DME just remotely fiddled with my settings...grrrr!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Tatooed Lady

DME just remotely fiddled with my settings...grrrr!

Post by Tatooed Lady » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:25 pm

So I'm 60 days into my therapy. The first month sucked. I used "prescribed" settings. I was tired, headachy, blah.Then I took charge of my therapy and have tweaked settings. In 60 days I have had TWO days of AHI over 5...and two more that barely topped 4. I think I'm doing just ducky. So I got compliance info sent to DME earlier, and she REMOTELY RESET MY MACHINE. No warning, even. How RUDE. I noticed tonight as I set myself up for bed that the pressure felt low...stuffy...settings were wrong. So I popped the SD card into the laptop to check against SH...yep. Back to wide open, humidity wrong, etc. As of TODAY. I changed it back. Monday I call my handler and tell him I'm too close to menopause for this to be healthy for the DME to pull again. Tomorrow DME gets an ear chewing, and I will tell them to shove the modem, if this is what they plan to do. I will find an alternate way to get them compliance data.

As Bette Davis famously said, “Old age ain’t for sissies.”
I'm with the band.
So.Many.TOYS!

Krelvin

Re: DME just remotely fiddled with my settings...grrrr!

Post by Krelvin » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:40 pm

Can't imagine the DME touching my machine. It is possible, since I don't know what they are using to access it, that when they connect it resets the default settings they have for your account automatically without them actually doing anything but connecting.

They key I would think would be to talk to your dr and tell them what is working and have them change the RX to match what works best and then if you have to deal with the DME have their settings changed.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

JustTia

Post by JustTia » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:16 pm

Oooo...this reminds me to remove the modem from my machine. I broke up with my DME and the last thing I want is them still remotely messing with my settings.

Board culture. Learn it. Embrace it.

robysue

Post by robysue » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:34 pm

Tatooed Lady wrote: I changed it back. Monday I call my handler and tell him I'm too close to menopause for this to be healthy for the DME to pull again. Tomorrow DME gets an ear chewing, and I will tell them to shove the modem, if this is what they plan to do. I will find an alternate way to get them compliance data.
Good for you!

Seriously though: Tatooed Lady's experience of the DME changing her settings and not bothering to tell her about it is one of my BIGGEST objections to the whole idea of slapping a modem that transmits the data wirelessly.

I expect that as modems become more common, this kind of thing will also become more common. And that represents an outrageous step backwards towards keeping us all in the dark about how our therapy is (or is not) working.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:40 pm

I would assume the modem needs a land line to hook up to. None here. dropped all land lines years ago. Only Cell phones in the house now.

I think that is a trend that will continue to grow.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:44 pm

Krelvin wrote:I would assume the modem needs a land line to hook up to. None here. dropped all land lines years ago. Only Cell phones in the house now.

No they use cell phone technology.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

poppi2

Post by poppi2 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:55 pm

Krelvin wrote:I would assume the modem needs a land line to hook up to...
In another thread, someone mentioned the modems are cell phone based.

robysue

Post by robysue » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:07 pm

Krelvin wrote:I would assume the modem needs a land line to hook up to. None here. dropped all land lines years ago. Only Cell phones in the house now.
Nope. The modems use the same cellular networks the cell phones use.
Yes, and that's why I find it so darn scary.

The Latinist

Post by The Latinist » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:09 pm

Krelvin wrote:It is possible, since I don't know what they are using to access it, that when they connect it resets the default settings they have for your account automatically without them actually doing anything but connecting.
No, my DME downloads compliance data regularly through the modem and my settings have never been reset. So it is a decision they have made to enforce prescription settings, not something they have no control over.
poppi2 wrote:
Krelvin wrote:I would assume the modem needs a land line to hook up to...
In another thread, someone mentioned the modems are cell phone based.
Yeah, the modems are GSM-based. In the US, they connect to AT&T's network.

I have have a modem on my machine, and it needs to stay in place until my rental period is up in February. Then it comes off. I have no use for my DME, I buy all my supplies out of pocket, and I doubt I'll be buying my machine through my insurance next time anyway. And I have a lifetime prescription on file with CPAP.com.

One other thing: my doctor changed my settings in the office during my last visit. I seriously doubt he faxed a new prescription to my DME. I don't see how they could just go changing my settings willy-nilly without knowing whether my doctor made the change.

robysue

Post by robysue » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:20 pm

The Latinist wrote:
Krelvin wrote:It is possible, since I don't know what they are using to access it, that when they connect it resets the default settings they have for your account automatically without them actually doing anything but connecting.
No, my DME downloads compliance data regularly through the modem and my settings have never been reset. So it is a decision they have made to enforce prescription settings, not something they have no control over.
Agreed. But I still do not think the DME should be doing this. After all, suppose that Tattooed Lady had been to the doc's office and they'd told her to bring the machine in just in case they wanted to change the script then and there without telling the DME. (I once upon a time had a sleep doc who did want you to bring in the whole machine just in case ...)
One other thing: my doctor changed my settings in the office during my last visit. I seriously doubt he faxed a new prescription to my DME. I don't see how they could just go changing my settings willy-nilly without knowing whether my doctor made the change.
The thing that I'm worried about is that the ability to change the script wirelessly allows the DME and sleep doc to "talk" to each other without the patient ever being involved. In other words, what would you think if your doc decided to change your script based on data the DME sent to him and neither he nor the DME bothered to tell you about it?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:58 am

I'd make a tin foil hat for my cpap, and ground it, making sure it could still cool and breath.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:02 am

Wouldn't work at my place, we don't have AT&T cellular coverage. We barely have Verizon, the only reason that works is that I have a Verizon Network Extender that I had to pay Verizon for so that their service that we're paying for works.

Bunch of doo-dah if you ask me *smile*. My sleep doctor got compliance data by having me bring in my machine (I just bring in my SD card now) for follow-up visits. He doesn't play with my settings, lets me do that part.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:00 am

Isn't compliance requirement only 30 days?

SleepyDreamCatcher

Post by SleepyDreamCatcher » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:53 am

The length of the compliance period is up to your insurance company. I have a 10 month compliance period. Thankfully my machine does not have a modem on it.

Tatooed Lady

Post by Tatooed Lady » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:34 am

Actually, I was told 2 weeks of compliance prior to getting my federal medical card renewed. I'm 2 months in, and over compliance requirements. I called the DME number that came across my phone yesterday, her voicemail sounds like an exercise in speed talking. Sheesh, I couldn't understand 95% of what she said. But I didn't leave a message. I will lambast her by surprise. And my safety department will get an earful as well.

I have, FWIW, NEVER SEEN a doctor over this. Just the DME woman on two occasions. I also have not seen a prescription or any info showing pressure required. Just that I need supplies.

I also removed the modem and clipped on the plastic cover with the SD card slot until I get a promise from them not to mess up my settings EVER again. I also see in the clinician menu something about locking system one...I assume it's to lock others out of the system, but it's currently OFF. if I turn it ON, do I get to pick a code, or is there a generic unlock code? I don't want to "oops" myself out of my own therapy.

As Bette Davis famously said, “Old age ain’t for sissies.”
I'm with the band.
So.Many.TOYS!