!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

sc0ttt

Post by sc0ttt » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:14 pm

archangle wrote:
JDS74 wrote:Perhaps reading this article might be informative.

http://jnnp.bmj.com/content/45/4/353.full.pdf
BTW, that article is by THE Dr. Sullivan, inventor of CPAP.
It was a well-done study and a nice write-up. The study only looked at people NOT on CPAP though; so the conclusion is that alcohol makes untreated apnea worse (more frequent and longer duration events).

SleeperAgent's question was whether his TREATED apnea would be worse, and that is undetermined; with anecdotal data going both ways.

countdown

Post by countdown » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:11 pm

I've not got an auto, just the S Bipap, buuuuut if someone had an extra one laying around that I could borrow for a couple of weeks, I absolutely promise to take one (or, like five, if we're talking glasses of wine over an entire evening) for the team!

Nozzelnut

Post by Nozzelnut » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:39 am

palerider wrote:
Pugsy wrote: Plus I just can't/don't drink alcohol at all anymore because if I did I would be up peeing all night instead of sleeping. If I drink one beer I pee 4....
Already been done.

I use a Resmed S9 Autoset. 3-4cm increase in pressure; average about 12-13cm max without etoh and 15-16 cm max with, sometimes to my upper limit of 17 for a brief period of time. Most of my events get treated with pressure increases, but I'll double+ the number of event when I drink. Average of .6AHI without; 1.5+ AHI with. Opiates throw my numbers off the chart FWIW(shoulder surgery back in Feb and tonsils removed in May.) Centrals go up a bunch; from 1-2 to 50+ for the night

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:06 am

Nozzelnut wrote:
palerider wrote:
Already been done.

I use a Resmed S9 Autoset. 3-4cm increase in pressure; average about 12-13cm max without etoh and 15-16 cm max with, sometimes to my upper limit of 17 for a brief period of time. Most of my events get treated with pressure increases, but I'll double+ the number of event when I drink. Average of .6AHI without; 1.5+ AHI with. Opiates throw my numbers off the chart FWIW(shoulder surgery back in Feb and tonsils removed in May.) Centrals go up a bunch; from 1-2 to 50+ for the night
YAY! SCIENCE!

those are expected results, from what I understand thanks for the data points.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

coolbranch

Post by coolbranch » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:42 am

I have never CPAPed totally sober. My average AHI is under 2. My internal medicine Dr. recommended one glass of red wine per day to help with my HDL cholesterol numbers. I might push that to a couple or three glasses on the weekend. Hey, if one thing doesn't do you in then another will.

I LOVE OSCAR

todd2968

Post by todd2968 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:08 am

When I first started using my machine I could never last the entire night with it on unless I've had a few OR MORE.
I know it is supposed to relax the muscles needed for breathing and probably not good for sleep apnea but, now I have the machine!!

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:47 am

Normally I don't have any alcohol for at least 3-4hrs before my usual bedtime, that seems to help me fall asleep. I have noticed that if I drink too much at patio parties here at the house, usually with our two adult sons or a few friends, that I typically don't sleep as well. BTW, occasionally I sleep pretty decently with too much alcohol in my system... go figure That's the thing about CPAP, always a few surprises to keep you on your toes. I don't drink much at all when going out to dinner or parties around town, however that's largely due to all the DUI laws and checkpoints here in California.

Oh yeah, one final note: Early on with CPAP I would sometimes have one shot of brandy or whatever if I woke up in the middle of the night, mostly in hopes it would relax enough to grab a few extra hours of sleep. That was always futile and sometimes it even evolved into a nasty headache. Not a good idea IMO.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Day_Dreamer

Post by Day_Dreamer » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:47 pm

Alcohol is also linked to fragmented sleep