NY Times re Home Testing

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Drowsy Dancer

Re: NY Times re Home Testing

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:26 am

Sludge wrote:
Christine L wrote:To get a job writing for a newspaper, do you have to be a big, whiney baby?
I don't know, but given his history:
I dropped off fast but woke up soaked in sweat at 3 a.m...

...I’d had a 10-minute cluster of apneas at 2 a.m. that dropped my oxygen level to 78 percent.
I figure his spot should open up within 5 years.
Yeah, I was surprised everyone in the article was so nonchalant about that desat.

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke

sawinglogz

Re: NY Times re Home Testing

Post by sawinglogz » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:03 am

Janknitz wrote:I do not think they are inferior to lab tests for run of the mill OSA, though if someone had a more complex issue that may not hold true. I think they are superior for OSA.
That's probably right, and why my insurer required an inconclusive HST before they'd approve an in-lab study. (Even after the first provider went out of business before providing my results because they couldn't be profitable just conducting home tests!)

On the other hand, mine was all hypopneas, which the HST wasn't sensitive enough to detect. Which I could have told them since I'd already recorded my pulse-ox stats and never had massive desats. Just enough to keep waking me up every 3 minutes.

I was so sleep-deprived from the insomnia that I had no trouble falling asleep in my initial test.

Titration, however, was another story.

The first titration study I only got an hour or two of sleep. And it showed evidence of centrals, so I had to come back for an ASV titration. I got more sleep that time. But most of that was the unfamiliarity of a mask and dealing with this thing blowing air at different pressures.

The facility itself was fine, and the way they wired me up wasn't uncomfortable at all. They ran all the wires to the back of my neck like I had a pony tail. As long as I didn't sleep flat on that thick bundle of wires, I was fine. I only ever needed the box if I needed to get up to go to the bathroom.