Exhausted

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
englandsf

Re: Exhausted

Post by englandsf » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:33 pm

It's actually everywhere - I buy it at Walgreens (Amazon charges too much to ship). It was "invented" about 100+ years ago. They recommend some ridiculous levels of concentration and small amounts as a solvent but I add a small amount to the isotonic solution - I think the alum helps drying and the herbs smell nice.

JustTia

Post by JustTia » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:35 pm

Ingredients:

Purified Water USP , Menthol , Eucalyptol , Thymol , Camphor , Benzoin , Wintergreen Oil , Spearmint (Mentha Viridis) Oil , Pine Oil , Cinnamon Oil , Potassium Alum , Potassium Chlorate , Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda) , Sodium Chloride , Alcohol2/100 of 1% , Caramel Color

Whoa! That's some pretty strong stuff in there, lol! I made my own saline, which I'm good with, but I may add a drop of a couple of these essential oils to the solution (I made a concentrate that I then add to water each time). If that doesn't do the trick, I'll try the more expensive stuff. I'm a DIY (read: CHEAP) girl, where I can.

So, I did it. The hubs bought a waterpik sinusense several years ago, that I never used. He never used it after about 6 months, either. But then, he wasn't trying to improve his cpap therapy experience. So, anywho, I did it. Holy mother of God. That thing shoots water! The first side worked just as grossly and gloriously as I expected it would. Happy streams of yuck water pouring out of the opposite nostril. Then I switched to do the other side. Uh. Not sure why, but that side refused to drain right. The water kept trying to come back down the same nostril. Weird. Now, afterward, the first side feels nice and clear but the other side feels...not so much. But I survived, so I guess it's all good.

And you know what else? I never imagined I'd be talking about clearing my boogers or drooling in my sleep or any of that with a bunch of strangers some day. You guys are the best.

Board culture. Learn it. Embrace it.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:10 pm

englandsf wrote:It's actually everywhere - I buy it at Walgreens (Amazon charges too much to ship). It was "invented" about 100+ years ago. They recommend some ridiculous levels of concentration and small amounts as a solvent but I add a small amount to the isotonic solution - I think the alum helps drying and the herbs smell nice.
I'm trying to figure out if you're spelling it wrong, or if it's something other than what I've found onilne.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:20 pm

JustTia wrote: Weird. Now, afterward, the first side feels nice and clear but the other side feels...not so much. But I survived, so I guess it's all good.

And you know what else? I never imagined I'd be talking about clearing my boogers or drooling in my sleep or any of that with a bunch of strangers some day. You guys are the best.
I'll give you a weird one... I started out with a neti pot when I'd get sinus problems, making my own saline and stuff, and a friend found that neilmed squeeze bottle and liked it, so I figured I'd try one...

so, did so, instead of tipping my head over to the side and all like with a neti pot... ok, sure, why not....

then, later that day, I'm at work, and bend over to get something off a low shelf, and water runs outta one of my sinuses onto the floor... stuff pools in there if I don't turn my head sideways. *lol*

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:04 am

Tia - that's odd but it happens sometimes. I started with much lower pressure and worked up.

PR - yep, that's the spelling on the bottle - Alkolol - http://www.alkalolcompany.com. Odd but true. I, too get extra bonus drips in certain positions for up to a couple of hours after rinsing. So much fun at the gym...

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:05 am

englandsf wrote: PR - yep, that's the spelling on the bottle - Alkolol - http://www.alkalolcompany.com.
you keep typing alkOlol and then you link to alkAlol, which is it?

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:30 pm

You're right my spellchecker is changing it - how odd.

Apologies

robysue

Post by robysue » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:43 pm

shpanky wrote:I've been on the CPAP for about two weeks now. Using the Philips PR System One REMStar 60 Series BiPAP Auto with Bi-Flex with a large Quattro FX FFM at 17/13.

Things seem to start alright, I get to sleep (eventually), but then about 3-4am, there are leaks all over the place. Last night was the first time I pulled it off in frustration just to stop getting woken up by leaks both at the top of my nose and around my cheeks.
I'm going to comment on severalthings that nobody else has mentioned yet.

First: If you are using the ramp and your starting ramp pressures are much lower than your fixed pressures of 17/13, that may be part of the problem. You need to fit the mask at full pressure.

Next: Once we get into a very deep sleep our facial muscles relax. And that changes the shape of the face---particularly in the lower jaw area, and that can cause a FFM to start leaking.

Next: How sure are you that you are a dedicated mouth breather when you are asleep? If you only occasionally open your mouth for small periods of time, you may very well find a nasal mask or a nasal pillows mask will work better. If it turns out that you do have a problem with mouth leaks in a nasal mask or a nasal pillows mask, you can always add a chinstrap or try taping if the nasal or pillows style mask is more comfortable and the mouth leaks with a nasal pillows mask are less prone to waking you up than the mask leaks with your current FFM.

Finally: You write:
Things seem to start alright, I get to sleep (eventually),
How long is it taking you to get to sleep at the beginning of the night? And how uncomfortable are you during that time? This can be a serious source of stress for some newbies (it was for me), and if it is triggering stress and what feels like insomnia, you don't want to just ignore it in the hopes that it will go away.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:58 pm

englandsf wrote:You're right my spellchecker is changing it - how odd.

Apologies
tell your spell checker to quit trying to confuse me.... too many things out there that are almost spelled the same, but not quite for me to assume that what I was finding googling and what you were talking about were the same... I figured they *probably* were... but I've been wrong on that subject before.

shpanky

Post by shpanky » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:28 am

Just a follow-up. I noticed Resmed supplied me with a medium sized headband for my huge melon. I ordered a large one and wore it for the first time last night. My average leak rate went from about 2.7 to 0.43. I slept through the entire night with no leaks that I was aware of. It looks like the headband was just way too small and the mask was too high up on my face. I'm hoping this is the issue and I have no further problems, as I like the mask form factor. Thanks all for the advice....I will consider looking at the nose pillow models next but I do a significant amount of breathing through my mouth at night.