CPAP machines and enhanced airport security

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sir NoddinOff

Re: CPAP machines and enhanced airport security

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:41 am

friar wrote:If you are sitting next to someone who irritates you on a plane or train...

1. Quietly and calmly open up your laptop case.
2. Remove your laptop.
3. Boot it.
4. Make sure the person who won’t leave you alone can see the screen.
5. Open your browser to this message.
6. Close your eyes and tilt your head up to the sky.
7. Then hit this link: http://www.thecleverest.com/countdown.swf
Anyone who tries this be sure to let us know how it works... that is if they let you have an internet account at Leavenworth Penitentiary. Talk about terrorist threats, once when I was working at a large corporation, for a joke, I flashed something similar on a co-workers display monitor only it said: "TEN SECONDS TO HARD DISK REFORMAT". He (the victim) immediately came into my office with a heavy object and told me he'd beat my head in if I ever did that again. I'd installed the network, so he knew it was me. He was kind a a scary anarchist programmer dude anyway, so I took him seriously. Geez, no sense of humor, tho.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

friar

Post by friar » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:28 pm

Sir NoddinOff wrote: Geez, no sense of humor, tho.
precisely, no sence of humor.
That is what kills us today
Have a nice evening.
old Zorba there just sulked off into the Aegean, totally oblivious to the obvious.

RobertS975

Post by RobertS975 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:31 am

OK, flew yesterday Frankfurt-AMS-BOS... went through security in Frankfurt and again at the gate in AMS. Was not asked to power up anything at either checkpoint. The laptop had to go through security separately, but never had to take out my Kindle or CPAP machine. In Frankfurt, they did pull my computer case because it had a real lot of wires in it... my travel extension cord, the computer charger as well as the CPAP charger as well as a host of electrical outlet plug adapters.

But all in all, a complete non-event. They care more about a 6 oz. bottle of Dasani water than they do about all the electronics

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:11 am

They only question beverages brought through the checkpoint.
A vending machine by the gate awaits if you are thirsty.
Bring plenty of change.

xzombie

Post by xzombie » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:07 pm

Bumping for update:

I flew at least three trips in the last couple months (all domestic) where I put the machine in my carry-on luggage and ran it through normal xray (no seperate cpap bag). Never asked me to take it out or even open the suitcase. Didn't even ask m e about it or acknowledge it was there. That's 5 or 6 different airports (US).

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:11 pm

xzombie wrote:Bumping for update:

I flew at least three trips in the last couple months (all domestic) where I put the machine in my carry-on luggage and ran it through normal xray (no seperate cpap bag). Never asked me to take it out or even open the suitcase. Didn't even ask m e about it or acknowledge it was there. That's 5 or 6 different airports (US).
Pretty smooth you are.

Did I see you running across the lawn of the White House Friday?

Thewino

Post by Thewino » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:40 pm

Haaaaa!

Good one Granny!

Too funny.
The wino and I know the joy of the ocean... J. Buffett ***Please do not take any information from my post/s as medical advice. I am simply providing personal experiences. Thank you***

Ogeo

Post by Ogeo » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:58 am

I have a question about the airline carry-on related. If you use a separate bag for your medical device (which is allowed on airlines), what size does it have to be? I see they have changed the size of carry on luggage on several airlines to 22x14x9 and are being strict with it. Does your CPAP carry on have to follow these guidelines too? I couldn't find any info on airline websites about the size of medical equipment bag?

Hubby's equipment: PR System One REMstar Auto A-Flex model 560P. Doctor's orders left it open 5-20. We changed it to 8-20 after a couple nights. Start Date was 1/30/15. Oh, mask is the new nasal pico.

Discovering the world one geocache at a time!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:36 am

As the airlines often state: any carry on must fit under the seat or inside the overhead compartment.
The dimensional guidelines are useful to help estimating what will or will not fit--as well as a rule seldom broken.
Check in is a poor time to push boundaries.