Drying out the ResMed Climate Control Tubing or any tubing

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
KCDC

Drying out the ResMed Climate Control Tubing or any tubing

Post by KCDC » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:51 pm

Hi all

I just wanted to run something by you guys.

So, I was told that i needed to wash my hoses and nasal pillows once a week.

With that being said, I can never get the hose dry enough before the next use.

What do you think if I actually took out the humidifier chamber, leave nothing in there. Set the resmed s9 to CPAP mode instead of AutoPAP. Run the machine at the highest temperature setting using the climate control hose, set the CPAP setting the the maximum pressure of 20. no ramp up time. and just let it run for an hour or 2.

I guess my question is, is that good for the machine? has anyone done that before? i just thought that a high temperature of dry air running at full blast through the hose would just dry the thing out.

What do you think?

Also, when you guys who use nasal pillows, are you pillows filled with droplets of water in it in the morning? i don't know if that is considered rainout, but it's not flowing into my nose or anyting and i don't hear dripping.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!
Best

Kenny

englandsf

Re: Drying out the ResMed Climate Control Tubing or any tubing

Post by englandsf » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:55 pm

I wash mine once a month and rinse in hot water. Allow at least 12 hours for it to dry and fold it in half and swing in a circle to move most water out. Then put empty humidifier reservoir in and run on leak test mode for 15 mins, 2 or 3 times. That should do it.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:57 pm

Let's see...

The purpose of a humidifier is to add moisture into the air.

A hose with a few drops of water in it will also add moisture into the air.

Why bother with drying the hose?

KCDC

Post by KCDC » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:01 pm

i guess mainly because my nasal pillow is full of droplet of water. do i don't know if that's normal. would that be consider a rainout?

lc96

Post by lc96 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:02 pm

Sometimes I wash it just ahead of sleeping. Maybe turn humidifier up to highest temp, and it doesn't take more than 15 min. or so, but I also agree that a little bit of water is fine.

Airsense 11 Autoset Cpap
Resmed Airfit N20 and F30

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:05 pm

Since drying takes so long, I prefer to clean the hose in the evening, before bed.
This does not allow the wet hose to become a petri dish, and only adds a little extra moisture to my first few breaths.

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:12 pm

KCDC wrote:Also, when you guys who use nasal pillows, are you pillows filled with droplets of water in it in the morning? i don't know if that is considered rainout, but it's not flowing into my nose or anyting and i don't hear dripping.
Yes, that is considered rain out/condensation. Most often when it is only at the nasal pillow level it is from the moisture in our own exhaled breath that condenses due to the cooler bedroom temps. It isn't always about the humidity being delivered from the humidifier as I have read of people having this sort of condensation at the mask level and they don't even use the humidifier at all.
There are ways to reduce this type of rain out though but it's only needed if the moisture is too annoying and/or causes sleep disruption. If it isn't causing a problem there is no need to fix it.

Regarding drying the long hose. Unless there is so much water still in it that it's making an awful racket or causing you to get a cold shower there is no urgent need for it to be totally dry at bedtime. Think about it....you are going to turn it on and add moisturized air back into it anyway. Now some people think they just have to have a totally dry hose or they can't sleep....well...they can go to extraordinary measures to dry it out if they wish but unless the amount of moisture is causing the usual rain out symptoms....there's no urgent need.

Now the other night I played with my humidifier settings because I thought my humidifier was trying to crap out....so I maxed the humidity delivery of my S9 at 6 and only had the temp set to 70 degrees...massive amount of rain out everywhere. Thought I had it all out of the long hose but the next night the hose was snorting, gurgling, rasping and just being a real pain in the butt with the noise so I turned things off and removed the mask hose from the Climateline and about 2 tablespoons of water poured out. It wouldn't have hurt me but it sure was annoying with the noise until I got the bulk of the water out. When it shut up...I put the mask back on and went to sleep and the inside of the hose was still very WET because all I did was pour the water out and shake the hose a bit. I wasn't about to get up and try to dry the hose totally....all I needed was to have it stop the annoying noise so I could sleep. It was just going to get wet inside anyway.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:18 pm

I agree that the hose does not need to be dried after washing.....I really don't believe that the hose ever needs washing. How many of you that wash your hose let it dry in the germ filled bathroom???

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:21 pm

KCDC wrote: What do you think if I actually took out the humidifier chamber, leave nothing in there. Set the resmed s9 to CPAP mode instead of AutoPAP. Run the machine at the highest temperature setting using the climate control hose, set the CPAP setting the the maximum pressure of 20. no ramp up time. and just let it run for an hour or 2.
I'd be quite worried that I'd overheat the humidifier without the load of the water in it. that may not actually be an issue, but I'd not want to risk it.

after the first few weeks, I haven't washed a hose again, though, others like to.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ShelaghDB

Post by ShelaghDB » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:41 pm

I too was told on another forum to wash the hose every couple of days. I recall seeing posts where people actually said, "EEK, you mean you don't clean out your hose?" or along those lines, more than once. I too took that to mean they must be cleaned every second day and was doing so until I saw someone else HERE on this board say that it wasn't necessary, and why and their explanation made much more sense and only confirmed what I had thought myself.

So as you can see, there are many that also offer incorrect information. I will add that on the other forum it was regular long term users saying it was necessary to do so. I believe after learning the hard way by listening to someone else as well on another board only to find out 2 months later they had given me info that had caused me 2 months of very difficult sleep, that there are Only about 4 people who I would trust implicitly with the advice given when it comes to something particularly serious.

You have to decide yourself who you feel you can trust. I for one would never hand out advice as i am a newbie. I can only mention my experiences such as why my mask might work for me, and things like that but i would not advise someone.

Some wish to be helpful but that doesn't always mean their advice is the right advice to be giving out.

 5k 27" Retina iMac,
 MacBookPro 10.9.5 13" 2.53Ghz + 10.9.5 13" 2.4Ghz
 iPad 4 16Gig + 3G  iPhone 5 + One + One 64gig CyanogenMod Version
 Apple TV + Airport Extreme

Nick Danger

Post by Nick Danger » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:32 pm

If it isn't dry enough around an hour or two before bedtime, I just twirl it in circles over my head for a minute or so. Be careful not to hold it by the endcaps - if you tear those off, it is time for a new hose.

Chelle25

Post by Chelle25 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:43 am

KCDC wrote:Hi all

I just wanted to run something by you guys.

What do you think if I actually took out the humidifier chamber, leave nothing in there. Set the resmed s9 to CPAP mode instead of AutoPAP. Run the machine at the highest temperature setting using the climate control hose, set the CPAP setting the the maximum pressure of 20. no ramp up time. and just let it run for an hour or 2.

I guess my question is, is that good for the machine? has anyone done that before? i just thought that a high temperature of dry air running at full blast through the hose would just dry the thing out.

What do you think?

Also, when you guys who use nasal pillows, are you pillows filled with droplets of water in it in the morning? i don't know if that is considered rainout, but it's not flowing into my nose or anyting and i don't hear dripping.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!
Best

Kenny

The way you dried out the hose is the exact same way I dry mine. I wash it every Sunday. I hang it on a hanger for about 2 hours and then I use the cpap to dry it out the rest of the way. This is how my DME suggested to do it so your ok! No need to change the settings though.

Mask: Mirage Quattro (full face)
Software: Philips Respironics sleepmapper

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:37 pm

The hose will be wet all night long even if you dry it out the first thing in the morning.

If your insurance will buy a new hose after x months, then get one and you can take the old one, clean it, and let it dry for a week or so. Then swap hoses every week or so. Clean the hose you've been using and set it aside for a week or two and then swap again.

I have an old CPAP I use to air dry hoses after cleaning.

One thing that helps is to hang the hose as vertically as possible. Loop it over something and let the ends hang down. Someone reported that hanging it entirely vertical helped it dry out due to air circulation. It might help to have one end higher than the other, even if you don't have some place you can hang it high enough to be completely vertical.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:17 pm

archangle wrote:The hose will be wet all night long even if you dry it out the first thing in the morning.

If your insurance will buy a new hose after x months, then get one and you can take the old one, clean it, and let it dry for a week or so. Then swap hoses every week or so. Clean the hose you've been using and set it aside for a week or two and then swap again
alternatively, hoses are cheap.. (10$ish)

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:42 pm

palerider wrote:alternatively, hoses are cheap.. (10$ish)
Not ResMed or Respiornics heated hoses.

However, not everyone needs a heated hose. It might be worthwhile for many people who ended up with heated hoses to try unheated hoses and see if they have rainout problems.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.