forced to use CPAP machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Day_Dreamer

Re: forced to use CPAP machine

Post by Day_Dreamer » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:54 pm

library lady wrote:
I would not have been able to continue cpap if I hadn't found this forum 5 months ago. in addition to getting answers to my specific questions, I learned much just by reading threads that spoke about the problems I was having.

Same here! When you see people with the same affliction as you who have successfully incorporated CPAP into their lives, you gain strength. Strength in the knowledge if they can do it, so can I. If they have overcome specific obstacles in therapy, so can I.

Thanks everyone!

49er

Post by 49er » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:59 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:It does not make sense that you would still be tired after 2 years of successful therapy.
In your place, I would be seeing doctors until the real cause in uncovered.
Chemical imbalance, or a number of other health situations can be responsible for your symptoms.
Please see a doctor, and get this straightened out. Some of those other conditions could be worse than OSA.
Sometimes even doctors fail to look further, to the detriment of the patient.
Actually CF, there is a significant minority of people who despite having excellent excellent compliance and a good AHI continue to feel tired while on the cpap machine. Not surprising at all even though unfortunately, there isn't an answer for these folks.

Do agree with your advice for the OP to see a doctor to investigate what is going on.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:07 pm

I sent a PM, in case he is no longer following the thread.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:13 pm

Nole,

I think you win the prize for the WHINIEST post I've ever seen on this site. Keep in mind that everyone here responding to you uses their CPAP every night, all night, voluntarily. So we all know what you are going through, and we also know it can be fixed.

Unless they strap you down every night and put the mask on you with force, you are not being forced to use CPAP. You always have a choice--use the CPAP and keep your job as a trucker and keep your driver's license, OR don't use the CPAP and get a job that doesn't involve the public safety (and quit driving, because you are a menace).

If you are having trouble using your CPAP, we can help. You don't have to suffer every night--we can give you suggestions that can help you so that it won't be such a terrible ordeal. But you have to decide if you want to continue your pity party or if you really want help. If it's truly help you're seeking, let us know the make and model of your machine, your pressure settings, and what mask you are using. And tell us the three biggest problems you are having as a starting place for us to help you.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

70sSanO

Post by 70sSanO » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:57 pm

As you can see, this forum is very pro CPAP, so you are not gong to get a lot of support to legally get you out of the therapy. But, if you decide to try and work on why you are still tired and maybe a few options, there are tons of people who can offer advice, whether it is OSA or some other sleep issue.

As for weight, there is a chance you will eliminate the need for CPAP, but don't lose it for that reason. I have been on CPAP for over 13 years and I lost almost 70lbs in the past year. My AHI skyrocketed. Even after a new sleep study and talking to a supposedly expert in sleep disorders, I got information form this site that helped me the most.

I can tell you that CPAP/APAP will not make you less tired if you are just not getting enough sleep. If I get only 5 or so hours for a few nights, there's nothing that any machine can do that will make me feel like I have had 7+ hours of sleep. If you do not sleep enough, you may just need more sleep. With what you do, it may be tough to get the necessary hours you need, but without CPAP what you do get will be exponentially worse.

I am very thankful that I am on CPAP. I am healthier and more active now than I have in years.

John
AHI: 2.5
Central: 1.7
Obstructive: 0.3
Hypopnea: 0.5
Pressure: 6.0-8.0cm on back with cervical collar.
Compliance: 15 Years

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:22 pm

Nole just sent me a PM.
It is clear that he is in complete, intractable denial.
He insists he is not "seek" (sic)

--egad; a triple pun!

bv1800

Post by bv1800 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:23 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Nole just sent me a PM.

--egad; a triple pun!
Sounds like he isn't going to be a truck driver either.

Tatooed Lady

Post by Tatooed Lady » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:27 pm

Denial...a river in Egypt, right?

So sorry...I can deny that I'm fat, broke and have a negative attitude...I can't deny, however, that APAP has made a difference in my life. Starting with I get to KEEP MY JOB because I'm a "poster child for compliance." In the medical world that doesn't mean, of course, that therapy works...just that I use the machine for enough hours to keep them happy. In my case, though...it works. But don't snitch on me, 'k? I'd hate to have to tell Safety that they were right.

As Bette Davis famously said, “Old age ain’t for sissies.”
I'm with the band.
So.Many.TOYS!

robysue

Post by robysue » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:32 pm

Tatooed Lady,

Since you are a US professional truck driver, care to comment on whether the US DOT regulations allow a truck driver with OSA to be certified if they chose to use an oral appliance rather than a PAP machine?

robysue

Post by robysue » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:35 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Nole just sent me a PM.

--egad; a triple pun!
And let me guess: He's also shocked, surprised, or offended that no-one on the forum has supported or been sympathetic to his idea of legally fighting with his employer in an attempt to continue driving professionally while NOT using his PAP machine.

bv1800

Post by bv1800 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:38 pm

robysue wrote:Tatooed Lady,

Since you are a US professional truck driver, care to comment on whether the US DOT regulations allow a truck driver with OSA to be certified if they chose to use an oral appliance rather than a PAP machine?
If I were a "bettin man", I'd wager "NO" for one simple reason: Compliance can't be tracked with an oral appliance.

70sSanO

Post by 70sSanO » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:07 pm

robysue wrote:Tatooed Lady,

I can give a little information. I have to get a certificate to drive a vanpool van to work. I have to get a physical, every one to two years depending on my health and the doctor. I have to carry a Medical Examiner's Certificate card with me. I live in California.

The doctor specifically told me that the rules have changed and that if an individual has indicators of a sleep disorder, including neck size, a sleep study would need to be done to determine if a sleep order exists.

The doctor also told me that physicals could no longer be done by a family doctor, but they had to be done by a doctor trained and certified to perform the exam. This was to prevent someone from getting a free pass from his/her family doctor.

John
AHI: 2.5
Central: 1.7
Obstructive: 0.3
Hypopnea: 0.5
Pressure: 6.0-8.0cm on back with cervical collar.
Compliance: 15 Years

robysue

Post by robysue » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:19 pm

70sSanO wrote: The doctor specifically told me that the rules have changed and that if an individual has indicators of a sleep disorder, including neck size, a sleep study would need to be done to determine if a sleep order exists.
The question that was raised (much) earlier in this thread was:

If you have a professional driver's license and a required sleep test reveals that you do indeed have moderate to severe OSA, must you use a CPAP in order to continue to qualify for your license? Or is it possible to use an oral appliance instead?

Like bv1800, I strongly suspect that the answer is: No, you can't use an oral appliance because there's no way to verify compliance. But I would like some confirmation as to whether this is actually TRUE or not from someone who has some first hand experience dealing with DOT regulations.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:48 pm

Maybe he'd be better suited working in a Serta factory as a quality control tester. In life De-Nile is our worst enemy. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:55 pm

You can fight your company and win, but your doctor simply has to go to MTO with evidence of non-compliance and you'll lose your license. In essence, you'll have your job still.. which won't do you any good without a drivers license.

-- Douglas Adams