Doxepin for sleep maintanence insomnia

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Ruinednose

Re: Doxepin for sleep maintanence insomnia

Post by Ruinednose » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:44 am

took 3mg last night took a while to fall asleep i slept a little better with less interuption tonight will try 6mg

robysue

Post by robysue » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:12 am

Ruinednose wrote:took 3mg last night took a while to fall asleep i slept a little better with less interuption tonight will try 6mg
I would NOT recommend increasing the dosage after only one night. Or rather, I would NOT increase the dosage without explicit instructions from the doctor who prescribed the doxepin. More medication does not always mean the medication will be more effective.

Ruined nose (lost password)

Post by Ruined nose (lost password) » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:03 pm

The doctor prescribed me 6mg a night. I decided to try to find the best dose for me by taking 3mg first to see how I would sleep. I did sleep a little better. Less interruptions and I do feel much rested. I do think I mouth breathe a little with the mask (easy life) I have a chin strap yet so uncomfortable I find myself ripping it off in the middle of the night (will try it again tonigjt) I decided to stay on 3mg again on the Silenor (doxepin) and see if tonight I get better rest.

Ruinednose

Post by Ruinednose » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:41 pm

silenor 3mg gave my life back i sleep extremely well with 1 small awakkeing i havent slept this good in a year. WOW

49er

Post by 49er » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:51 am

Ruinednose wrote:silenor 3mg gave my life back i sleep extremely well with 1 small awakkeing i havent slept this good in a year. WOW
Ruinednose,

I am so happy for you. Much continued success with the med.

49er

Ruinednose

Post by Ruinednose » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:29 am

49er wrote:
Ruinednose wrote:silenor 3mg gave my life back i sleep extremely well with 1 small awakkeing i havent slept this good in a year. WOW
Ruinednose,

I am so happy for you. Much continued success with the med.

49er

thank you so muhc, i am so estatic

robysue

Post by robysue » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:45 pm

Ruinednose,

I'm really happy for you that the silenor seems to be solving the sleep maintenance problem! Let's hope that it provides you with some long term relief!

Cokomo

Post by Cokomo » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:05 am

New sleep dr. suggested adding doxepin to the 2mg of lorazepam taken nightly in an effort to sleep longer than 4 hours. Zolpidem er 12.5mg does not work. Has anyone here used the doxepin/lorazepam combo with any success? I'm a little concerned about the reports of weight gain with doxepin. Thanks.

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:19 am

Cokomo wrote:New sleep dr. suggested adding doxepin to the 2mg of lorazepam taken nightly in an effort to sleep longer than 4 hours. Zolpidem er 12.5mg does not work. Has anyone here used the doxepin/lorazepam combo with any success? I'm a little concerned about the reports of weight gain with doxepin. Thanks.
Cokomo,

I think I gained about 5 to 10 pounds when I was on 10mg of Doxepin several years ago. But I am concerned that you are are playing med roulette in an attempt to find the perfect med combination. Has she/he provided any other thoughts as to why you might not be sleeping on the mask besides just offering you meds?

49er

Luthie2006

Post by Luthie2006 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:00 pm

What is doxepin please? I have terrible sleep maintenance but really don't want to take prescriptions? Is there anything else in the way of over the counter meds?

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:39 pm

Luthie2006 wrote:What is doxepin please? I have terrible sleep maintenance but really don't want to take prescriptions? Is there anything else in the way of over the counter meds?
You could probably try valerian root supplements. Available OTC at any drug store, usually in powered root form or extracted essence blended with an olive oil base (encapsulated, that is). Some people drink it at bedtime as a tea brewed from valerian root but it tastes pretty nasty IMO. It doesn't cause many side-effects during long term usage. I'd steer clear of Sominex or Tylenol PM and those sorts of supposed sleep aids... over time they can produce negative results and compound sleep problems, at least for many people.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:50 pm

Luthie2006 wrote:What is doxepin please? I have terrible sleep maintenance but really don't want to take prescriptions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doxepin

If you want to avoid RX meds then you want to avoid Doxepin.

I have been known to resort to Bendadryl which is OTC to help me sleep. That's what's in most of the OTC "sleep aids" that are marketed directly for sleep aid....like Tylenol PM...the PM part is diphendydramine which is chemical name for Benadryl.
Since I don't want extra tylenol I just take plain Benadryl.
Some people shouldn't take Benadryl though....so I usually suggest that a person discuss it with their doctor or pharmacist.
I personally haven't had any issues with it suppressing respiration (causing centrals) or causing the airway tissues to collapse more and cause OAs.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Paralel

Post by Paralel » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:01 pm

The main problem people experience with Benadryl is a 'hangover' the next morning. People that don't get it are fortunate. Benadryl is contraindicated for any condition where one shouldn't be taking an anticholinergic (since Benadryl, while being a strong antihistaminic, is also a very powerful anticholinergic).

If you don't get the Benadryl hangover and have no contraindications, by all means, go for Benadryl, there are few medications that have more long term safety data. However, be aware, just like any medication you take long term, if you suddenly stop using it, you will have rebound, in this case manifesting as persistent insomnia, probably in the neighborhood of a few days to a week, while your body re-adjusts to the Benadryl no longer being present.