forced to use CPAP machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
nole

forced to use CPAP machine

Post by nole » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:37 pm

Do i have to use CPAP here in Canada? Any lawyer to help me and protect from being tortured by a company to use it? If anybody answers will explain everything later
Thanks.

Goofproof

Re: forced to use CPAP machine

Post by Goofproof » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:42 pm

All you have to do is pay taxes, should you decide to be productive and support yourself. You have free will. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

library lady

Post by library lady » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:43 pm

You will likely get some answers if you give more details. I for one would like to know why you think you are being "forced" to use a machine.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

sc0ttt

Post by sc0ttt » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:45 pm

nole wrote:Do i have to use CPAP here in Canada?
No, you may use your CPAP anywhere on earth.

Pesser

Post by Pesser » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:52 pm

I suppose you have a job that requires it?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:27 pm

Pesser wrote:I suppose you have a job that requires it?
Maybe he's a cpap machine tester. Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:34 pm

If you're talking as a long distance trucker, every company would have its own protocol, but if you're e.g. planning on driving municipal equipment like subways, biiig snow tractors, etc., it's possible there's some policy in place, but you'd have to find out that for yourself with the individuals involved.

Personally, anyone who tried to 'force' me to quit Cpap would have a very hard time of it!

There's a reason we do it you know... and if you have kids, you'll be doing them no favors by trying to not do it.

SleepyToo2

Post by SleepyToo2 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:41 pm

No one forces you to use PAP machines unless you have been diagnosed with sleep apnea. Be aware that if you do have sleep apnea and choose not to use it you are risking not only your life, but also the lives of your family and the lives/livelihood of those you take with you when you fall asleep behind the wheel. If it is just you, and you don't drive/ride a bicycle, you are still at risk for an early death due to stroke, other cardiovascular disease (including heart attack), and possibly one of many forms of cancer. Problems that are not immediately fatal include migraine, waking up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom (one or more times), obesity, sleep disturbances of other kinds, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc. Have I scared you enough already? I hope I have given you food for thought. There are plenty of studies that show the adverse effects of sleep apnea and/or hypoxia (the two often go together), and if you spend enough time reading on this site you will find plenty of stories. Now, give us your story and the excuses why you think you are too healthy to have sleep apnea and suffer any of the consequences described here.

nole

Post by nole » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:16 pm

library lady wrote:You will likely get some answers if you give more details. I for one would like to know why you think you are being "forced" to use a machine.
I am a truck driver. When i signed a contract with a company i work for they measured neck (done by a desk clerk) told me to sign a paper to participate in the Sleep study due to having a thick neck and therefore being in a risky group. I signed because i needed a job. They sent me to spend a night in a sleeping clinic. I did. Then the problems started. 40 sondas on my body and head, all kind of masks changed during the night, being woke up several time to fix the sond that fell off my leg, changing all types of masks during the night. Of course i did not sleep and the result was that i had a severe sleep apnea with AHI 34. They gave the CPAP machine. First meeting with a lady doctor was with the words like this: Oh all you need to use it for about 3-4 months and you are cured. After first six months of using it every day was the same result below 1. She was delighted and gave me the green light. I asked her to send it to my company so that do not have to use it again. Never happened. After that another six months using the results were the same only she increased the pressure. The the story was like this: oh you can stop using this machine only if you loose 6- to 70 pounds of your body weight. After another six months i recorded our conversation and told her all that. She denied all had been said of course. I asked for all my results and a video. They gave it me. I begged everyone and her to stop this madness because i can not sleep with this sh.t. After another six months she was determent that i am stuck with her, she is stuck with a company i work for and it goes on. All that time my results are the same AHI index is always below 1. Now is more clear why i ask for advise, help or the name of any lawyer who can help me with this. Please answer.

JustTia

Post by JustTia » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:22 pm

nole wrote: All that time my results are the same AHI index is always below 1.
I'm not sure that I understand everything you are saying. I did notice this part though, and wanted to ask you if that is what your AHI is while actually using the cpap? Or is that without using anything at all?

Board culture. Learn it. Embrace it.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:34 pm

You are in Canada and are going to have to deal with whatever rules and regulations your powers that be (here in the US they are the DOT) have implemented that truck drivers with sleep apnea have to follow if they want to keep their truck driving license..
They make the rules and you have to follow them if you want to drive for a living.
Here in the US the rules are getting more and more stringent and after Jan1 next year....really stringent.

So instead trying to find a lawyer to sue your way out of the rules which is going to be a waste of time and money you probably should work on the problems you are having sleeping with the mask and machine.

If you are already well versed in the medical requirement for a person with sleep apnea and what you are expected to do then you need to get those rules and regs and read up on what you are expected to do.

If you want help from forum members here....this is what we do...help people sort through issues to make this therapy work. We don't help people quit.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:43 pm

Sorry, no lawyer can help you. You do have choices.

1. Quit your job & quit CPAP. Along with this go the consequences of untreated Obstructive Sleep Apnea which include heart disease, diabetes, stroke, to name a few.

2. Chose to embrace your CPAP therapy & let this forum help you find ways to learn to live with this life saving therapy.

The choice is yours, but this Dr. did you a disservice by letting you think CPAP therapy is something you can just lose weight & get rid of. There are rare cases in which weight loss has an impact on OSA but typically this is not the case.

One way of looking at this is that your job may have saved your life. Finding & treating your OSA may have helped you avoid a heart attack, stroke, diabetes or many other major health consequences of untreated OSA.

This forum can help you if you want help dealing with CPAP therapy. Just register, add your equipment to your profile then ask any questions. We are here to help each other on this forum & if you want help, you'll get it here. The choice is yours.

Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:47 pm

jencat824 wrote:Sorry, no lawyer can help you. You do have choices.

1. Quit your job & quit CPAP. Along with this go the consequences of untreated Obstructive Sleep Apnea which include heart disease, diabetes, stroke, to name a few.

2. Chose to embrace your CPAP therapy & let this forum help you find ways to learn to live with this life saving therapy.

The choice is yours, but this Dr. did you a disservice by letting you think CPAP therapy is something you can just lose weight & get rid of. There are rare cases in which weight loss has an impact on OSA but typically this is not the case.

One way of looking at this is that your job may have saved your life. Finding & treating your OSA may have helped you avoid a heart attack, stroke, diabetes or many other major health consequences of untreated OSA.

This forum can help you if you want help dealing with CPAP therapy. Just register, add your equipment to your profile then ask any questions. We are here to help each other on this forum & if you want help, you'll get it here. The choice is yours.

Jen
And/Or after 6 months of treatment goes away, unless you go out any get a new airway transplant it's for life. Jim

Farthermore your post doesn't compute. If you had a Treated AHI for 6 months of around 1, you had the answer, quiting is a fools game.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:00 pm

I'm so sorry you feel the way you do. You are feeling tortured for no good reason,
and it is difficult to see what a positive effect cpap can have on your life.
Untreated apnea takes much away--often without us even realizing it.
Your brain and heart need the oxygen, and a good night's rest.

robysue

Post by robysue » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:27 pm

nole wrote: After first six months of using it every day was the same result below 1. She was delighted and gave me the green light.
All that time my results are the same AHI index is always below 1. Now is more clear why i ask for advise, help or the name of any lawyer who can help me with this. Please answer.
Your AHI is below 1 because your CPAP machine is doing its job: It is preventing most of your apneas and hypopneas from happening when you are indeed asleep with the machine. When you sleep without the machine, your AHI goes right back up to the 30+ range that it was in on your diagnostic sleep test. In other words, when you choose to sleep without the machine, you are having serious breathing problems on an average of once every two minutes or so. And each time your breathing stops (apnea) or gets excessively shallow (hypopnea), the problem lasts for at least 10 seconds.
I asked her to send it to my company so that do not have to use it again. Never happened. After that another six months using the results were the same only she increased the pressure. The the story was like this: oh you can stop using this machine only if you loose 6- to 70 pounds of your body weight.
Obstructive sleep apnea is a chronic condition and CPAP manages it but does not "cure" it. And while some obese people with mild OSA are able to control OSA through losing the excess weight, many people with severe OSA have a problem regardless of their weight---the problem is the structure of the airway and while the weight aggravates the problem, the problem with the airway is still there even when the weight is lost.
After another six months i recorded our conversation and told her all that. She denied all had been said of course. I asked for all my results and a video. They gave it me. I begged everyone and her to stop this madness because i can not sleep with this sh.t. After another six months she was determent that i am stuck with her, she is stuck with a company i work for and it goes on.
Your choice is to either accept the fact that you do indeed have severe OSA and start working on the problems you have with CPAP and learning how to make this crazy therapy work OR you can quit your job and move on and live with the untreated OSA.

If you choose to try to make CPAP work, we can help you. No matter how awful you think PAP is and no matter how many reasons you have to dislike it, there are people on this board who have faced those problems and found a way to work out solutions to them. Learning how to sleep with a CPAP is NOT easy for some of us, but if you decide to work on fixing your particular issues, we can give you plenty of support and help.