Edema / Facial Swelling

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ChasingSheep

Re: Edema / Facial Swelling

Post by ChasingSheep » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:45 pm

Hey Puffy Eyes,

I have found the solution, although some people on this board may beg to differ. That is to get off the CPAP, I have stopped using my machine because my eyes were getting so swollen and painful that I couldn't even go to work. I have stopped using my CPAP machine for about 1-2 months now, and is in the process of obtaining an oral appliance. The swelling have all but disappeared after the first week or two, however the eczema and general dryness/rawness stayed. I have tried those steroid cream as you have, and they are next to no help because they are either too strong to be used facially or too weak to do anything. Here's how to deal with the eczema around your eyes, keep it hydrated AT ALL TIMES, especially before bed. I applied organic virgin coconut oil around my eyes throughout the day initially, and now down to some nights only when I feel like it's coming back. The eczema around my eyes have all but cleared using this method. I know it sounds funny but it works. I suspect using something like petroleum jelly would work too, because the idea is to keep the area hydrated. And yes, I am pretty tired several days a week, but quite frankly, wasn't too big of a difference compared to when I was on the CPAP. Hope this was helpful to you, because it sucked big time when I was going through it and couldn't find any answers.

Disclaimer: I have a mild case of apnea, RDI = 11/hr.

Edit: Oh I forgot to add--although the swelling and eczema have gone, my upper eyelid has become more loose than it was before(as in they appear more hooded above my eyelid). So I would advise you to not let it get too swollen or your eyelid will probably lose some elasticity as mine did.

Puffy eyes

Re: Edema / Facial Swelling

Post by Puffy eyes » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:40 am

Thanks ChasingSheep!