Newbie started strong . . . now it's all going to hell

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
HoseCrusher

Re: Newbie started strong . . . now it's all going to hell

Post by HoseCrusher » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:26 pm

You have the power!!!

My initial thought is that you should do it yourself so you can see what happens tonight. On Monday you can inform your doctor of what and why you made the adjustment.

I am not sure if your DME has the latitude to adjust the pressure to something that is different than the prescription but if you don't mind waiting a couple of days you could also explore that route.

I am of the opinion that no one is more interested in your health that you are, and if adjustments are made to overcome issues you are very capable of making those adjustments and monitoring their effects.

Tatooed Lady

Post by Tatooed Lady » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:30 pm

how old is your mask? could it be that it's starting to break down from use, and needs the pillow portion replaced? I tried the p10 last night for the first time, and I felt like I couldn't breathe enough air in. I haven't had issues with the other masks I have (Swift FX and 2 FFMs), just this one. And this is with using the largest size pillow that came with it. It was bad enough I had to peek at the settings to reassure myself that the DME didn't pull a fast one on me again and drop my pressure.

As Bette Davis famously said, “Old age ain’t for sissies.”
I'm with the band.
So.Many.TOYS!

BuddhaCat

Post by BuddhaCat » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:49 pm

HoseCrusher wrote:You have the power!!!

My initial thought is that you should do it yourself so you can see what happens tonight. On Monday you can inform your doctor of what and why you made the adjustment.

I am not sure if your DME has the latitude to adjust the pressure to something that is different than the prescription but if you don't mind waiting a couple of days you could also explore that route.

I am of the opinion that no one is more interested in your health that you are, and if adjustments are made to overcome issues you are very capable of making those adjustments and monitoring their effects.
I *like* that I have the power! Now to search the forum to find out how . . .

To someone with OSA, this saying takes on a whole new meaning:
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:53 pm

BuddhaCat wrote: BTW, if I do need to increase the starting pressure from 5 to 6, can I do that myself? I'd assumed only the DME could do it.
it's easy... all the instructions they have are in here: http://www.ablecarehealth.com/Equipment ... Manual.pdf

if your regular pressure hovers around 7-8, then a starting pressure around there would probably be better, so you don't wait for the machine to get up there once you start having issues.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

BuddhaCat

Post by BuddhaCat » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:54 pm

Tatooed Lady wrote:how old is your mask? could it be that it's starting to break down from use, and needs the pillow portion replaced? I tried the p10 last night for the first time, and I felt like I couldn't breathe enough air in. I haven't had issues with the other masks I have (Swift FX and 2 FFMs), just this one. And this is with using the largest size pillow that came with it. It was bad enough I had to peek at the settings to reassure myself that the DME didn't pull a fast one on me again and drop my pressure.
Thanks TattooedLady -- I've only used this mask since July 9. Hopefully it's not ready to break down yet -- though I do cleanse it with a very gentle soap/water combo every morning.

I'm using the medium size pillows, the largest ones I've got.

I have been wondering if I should try another pillow mask, though the P10 has mostly been good to me so far.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:04 pm

BuddhaCat wrote: Thanks TattooedLady -- I've only used this mask since July 9. Hopefully it's not ready to break down yet -- though I do cleanse it with a very gentle soap/water combo every morning.

I'm using the medium size pillows, the largest ones I've got.

I have been wondering if I should try another pillow mask, though the P10 has mostly been good to me so far.
if you read around on the threads here, you'll see some people that have been using the p10 for six months without having to change pillows (pugsy for one) and other that seem to go through pillows rapidly. from a few comments, it seems like the more you clean 'em, the faster they get leaky.

if you're not having problems with leaks, I wouldn't worry about needing new pillows.

however, the instructions on youtube from resmed say to make sure that the inner cones in each pillow are aligned right, and pointing the right way, if they get out of whack then you'll have problems..

like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MylY6a6KXMY#t=1m27s

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

BuddhaCat

Post by BuddhaCat » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:08 pm

palerider wrote:
BuddhaCat wrote: BTW, if I do need to increase the starting pressure from 5 to 6, can I do that myself? I'd assumed only the DME could do it.
it's easy... all the instructions they have are in here: http://www.ablecarehealth.com/Equipment ... Manual.pdf

if your regular pressure hovers around 7-8, then a starting pressure around there would probably be better, so you don't wait for the machine to get up there once you start having issues.
WOW . . . just wow. It's a whole new world in "Provider Mode!" I feel like Neo after Morpheus told him about The Matrix . . .

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:15 pm

BuddhaCat wrote:
palerider wrote:

WOW . . . just wow. It's a whole new world in "Provider Mode!" I feel like Neo after Morpheus told him about The Matrix . . .
just be careful where you step, some things in the matrix can be tricky.

seriously, I'd suggest not changing much at one time, and make notes on what you change, so if you don't like it, you can change it back. nothing in there is going to cause it to explode or anything.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:19 pm

also, take your water tank out and check the REF number on the bottom of your machine, if you've got 5-15 pressures, then you've picked the wrong one of the many confusing selections for remstar equipment.

I'm *guessing* you have a 560 model, which is the 60 series auto not the pro.

BuddhaCat

Post by BuddhaCat » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:27 pm

palerider wrote:
BuddhaCat wrote:
palerider wrote:

just be careful where you step, some things in the matrix can be tricky.

seriously, I'd suggest not changing much at one time, and make notes on what you change, so if you don't like it, you can change it back. nothing in there is going to cause it to explode or anything.
I'm erring on the side of caution, pale rider. I changed the pressure to 6.0 min rather than 5.0 min. We'll see how it works tonight {fingers crossed}.

BuddhaCat

Post by BuddhaCat » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:32 pm

palerider wrote:also, take your water tank out and check the REF number on the bottom of your machine, if you've got 5-15 pressures, then you've picked the wrong one of the many confusing selections for remstar equipment.

I'm *guessing* you have a 560 model, which is the 60 series auto not the pro.
Right again. I changed it to the right model in my tagline. Thanks!

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:36 pm

BuddhaCat wrote: I'm erring on the side of caution, pale rider. I changed the pressure to 6.0 min rather than 5.0 min. We'll see how it works tonight {fingers crossed}.
the wiser than me folks around here typically recommend make a small change, see how it goes for a few days, make another small change, till you get it to where it's working well for you.

also, feel free to try different aflex settings while laying there and see what feels better for you... for some folks that can make a big difference.

BuddhaCat

Post by BuddhaCat » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:42 pm

palerider wrote:
BuddhaCat wrote: I'm erring on the side of caution, pale rider. I changed the pressure to 6.0 min rather than 5.0 min. We'll see how it works tonight {fingers crossed}.
the wiser than me folks around here typically recommend make a small change, see how it goes for a few days, make another small change, till you get it to where it's working well for you.

also, feel free to try different aflex settings while laying there and see what feels better for you... for some folks that can make a big difference.
Yep, one change at a time!

RE: aflex, I tried it at the beginning on different settings and settled on 3 (highest). Might be worth a second look . . .

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:57 pm

Do you know how to access the clinician menu on your device? Many of us do ( I know my ResMed) and make adjustments

BuddhaCat

Post by BuddhaCat » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:02 pm

englandsf wrote:Do you know how to access the clinician menu on your device? Many of us do ( I know my ResMed) and make adjustments
Yes, just learned tonight. Palerider sent me a link with the keys to the kingdom. I'll let you know tomorrow how my experiment in raising my minimum pressure goes!