Bacteria, oh the horror! Sleep supplies and myths

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Goofproof

Re: Bacteria, oh the horror! Sleep supplies and myths

Post by Goofproof » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:16 pm

Justin Case wrote:Just a thought. Much information has been available on how to disinfect and clean your xPAP hoses, masks, humidifiers. Yet, I have never found any literature on how to actually disinfect the xPAP itself. In my little brain, me things it stands to reason that if you have staph bacteria that it will be transferred to your xPAP. That's always been my fear of considering a used xPAP.
palerider wrote: newer research has proven that it's not, even in healthy individuals with no UTI problems
How credible is this newer research?
It takes about 5 years for the smart people that mzke these findings to prove each other idiots and reverse tge findings 180 degrees. Those that do can do, those that can't teach. Those that can't do either, study it and write papers, about it. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Sludge

Post by Sludge » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:05 am

JustTia wrote:
chunkyfrog wrote:
Sludge wrote:
ShelaghDB wrote: . . . toothbrushes. . . sales.
Please do not use cpaptalk.com to advertise your products.
The reference was in context, and somewhat related; if the Goodmans don't object, I don't either.
This, +1. The reference to what she sells was perfectly in context and not to be considered "spam" in the least.
That, -2. While it is perfectly in context (DME sells crap you don't need, that thing sells crap you don't need), the key point is "selling crap you don't need".

If that thing is vying for the role of the Forum Arbiter, then it shouldn't be "selling crap you don't need".
You Kids Have Fun!!

JustTia

Post by JustTia » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:08 am

Sludge wrote:
JustTia wrote:
chunkyfrog wrote:
Sludge wrote:
ShelaghDB wrote: . . . toothbrushes. . . sales.
Please do not use cpaptalk.com to advertise your products.
The reference was in context, and somewhat related; if the Goodmans don't object, I don't either.
This, +1. The reference to what she sells was perfectly in context and not to be considered "spam" in the least.
That, -2. While it is perfectly in context (DME sells crap you don't need, that thing sells crap you don't need), the key point is "selling crap you don't need".

If that thing is vying for the role of the Forum Arbiter, then it shouldn't be "selling crap you don't need".
1) Referring to a human being, who clearly is female, as "that thing" shows a small mind.

2) While I agree on the forum arbiter point (forum "mom" being more accurate in my opinion), I disagree that she was selling anything.

Board culture. Learn it. Embrace it.

oberonChgo

Post by oberonChgo » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:43 am

Having worked in biotech research for years it's amazing to me that no one has mentioned that soaking in a solution of a capful of bleach in a gallon of water will sterilize most non-porous surfaces in several hours. Using an ultrasonic cleaner with the diluted bleach will speed the process and help to sterilize even porous surfaces.

Aside from the potential risk of pneumonia I would think that a thorough cleaning is recommended to reduce odors from developing.

SleepyToo2

Post by SleepyToo2 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:16 am

OberonChgo, I would be very careful about soaking any CPAP gear in bleach for several hours. It could destroy the mask.

RicaLynn

Post by RicaLynn » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:24 am

Lots of points to ponder here.

I live on a dirt side street and during the summer with the windows open, everything gets coated with a fine layer of dust. Since my PAP sits just a few feet from my bedroom window, I will be checking filters frequently. Inlet filters can cause excessive heat, and I intend for this PAP to last.

I have hard water so distilled is a must, but I'm also clumsy as hell and I can see myself causing damage to the reservoir while washing it out in my tiled bathroom. Murphy is an asshole that way.

I have an adorable Maine Coon with a plastic/rubber fetish; if it's bendy, she'll chew on it. I will likely be paying for another climate control hose out of pocket long before the six month mark, but if I should be so lucky I will definitely hold onto a spare that insurance has paid for until the inevitable occurs. Same goes with the vent hose and bracket. (And yes, I'm working on hose management solutions with this in mind. Plant pulleys and cable covers shall abound)

Pillows I shall stockpile, as it seems prudent to me to replace them after any nasty respiratory bug. My insurance allows for two per month, but I feel that two or three in reserve should be sufficient. As a healthcare worker I am far from germaphobic, but I am a MRSA carrier and quite frankly this thread has me so concerned about the broken skin on my nares that I almost feel the need to go scrub with antibac soap RIGHT NOW.

And that's probably way more than y'all wanted to hear from me. Can't wait to see some lasting results from my CPAP so my brain filters more effectively

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:50 pm

oberonChgo wrote:Having worked in biotech research for years it's amazing to me that no one has mentioned that soaking in a solution of a capful of bleach in a gallon of water will sterilize most non-porous surfaces in several hours. Using an ultrasonic cleaner with the diluted bleach will speed the process and help to sterilize even porous surfaces.

Aside from the potential risk of pneumonia I would think that a thorough cleaning is recommended to reduce odors from developing.
I don't know if it's likely to damage the plastic, but I really hate the smell of bleach. If I get some on my hands, it bothers me for the rest of the day even if I wash it off several times.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:55 pm

archangle wrote: but I really hate the smell of bleach. If I get some on my hands, it bothers me for the rest of the day even if I wash it off several times.
HAH! now I know how to chase away the curmudgeonly dog! where's my spray bottle???

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.