Basic posting rules of this group?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sclark08

Re: Basic posting rules of this group?

Post by Sclark08 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:02 pm

You are so right ems!

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:24 pm

Guest wrote: Maybe you forgot who attacked first.

Yes I remember - I was defending someone you attacked.
What you need to understand is that you have no more authority than I do and certainly do NOT have the authority to insist that anyone (everyone) MUST register or they are banished from this site. Let's establish that right now.
Wrong, I have a spam button. Which means if I feel like it, I can wipe your posts off the board.
I don't insist you register - I insist on calling you a coward for hiding behind the anonymous name and attacking people all over the board.
obtw - I have personally saved several lives in my community.
In your dreams maybe. Nothing you say here has an kind of validity.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:37 pm

There are plenty of trolls, maskholes, and crazy cat lady types on this forum. Long arguments with them just feeds their egos. Correct their misstatements and move on.

Some of them even know some stuff and can be useful. Just don't get into a cat flinging contest with the crazy cat ladies.

Our hosts provide a much appreciated forum on here that's very helpful to some. They choose to do minimal direct moderation of the forum, which is admirable in some ways, problematic in some ways.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:43 pm

archangle wrote:There are plenty of trolls, maskholes, and crazy cat lady types on this forum. Long arguments with them just feeds their egos. Correct their misstatements and move on.

Some of them even know some stuff and can be useful. Just don't get into a cat flinging contest with the crazy cat ladies.

Our hosts provide a much appreciated forum on here that's very helpful to some. They choose to do minimal direct moderation of the forum, which is admirable in some ways, problematic in some ways.
Stop that, please! One of those cats was mine!

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:48 pm

chunkyfrog wrote: Stop that, please! One of those cats was mine!
would *love* to see a pic of you and your cat... do you perhaps ride around on it's head, surveying your kingdom?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ems

Post by ems » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:50 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:

What you need to understand is that you have no more authority than I do and certainly do NOT have the authority to insist that anyone (everyone) MUST register or they are banished from this site. Let's establish that right now.
Wrong, I have a spam button. Which means if I feel like it, I can wipe your posts off the board.
I don't insist you register - I insist on calling you a coward for hiding behind the anonymous name and attacking people all over the board.
BS... you need to take a deep breath. Yeah, I suppose you could wipe guest's posts off the board but you know as well as I do that would eventually get you banned. Why do you care if he/she posts as guest? Would it make a difference if he/she posted as "applepie" but said exactly the same things? Obviously you are annoyed at what guest is saying... the truth is that not one of us has the authority to insist that someone register here. I'm trying to understand why you and a few others insist that guest registers. This is a forum after all... not a club where everyone must join in in a particular way.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:54 pm

Thanks 49er, I think the matter is now close to done. I'm still here, I respect the advice palerider and others give and I will imagine that they write things that come across as aggressive when they may not mean to.

I'll continue to try to imagine myself actually speaking what I personally type - face-to-face as I would to someone I met on a plane - and keep my language and behavior appropriate. Then I'll hit "send". It's an old technique for online etiquette.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:04 pm

englandsf wrote:Thanks 49er, I think the matter is now close to done. I'm still here, I respect the advice palerider and others give and I will imagine that they write things that come across as aggressive when they may not mean to.

I'll continue to try to imagine myself actually speaking what I personally type - face-to-face as I would to someone I met on a plane - and keep my language and behavior appropriate. Then I'll hit "send". It's an old technique for online etiquette.
and, try and remember that people are different, what works wonders for you may not work as well for others, or may be quite bad for them (re: pugsy's reply to you on humidity levels), and try not to come across as your advice being the end all and be all that everybody should adhere to.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:14 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:

Allow me to refresh your faulty memory, perhaps it is sleep deprived?
There must be a word for someone who feels compelled to answer questions asked of another. And insult people she does not know and has never met. Well it is not just her you see the same names doing it over and over.
BlackSpinner wrote:
Guest wrote:
photonic wrote:why some flame wars with a troll were not cut off.
Your definition of troll please.
Classic definition
In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4]
englandsf wrote:Twice now I have been aggressively challenged for my opinions on this board. To the point of "cyber bullying" in at least one case.
You will find the helpful posters seldom get involved in the flame wars and it is usu the same posters with the rude, cyber bullying comments. Then there are those who will want to debate about their rude comments. I think they are sleep deprived and generally not happy people who get some gratification by their comments and others who don't realize how their behavior is perceived.
Usually people who post as "guest" and are happy to hide behind anonymity.
BlackSpinner wrote:Lastly this is an un-moderated board and people are expected to act like adults in both give and take of comments.
And treat their guests as they would want to be treated
BlackSpinner wrote:There are no guests, except the cowards who won't sign in, everybody is "member" and "adult" and equal.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:27 pm

You newbies think this is bad? You should have seen some of last year's off-topic (OT) political rants that featured personal barbs, vile insults, downright lies, conspiracy theories and borderline insanity. Hope we don't lapse back into that <sigh> BTW, I used read them occasionally, however I didn't feel any need to contribute - there are thousands of other forums that thrive on that sort of stuff. My feeling about CPAPtalk's unmoderated scene is that you can always just take the high ground and opt out and let the poo-slingers have their fun, such as it is.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:30 pm

Sir NoddinOff wrote: My feeling about CPAPtalk's unmoderated scene is that you can always just take the high ground and opt out and let the poo-slingers have their fun, such as it is.
*flings a bit of poo at Sir, just because*

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:31 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:

Apparently you did not understand what I said - you have no authority here in determining who becomes a member or who does not. And with behavior like yours who would want to join "your group"?

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:35 pm

Guest wrote: And with behavior like yours who would want to join "your group"?
then why do you, like a bad smell, keep hanging around?

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:38 pm

ems wrote: Why do you care if he/she posts as guest? Would it make a difference if he/she posted as "applepie" but said exactly the same things?
one difference is that one can't add 'guest' to the foe list, and thus has to scroll past the content instead of having the board hide it from view like the refuse that it often is.

ems

Post by ems » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:40 pm

We are all beginning to sound like my granddaughters junior high school friends. Every few weeks another thread of this nature pops up... we all need to get lives... or take a nap... or something.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~