I just don't know if I can do this

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Day_Dreamer

Re: I just don't know if I can do this

Post by Day_Dreamer » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:38 am

BlackSpinner wrote:Make sure the exhaled air doesn't hit any of the bedding.

B Spinner,

I am glad you mentioned this, I do not see this discussed much (if at all) and I imagine it is a problem that many people have. It probably increases CA's. I am going to start another discussion threads on this...soon

JCWarrior

Post by JCWarrior » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:54 am

Day_Dreamer wrote:

B Spinner,

I am glad you mentioned this, I do not see this discussed much (if at all) and I imagine it is a problem that many people have. It probably increases CA's. I am going to start another discussion threads on this...soon
Curious to learn about this myslef.

Agathorn

Post by Agathorn » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:55 am

Day_Dreamer wrote:

B Spinner,

Its also nearly impossible to do with this mask venting in 360 degrees with significant force.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:00 pm

Agathorn wrote:
Day_Dreamer wrote:
Its also nearly impossible to do with this mask venting in 360 degrees with significant force.
the piliaro q mask has a little filter pad and holder that clips over the vent holes to difuse the air, perhaps you could devise something that would work.

alternatively, though it would make your breathing sounds more pronounced, try earplugs, then all the other noises wouldn't bother you.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Zeecat

Post by Zeecat » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:27 pm

I've only been on CPAP for 6 weeks and posted earlier about giving up. I feel your pain!

So far the only mask I've been able to get "some" sleep with has been the Philips Respironics Wisp Nasal mask, with a liner cut out of thin cloth and with the headgear feeling "too loose" though I'm guessing it isn't I just want to tighten it instinctively. Even with this I get leaks and the mask pushes off my nose when I'm on my side. The swivel connector on the tube for this mask is nice because it unclips at the mask which means you don't have to remove the headgear if you get up. This has made it much easier to ensure that I keep the mask on all night.

I'm afraid I don't have a lot of advice to offer, however, I can offer you my support as I'm right there with you.

I've been lucky in that my husband has been very supportive. Between him and reminding myself of the health consequences if I stop using the CPAP, I've managed to still put it on every night. Hang in there, I hear it's worth it.

Currently trying mask #5.
With humor it can all be done.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:36 pm

Agathorn wrote:
Day_Dreamer wrote:

B Spinner,

Ummm I doubt many masks vent 360 degrees - your head would be in the way. My Hybrid only has little holes on the front. The air never hits any bedding as long as I sleep on the edge of the pillow and tuck the sheets around me.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Agathorn

Post by Agathorn » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:42 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:
Agathorn wrote:
Day_Dreamer wrote:

B Spinner,

Ummm I doubt many masks vent 360 degrees - your head would be in the way. My Hybrid only has little holes on the front. The air never hits any bedding as long as I sleep on the edge of the pillow and tuck the sheets around me.
It is 360. A circle on a flat plane is 360 degrees, and thats what it is. When I lie on my side, the venting blows on the pillow.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:30 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:
Agathorn wrote:
Day_Dreamer wrote:
he's trying to say that it's a ring around the swivel attachment, it makes it much more diffuse than the normal patch where there's a big blast going in one direction.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

library lady

Post by library lady » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:42 pm

Agathorn wrote:
library lady wrote:Have you tried mask liners? They were a game changer for me; I would not have been able to keep up with this without them. No more leaks that wake me up, and they make me more comfortable. The leaks I do have before getting to sleep are much quieter, more like a little blip... not bothersome. Karen at Pad-A-Cheek is a forum member and has nice ones, also strap pads and anti-leak straps, go here: http://www.padacheek.com. There is another brand, RemZzzzs that you should be able to get from your DME, and they are also sold by our sponsors, cpap.com.
How do the liners help with leaks? I thought they were just for comfort and to prevent marks on your face.
I really don't know exactly, but they're kind of like a gasket. I just know that I had constant leaking with loud farting noises from my mask dancing on my face, and once I started using liners all of that stopped. Once in a while I will feel a little "blip" on my face, but the noise is gone, and I rarely have a leak that wakes me It wasn't until I started using liners that I was able to get to sleep at all, and most nights I sleep through the night.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

Sclark08

Post by Sclark08 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:47 pm

Keep switching until you find the right one. I have had 500 and none of them fit exactly right. I picked the best one after trying for 1 year. I still have bad nights afyter 2 years but I ambetter thyen I was. Best of luck!

BuddhaCat

Post by BuddhaCat » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:15 pm

Agathorn wrote:
glarnold wrote:One thing you might want to try...

I noticed that you said you said you had to clamp down tight to get a seal

This sounds counter-intuitive, I know, but my experience, and lots of help from folks here, finally led me to fit the mask looser. Much looser. Then, when the air comes on, the silicon cushion billows out and makes a seal.

Can't hurt to try. And cheap to do.

JMHO
Unfortunately I have tried that, but as soon as I lie down on the pillow on my side, the mask gets pushed and the seal broken.
For side sleeping - make sure your mask hangs over the edge of the pillow.
The problem with that is then I can't sleep. I normally sleep with a long body pillow, and I like to smoosh down into it. I've obviously had to back off on that, but I still like lying in the middle of the pillow. I bought a memory foam pillow to try sleeping on that on the edge but all that does is add a new problem because I don't find that way of sleeping to be comfortable. The problem is i'm fighting 30 years of habit here.
Agathorn: I feel your pain, and I think you can tell that many good people are rallying behind you. We'll keep trying if you will!

Here's one small suggestion. It was important for my own comfort and progress.

I wear the P10 and struggled with a combination of nasal irritation and mask leak. Then I read the forum comments about buckwheat hull pillows and bought this:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/p ... 1014103171

It doesn't look like much in that photo, but I found it to be a lifesaver. I sometimes sleep on the buckwheat hull side, sometimes on the millet side. I keep it very "filled out" rather than removing some of the buckwheat and/or millet, which you can do for comfort. It gives me neck stability and also the crucial ability to "carve out" a space for my mask. Some people find it hard to sleep on, but as a very light sleeper I was happy to find it a comfortable fit for me.

If you happen to buy it at BB&B, use one of their 20% off coupons. I paid about $32. Now I'm going to shell out for the travel version.

Good luck!

To someone with OSA, this saying takes on a whole new meaning:
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

cuyahogaguy

Post by cuyahogaguy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:28 pm

Exactly how tired are you when you hit the bed? Our society is very sedentary. Most people i know make a half hearted attempt at getting a workout but i watch them at the gym or track. They mostly talk, lift weights for about 10 minutes in between talking, or do 4 laps around a track.

You should be exhausted when you go to bed. A lot of days i walk 90 minutes and do a short swim. I go to bed, get an interesting book but one that can bore me if i get drowsy. Say an information almanac with statistics.

Put the mask on, breathe normally, and read.

Drift off to sleep, rinse and repeat as necessary.

If youre not getting a complete body workout, fatigueing all your muscles (swimming is best) then you have no real excuse for "not being tired" at night. Your body will get tired enough to go to sleep when needed.

Tatooed Lady

Post by Tatooed Lady » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:36 pm

I would think the comment about making sure the mask doesn't vent into blankets, pillows, whatever is more in relation to the noise it can make than the rebreathing of stale air...my Swift FX blows pretty hard all in one direction. Annoying when it blows on stuff (noise-wise), and irritating if it blows direct onto my arm/hand...so I just ordered the P10 in hopes to be one step closer to Nirvana.

As Bette Davis famously said, “Old age ain’t for sissies.”
I'm with the band.
So.Many.TOYS!

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:08 pm

Tatooed Lady wrote:so I just ordered the P10 in hopes to be one step closer to Nirvana.
you can feel the air from it, but you have to get within a few inches, (depending on your pressure)

I don't know why more companies don't do like the F&P people do on their piliaro q, and offer a little pad of filter material and a clip that diffuses the airflow.

Agathorn

Post by Agathorn » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:11 pm

cuyahogaguy wrote:Exactly how tired are you when you hit the bed? Our society is very sedentary. Most people i know make a half hearted attempt at getting a workout but i watch them at the gym or track. They mostly talk, lift weights for about 10 minutes in between talking, or do 4 laps around a track.

You should be exhausted when you go to bed. A lot of days i walk 90 minutes and do a short swim. I go to bed, get an interesting book but one that can bore me if i get drowsy. Say an information almanac with statistics.

Put the mask on, breathe normally, and read.

Drift off to sleep, rinse and repeat as necessary.

If youre not getting a complete body workout, fatigueing all your muscles (swimming is best) then you have no real excuse for "not being tired" at night. Your body will get tired enough to go to sleep when needed.
I won't lie, you describe me pretty well. I have a very bad lifestyle, in that not only do I work a sitting office job, but I generally do it in a very dark building. I work in visual effects, and offices tend to be kept dark for color accuracy. I've read before that lack of sunlight can cause problems with sleep patterns. I also live in Vancouver where you don't even see the sun for half the year.

I don't work out. In the summer I tend to cycle, but that's it. I would almost never say I feel "exhausted" when I go to bed. Generally I go to bed because its just time to go to bed and I don't feel up to doing anything else that day My job is mentally demanding, not physical demanding.