Bacteria, oh the horror! Sleep supplies and myths

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sludge

Re: Bacteria, oh the horror! Sleep supplies and myths

Post by Sludge » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:12 am

ShelaghDB wrote:One series of products i sell wholesale to people through Craiglist/eBay/etc are Philips Sonicare Diamond Clean Rechargeable toothbrushes. They sell for $229 in the stores and one box of replacement heads sells for $46 + tax so i sell them for about $150 for both.
They sell well.
But there is another one that i can't keep on the shelves by Philips called the Flexcare as it is advertised ( By Sonicaire itself) as having a UV Sanitizer. They make it known that when one flushes their toilet in the bathroom, germs from the toilet bowl get flushed up into the air and then settle on your toothbrush.
LOL
I can't keep that one in stock. Its so popular I even tell customers they needn't worry but it doesn't slow down sales.
Please do not use cpaptalk.com to advertise your products.

Thank you for your anticipated cooperation.
You Kids Have Fun!!

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:08 am

Justin Case wrote:
palerider wrote: newer research has proven that it's not, even in healthy individuals with no UTI problems
How credible is this newer research?
https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/gory-d ... r-rest-you
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/05/2 ... t-sterile/
http://www.webmd.com/news/20140519/ster ... -be-a-myth

more credibile than old wives tales.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:29 am

Contamination from CPAP masks. Probably germs that rubbed off of the patient's skin. You'd probably get the same or worse results taking cultures from people's skin, clothing, bedding, eyeglasses, etc. If you've already got strain X of Germ Y of germ living on your skin, getting it on your mask and then back on your face isn't going to make a lot of difference.

However, this is a good reason to not use someone else's CPAP mask.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:35 am

ShelaghDB wrote: the fact that the insurance companies DO allow them to be changed every 6 months tells me that there must be something to what you are saying.........
What the insurance companies are willing to pay for is a terrible way to decide whether something is medically necessary or not.

If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:41 am

Sludge wrote:
ShelaghDB wrote: . . . toothbrushes. . . sales.
The reference was in context, and somewhat related; if the Goodmans don't object, I don't either.

JustTia

Post by JustTia » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:44 am

chunkyfrog wrote:
Sludge wrote:
ShelaghDB wrote: . . . toothbrushes. . . sales.
The reference was in context, and somewhat related; if the Goodmans don't object, I don't either.
This, +1. The reference to what she sells was perfectly in context and not to be considered "spam" in the least.

Board culture. Learn it. Embrace it.

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:55 am

ShelaghDB wrote:
Dirty filter/cleaner air is a well known phenomenon in air filters in general. In particular, it's well known in industrial filters. That's a general rule with air filters, not an absolute rule in all cases.
Not familiar with this direction of thought but i shall worry less about changing it monthly although the 6 month rule seems an awfully long time but I will give it a bit more research now you have mentioned it.
6 months comes directly from the ResMed manual. However, check the filter every so often and see how dirty it looks. Change more often if it makes you feel better. Also realize that the crud on the air filter is what you're breathing whenever you're not using the CPAP machine.

Useful Links.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:02 am

archangle wrote:
ShelaghDB wrote:
Dirty filter/cleaner air is a well known phenomenon in air filters in general. In particular, it's well known in industrial filters. That's a general rule with air filters, not an absolute rule in all cases.
Not familiar with this direction of thought but i shall worry less about changing it monthly although the 6 month rule seems an awfully long time but I will give it a bit more research now you have mentioned it.
6 months comes directly from the ResMed manual. However, check the filter every so often and see how dirty it looks. Change more often if it makes you feel better. Also realize that the crud on the air filter is what you're breathing whenever you're not using the CPAP machine.
she ignored it when I told her where to find it... good luck

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Zeecat

Post by Zeecat » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:40 am

This may have been answered and I missed it, but do you change the distilled water in the humidifier every night or do you just add to it?

Currently trying mask #5.
With humor it can all be done.

JustTia

Post by JustTia » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:42 am

Zeecat wrote:This may have been answered and I missed it, but do you change the distilled water in the humidifier every night or do you just add to it?
This may be horrifying, but I just add to it all week. I take it out and wash it with soap and water once a week or so, and let it air dry. But the rest of the week I just top it off.

Board culture. Learn it. Embrace it.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:01 am

Zeecat wrote:This may have been answered and I missed it, but do you change the distilled water in the humidifier every night or do you just add to it?
on the rare occasions that I put water in my humidifier, (if it's even attached) I just top it up when using distilled, if I'm using tap I'll dump out and refill to cut down on mineral deposits.

if I open it up to refill and some emerging life form waves back at me, then I'll change out the water

Zeecat

Post by Zeecat » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:14 am

I just refill mine, and I'm fine. As my mom would say when I was a kid "Are you bleeding to death? No? Then you're fine."

That's one thing my DME did not do. She didn't try to sell me additional supplies. She did say to just use Johnson's Baby Shampoo.

Currently trying mask #5.
With humor it can all be done.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:34 am

Zeecat wrote:As my mom would say when I was a kid "Are you bleeding to death? No? Then you're fine."
I had a friend back in college that'd come back to school after having four boys, she'd joke about how when the first one was young, everything was a crisis, every little cut and scrape... by the time #4 came around, it was "is there an EXCESSIVE amount of blood? is there a bone sticking out of the skin? no? then why are you bothering me?"

HealthyandHopeful

Post by HealthyandHopeful » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:51 pm

My DME said to change the filter every 2 weeks. I changed it today after about 3 1/2 weeks and it only had a few scattered specs in it. I won't change it that soon again!
He gave me enough filters to change it out that often though. Also gave me enough nasal pillows to change out every two weeks as well. I guess insurance is paying for this? I haven't been in treatment for even a month yet so I haven't figured it all out! I go Friday for my one month compliance check up!

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:01 pm

HealthyandHopeful wrote:My DME said to change the filter every 2 weeks. I changed it today after about 3 1/2 weeks and it only had a few scattered specs in it. I won't change it that soon again!
He gave me enough filters to change it out that often though. Also gave me enough nasal pillows to change out every two weeks as well. I guess insurance is paying for this? I haven't been in treatment for even a month yet so I haven't figured it all out! I go Friday for my one month compliance check up!
as archangel like to say "if it's midnight and your DME says it's dark outside, go check for yourself".