Is my machine on in the beginning or turning off by my pics?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ShelaghDB

Is my machine on in the beginning or turning off by my pics?

Post by ShelaghDB » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:13 pm

Hi. I am wondering if someone would be nice enough to interpret these screens for me please?

I moved into a new bedroom and seem to be having a problem with the machine, I think and just want something either confirmed, or not.

2 nights ago the machine suddenly went off and my air stopped. I think I pulled it as it was in a position further away than the last set up.
That night it happened twice and I was so pleased the next morning for even though I had had it happen again and took my mask off at 1.5 hours I had no apneas for the night and was thrilled to see a happy face.

Now i am not so sure I got that happy face honestly

I went to bed last night 11.00pm and I seem to remember waking up at what appears to be 12:20. I was half asleep and can’t remember IF i felt my air had stopped or was too low as if i wasn’t getting enough OR whether I was getting too much?
Something was wrong but I didn’t bring myself awake enough that i remember exactly today what that was.
At 12;20 my leak rate spiked so that would have been me taking the mask off for a minute or two ( i think it was a minute or two but I know i took it off)

I then put it back on and it appears to ramp up again.
Come to think of it, and i might be wrong, I don’t think i remember actually pressing any buttons to start it again, but i might be wrong.

Looking at my event flags and AHI, it doesn’t appear as if anything was happening?
Am I right? was it turned off somehow?

At that time, 12;20’ish I put it back on again and was asleep again before i knew it. Or I never really woke up properly anyhow so just back to sleep in a deeper state.

So I do see some action the rest of the night although I remember at one point i felt that feeling again and took the mask off thinking i was about to get up anyhow but fell back asleep so i slept for 3 more hours without it on……

With what i have told you here, is there anyone able to read my charts that can tell me what might have happened, or is everything ok?

Thanks

 5k 27" Retina iMac,
 MacBookPro 10.9.5 13" 2.53Ghz + 10.9.5 13" 2.4Ghz
 iPad 4 16Gig + 3G  iPhone 5 + One + One 64gig CyanogenMod Version
 Apple TV + Airport Extreme

archangle

Re: Is my machine on in the beginning or turning off by my pics?

Post by archangle » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:58 pm

The high leak rate at 00:20 indicates your mask off or badly misaligned and your air was all escaping.

The pressure drop and ramp back up indicates your machine was turned off and then turned back on.

This may mean you took your mask off and turned it off and back on.

However, the S9 has a "smartstart" feature. It turns off the machine when you take your mask off and starts it again when you put your mask on.

You may have had a really bad leak or taken the mask off and the machine turned off due to smartstart. Then when you put the mask back on or the leak went away, the machine restarted.

To further complicate the issue, smartstart may or may not work with a full face mask like you have.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:15 pm

archangle wrote: To further complicate the issue, smartstart may or may not work with a full face mask like you have.
fwiw, it's always worked with mine, across multiple machines. it's pretty sensitive.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:41 pm

if you have a mask leak the machine may not recognize you are breathing and therefore not turn on

ShelaghDB

Post by ShelaghDB » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:12 pm

Hmm..........guess no one read the actual question

Yes i did have a mask leak at 00:20 (12:20) BECAUSE I TOOK THE MASK OFF THEN in reaction to what was apparently happening OR not happening BEFORE that point in time.
I pointed that out in my initial question.

Im not having mask leaks as far as i know.......

This is the same mask I wear and it i don't get leaks.
However, the S9 has a "smartstart" feature. It turns off the machine when you take your mask off and starts it again when you put your mask on.
That I have noticed it is not doing with my QUATTRO FF mask but did with my nasal mask but I don't have leaking with the Quattro, only the nasal but I was wearing the QUATTRO last night

I am suspecting an electrical shortage problem........I am not asking about a face mask leak

 5k 27" Retina iMac,

ShelaghDB

Post by ShelaghDB » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:19 pm

Ok maybe i have confused people with my question so let me put it another way..........

When I went to sleep, the machine was ON.......about one and a half hours or so into it, I show a HUGE spike but that is me TAKING OFF MY MASKE.......its a self inflicted leakage so i don't need that answered as i know i did that and said so in the initial question.

What I DONT understand is that from the moment I slept UNTIL that huge spike there doesn't seem to be any action at all and i know thats wrong.

I took my mask off where you see it spike for if i remember correctly i woke up realizing I had NO air pumping through.................I THINK the machine turned off, but i can't tell as I cannot yet read these charts.

I am trying to figure out what happened between my time of going to sleep until that huge spike took place

Whatever DID happen.......i think it might have happened around 4am as well and IF i am right, it happened when i went to sleep 2 nights ago as well.

My AHI, event flags, and leak rate basically show NO action from sleep time till the huge spike...........theres no way i didn't have events in that time............im trying to figure out why nothing is showing................for whatever that is has likely to do with why i woke up with no air, i think it was........and at 4am again with no air or too much air, i am not sure which as i was asleep but i know something isn't right

To further complicate the issue, smartstart may or may not work with a full face mask like you have.
also curious to know why they don't work with FF masks?
or, in order to make sure i havent mistakenly turned it off, what setting is it for that, does it say smartstart?

Last edited by ShelaghDB on Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 5k 27" Retina iMac,

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:27 pm

ShelaghDetachedBrain wrote: What I DONT understand is that from the moment I slept UNTIL that huge spike there doesn't seem to be any action at all and i know thats wrong.
so, you're complaining that, even though there's flow information, "nothing happened"?

perhaps if you gibbered less, you'd make more sense.

Last edited by palerider on Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get OSCAR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ShelaghDB

Post by ShelaghDB » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:29 pm

If you are going to insult someone in that manner, please follow it up and show me EXACTLY where I "gibbered"

 5k 27" Retina iMac,

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:31 pm

ShelaghDetachedBrain wrote:
If you are going to insult someone in that manner, please follow it up and show me EXACTLY where I "gibbered"
perhaps the fact that nobody can figure out what you're attempting to ask should be a clue?

Last edited by palerider on Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get OSCAR

ShelaghDB

Post by ShelaghDB » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:36 pm

To anyone else that wishes to reply politely............i personally feel my question was quite clear but i shall explain again and perhaps explaIn further

I have Severe Sleep Apnea.
I don't go 2 hours without events.
At least so far it would appear

Something is wrong but i don't know what it is but I have a feeling it has to do with a plug or electrical outlet.
Unfortunately these 2 incidents have happened whilst I was in a deep sleep and i never came to enough to know exactly what it was.

But from the moment I went to bed, until 12:20........i apparently don't have any events.
Ok, thats not really my concern although that in itself is odd with my history but at 12:20 I woke up enough to take off my mask becaUse it felt as if the machine had suddenly stopped.
This happened 2 nights ago as well and when i did wake up the first time, it was off.
I don't know if i am knocking something in my sleep which is knocking the plug, or what...........but thats why I am trying to find out IF my readings on this thing show as if something is potentially wrong before the 12:20 state where I SPIKE high as I woke up suffocating, if i remember correctly as there was no air in the machine coming through........whether that tok place for a few seconds, one second, or longer I don't know.

 5k 27" Retina iMac,

ShelaghDB

Post by ShelaghDB » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:40 pm

perhaps the fact that nobody can figure out what you're attempting to ask should be a clue?

Go Fuck Yourself you silly little twat.

No one else appeared to have any problems.
You are the only one with the problem
Guest answered me correctly.

Take your attitude and shove it up your ass.
I am SO TIRED of people like you online.
Learn to have a filter on your mouth or STFU online

Don't expect any further answers. Life is too short to put up with people of your ilk. I am no longer able to see your posts......so rant to your hearts content.

Last edited by ShelaghDB on Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 5k 27" Retina iMac,

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:49 pm

ShelaghDetachedBrain wrote:

Go Fuck Yourself you silly little twat.

No one else appeared to have any problems.
You are the only one with the problem
Guest answered me correctly.

Take your attitude and shove it up your ass.
I am SO TIRED of people like you online.
Learn to have a filter on your mouth or STFU online
aren't you just the nicest thing... and here I thought canadians were nice, I guess you're not one of those that says "thank you" to ATM's...

Last edited by palerider on Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get OSCAR

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:27 pm

here, I'll toss you a bone... since you can't figure out whether your machine is on for the first hour and twenty minutes or so, *ZOOM IN*

zoom in on the flow chart for that time, until you can see your individual breaths, and the scroll to the right, and watch, see if you actually stop breathing for more than 10 seconds at any point, if you don't, then there's nothing for the machine to score.

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:31 pm

ShelaghDB wrote: What I DONT understand is that from the moment I slept UNTIL that huge spike there doesn't seem to be any action at all and i know thats wrong.
Up until 00:20, it look like perfectly normal CPAP treatment working properly and you had no apneas in that time period. The data indicates no big leaks, no loss in pressure, no big pauses or irregularities in breathing.

You have some flow limitiations, but I'm not really sure how meaningful that is. I don't understand that well what the scale means. A flow limitation is when the airflow rate is somewhat restricted. Think of it as being like breathing through a clogged nose or a drinking straw.

The graph doesn't show any loss of pressure and airflow into the mask. Sometimes you get used to the pressure and may think it's stopped. If you wake up enough to check, and feel like there's no air, put your hand in the air stream and see if air is still coming out. Consciously inhale and exhale and feel the air coming in and going out. If necessary, lift up the edge of the mask and feel the air blast out to convince yourself the air is flowing.

If you had knocked the plug out or done anything to shut it off, it should have shown up in the graph and it doesn't, except for one time at 00:20 where it was apparently turned off and back on. A pressure loss would show up. If the hose was blocked, the mask pressure line wouldn't have that fuzzy appearance.
ShelaghDB wrote:My AHI, event flags, and leak rate basically show NO action from sleep time till the huge spike...........theres no way i didn't have events in that time............im trying to figure out why nothing is showing................for whatever that is has likely to do with why i woke up with no air, i think it was........and at 4am again with no air or too much air, i am not sure which as i was asleep but i know something isn't right
I don't think you had any "apnea" events at that time. The machine looks like it's recording data correctly, and it shows no events.
ShelaghDB wrote:
also curious to know why they don't work with FF masks?
or, in order to make sure i havent mistakenly turned it off, what setting is it for that, does it say smartstart?
When you turn off the pressure on a FFM, the anti-asphyxia valve opens up and you breath air in and out through a big hole in the mask. Only part of the air goes down the long path through the hose, the humidifier, the blower, and the air filter. That airflow is what the machine senses to do the auto start.

Some air DOES go through the machine, even with a FFM. Sometimes it will start, sometimes, it won't. The newer S9 machines seem to do a lot better job of autostart than older S9 machines. My S9 machines are inconsistent on this. Sometimes, the start every time with a FFM, sometimes they won't start at all.

The menu option on the S9 is "smartstart." On the S9, smartstart is both auto on and auto off. It's easy enough to put on your nasal mask and try it.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

ShelaghDB

Post by ShelaghDB » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:17 am

The newer S9 machines seem to do a lot better job of autostart than older S9 machines. My S9 machines are inconsistent on this. Sometimes, the start every time with a FFM, sometimes they won't start at all.
Yes that is exactly whats happening with mine. Sometimes it automatically turns on and other times it doesn't. There is no way of predicting whether it will or won't.
Thanks for i didn't know that until Guest mentioned it earlier in the thread.

If you had knocked the plug out or done anything to shut it off, it should have shown up in the graph and it doesn't, except for one time at 00:20 where it was apparently turned off and back on. A pressure loss would show up. If the hose was blocked, the mask pressure line wouldn't have that fuzzy appearance.
Thanks for confirming that for me.

The night before that it happened twice.
The first time the machine suddenly turned off. Fortunately it had never happened before so it did wake me up immediately out of a deep sleep.
I had done something, perhaps moved quickly, I am not sure and I almost pulled it off the shelf it was sitting on.
Got up, placed it back on the shelf properly, made sure i hadn't hooked the hose up somehow sorted it out and turned it back on and went to sleep.
It happened a second time, hours later but that time i did not wake up.

It happened again last night.
This time I got up and took the plug out of the extension cord it was in, put it on the other side, moved my bed 2 inches and got the machine plugged in directly into the plug and it worked perfectly after that.

I understand you say that you can't see anything and that i can't seen to understand.

I think there was a problem with the extension cord.
I am familiar with the feeling of no air and i always pull my mask away from my face to make sure its still going but the air DID STOP.

It just shut down. The air DID stop. Theres no doubt of that. It suddenly stopped. Thats why you see that spike there at 12:20.
The air stopped abruptly. It woke me up immediately. With the air off I took off the mask. I then put the mask back on a few second later and the air started up again.
My feeling even if these charts aren't showing it, was that the extension cord wasn't good but I am not an expert on the subject of electricity.

When I got up this morning, i took that extension and I plugged a huge fan I have into it and ran the fan. About an hour in, the fan shut down and stopped.
There must have been something wrong with the extension cord.

In any event, once I moved the bed, took out the extension cord and plugged the machine directly into the wall, it didn't happen again.
But when you are so deep in sleep and these things happen, Im finding that i am never sure the next day if i dreamed it, or if it did happen.

The odd thing about the apneas is that any other night, I have had apneas in the early part but the 2 nights I have had the air shut off and the machine shut down, neither evening has had any events before the shutdown but other nights it has.

The overall lesson I am learning from this whole experience, which I am not happy to report is that one MUST live a VERY regimented routine at least an hour before bedtime and once in bed.
Any deviation from ones routine seems to end up creating problems with ones CPAP and I find that the nights that i do deviate, are the nights something goes wrong and I get a terrible sleep.
As long as i stick to routine and don't break from it one bit, everything goes well.

Thanks for your help.
My confusion was/is as to why if I KNOW it stopped, it isn't showing up in my charts. Unless its an electrical short and its happening so quickly the machine isn't registering it?
I think it might suddenly stop and then restart again within a couple of seconds. At least that is how it appears. I don't know if the machines are sensitive enough to record a quick break like that

 5k 27" Retina iMac,