Can't stay asleep!!! 2 - 3 hours and I wake up

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chriscummings83

Can't stay asleep!!! 2 - 3 hours and I wake up

Post by chriscummings83 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:43 pm

I have been on and off CPAP for years. I feel its starting to affect me. I have never really been able to sleep in entire night on it.

I have the S8 Autoset II w humidifier and Swift LT hose. Settings:

Auto - 7 min - 14 max - most night when i get up and check the pressure its stayed at 9.8 most.

I don't know if its my back hurting, or my shoulders or what is waking me up. 2 - 3 hours and poof i wake up and its at pressure 9.8 which i cannot fall back asleep on.

Any help would be great

Sir NoddinOff

Re: Can't stay asleep!!! 2 - 3 hours and I wake up

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:46 pm

Do you eventually go back to sleep or do you lay there ruminating for an hour or more while tossing and turning? What do you think your total hours of real sleep per night amounts to? How do you feel the next day?

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:29 pm

Try OTC Melatonin.....(Check with your doctor first)

markdh

Post by markdh » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:43 pm

chriscummings83 wrote:I have been on and off CPAP for years. I feel its starting to affect me. I have never really been able to sleep in entire night on it.

I have the S8 Autoset II w humidifier and Swift LT hose. Settings:

Auto - 7 min - 14 max - most night when i get up and check the pressure its stayed at 9.8 most.

I don't know if its my back hurting, or my shoulders or what is waking me up. 2 - 3 hours and poof i wake up and its at pressure 9.8 which i cannot fall back asleep on.

Any help would be great
The best night I ever had on Cpap was one wakeup. Most nights I wake up 3 times, but at least I usually get 3-4 hours between the second and third, and I usually just fall back to sleep after each.

I'm just resigned to it, because even with the disrupted sleep I still feel better than I did without PAP.

chriscummings83

Post by chriscummings83 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:19 pm

I usually just get up, and take the mask off and fall back to sleep. I will try just restarting the machine to get the level back down to 7.

Curious what settling is, because why can't i set the min at 9.8 which is what it likes to goto, then click ramp or something to fall asleep.

dont' understand why min is 7 and max is 14 and it starts on the min?

do you think its my machine waking me up, being a resmed that shoots up fast to correct the apnea?

is it worth buying a new S9, or switching to the PR 560

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:33 pm

Settling is what the Autoset uses instead of ramp. It gives you a lower pressure for a period of time. Once that period of time has passed it goes to the pressure needed. You may want to increase the minimum to 8 and set the settling time to something like 15 minutes but no longer.

You can also reduce your maximum pressure to something like 12. This should give you a good range to work within.

Check your data and see how it works.

Not sure why you wake up after a short period of time. Maybe your personal sleep clock is off an all the extra oxygen you get by eliminating apneas is totally energizing your brain... Or maybe it is something else.

chriscummings83

Post by chriscummings83 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:43 pm

Ok changing my pressure to 8 and 12. When I do that and raise my number from 7 to 8. Even when it says settling the pressure has increased

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:50 pm

A couple of things come to mind regarding waking up during the night: Get your doctor involved and have a blood test done on your thyroid gland. Another thing to have checked are your adrenal glands being overactive, especially if you wake up with a racing heart or nervous system. It takes a simple cortisol test that involves taking four saliva samples during the 24 hour period, including one or two at night. Some people on the forum claim too low vitamin D3 blood serum levels can contribute to early wake-ups. These are just some of the things I have experience with, obviously there could be many other factors... sleep maintenance insomnia (the official term) can be a bear to diagnose, including as you mentioned, your machine's optimal settings. Good luck and let us know how things go.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:08 pm

chriscummings83 wrote:I usually just get up, and take the mask off and fall back to sleep.
How long would you estimate you sleep every night without your machine?

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke

chriscummings83

Post by chriscummings83 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:25 pm

If I work all day. Got up early. I will be in bed by 11. I will wake up 2 times to adjust. Move from right side to left side.
I fall asleep within 20 mins and when I don't use the mask I fall right back to sleep.
I use a nose strip to help open airways when not using cpap.

markdh

Post by markdh » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:26 pm

chriscummings83 wrote:I usually just get up, and take the mask off and fall back to sleep. I will try just restarting the machine to get the level back down to 7.

Curious what settling is, because why can't i set the min at 9.8 which is what it likes to goto, then click ramp or something to fall asleep.

dont' understand why min is 7 and max is 14 and it starts on the min?

do you think its my machine waking me up, being a resmed that shoots up fast to correct the apnea?

is it worth buying a new S9, or switching to the PR 560
I'm not familiar with your machine. I have the Resmed S9, but once I figured out what pressure range my machine was spending most of the night at I tightened the auto range to either side of that, i.e say 12 to 13. I never found having a wide range to be much help other than determining what my real range should be.

Maybe you can set your minimum to 9.8. Like I said, I'm not familiar with the S8. Personally, I found any pressure below 8 made me feel like I wasn't getting enough air.

chriscummings83

Post by chriscummings83 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:30 pm

On my machine 6.6 is normal breathing. I'm gonna bump it to 8 and see if I can fall asleep.

But I don't know why that would be waking me up. If I spent all night at 7 and then jumped to 9.8 it wouldn't register 9.8.

snuginarug

Post by snuginarug » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:05 pm

Sir Nodinoff has good advice... rule out as many things as possible. There are so many possible physical causes.

As for your machine settings... some people find they do better with a tighter range or running in straight cpap mode with one pressure because the changes in pressure disturb their sleep.

There is also the possibility of psychological interference. You're sleeping without the machine for a portion of the night. Your unconscious may not be committed to cpap therapy and wake you up with knowledge that you will eventually give up and sleep without the mask. Making a mental commitment to always wearing the mask might make a difference. It's so so hard to be disciplined in the middle of the night when you are exhausted and just want some sleep. But it might help.

Good luck!

chriscummings83

Post by chriscummings83 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:35 am

2:58 mins tonight on my machine. Just woke up. It didn't seem to be caused by the machine as I felt I was breathing normal.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:22 am

I am assuming you are saying just under 3hours. So when you woke up, what did you do? Keep lying down?, take the mask off and sit up?. What is it like where you are sleeping, Light, noisy? Do you have a Cell phone close by?
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin