CPAP machines and enhanced airport security

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RobertS975

Post by RobertS975 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:40 pm

OK, for a few weeks now, overseas airports in Europe, Asia and Africa have placed heightened security for USA bound flights including having to power up electronic devices. Not such an easy thing for a CPAP machine at a security checkpoint. Has anyone either personally experienced or heard of another having any issues with their machines given this new plan to make people power up their electronic devices.

Two trips in May and June, multiple airports (BUD,BEG,VIE,IST,FCO and ATH) only Athens made me take the machine out and xray it separately. But that was before the "enhanced security" that is currently in place.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: CPAP machines and enhanced airport security

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:36 pm

Just another of many reasons to drive, take the train, or just stay home.

hobbs

Post by hobbs » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:41 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Just another of many reasons to drive, take the train, or just stay home.
From Europe, Africa or Asia? Travel is good for the soul!

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:23 pm

Airport insecurity, a vain attempt to make the public feel safe, so they will spend cash to climb into a thin metal tube and be propelled 32,000 ft in the air, where the air is too thin to breath, and too cold to surive, not taking into account the fall back to the ground, and burning in the fuel if you live.

Add in pilots that can't operate the controls, Air traffic controllers that can't control the planes air space and the near misses that happen all to frequently.

Also there's the carbon footprint issue, good for uncessary travel, the rest of us will just sit in the cold and darkness of our homes, when the electric grid fails are because we aren't on welfare, can't pay out electric bills, due to coal mines being closed, and coal fired powerplants being closed by bureaucrats. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:18 am

Good point. I wonder if they're going to start requiring you to turn on your CPAP machine. Are they going to have electrical outlets at the security checkpoints?

You need to realize that American airport security is mostly security theater, not actual security. Let's make a big show for the sheeple to give them the illusion of security.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

49er

Post by 49er » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:10 am

archangle wrote:Good point. I wonder if they're going to start requiring you to turn on your CPAP machine. Are they going to have electrical outlets at the security checkpoints?

You need to realize that American airport security is mostly security theater, not actual security. Let's make a big show for the sheeple to give them the illusion of security.
Totally agree archangle.

I may be flying sometime this year and I am not looking forward to dealing with that hassle.

BlowingWithTheWind

Post by BlowingWithTheWind » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:35 am

Flew last week with CPAP. It was a domestic flight. Out of Chicago O'Hare, I told the security screener it was a CPAP and asked if I needed to take it out of the bag. He said that most screeners say yes, but go ahead and leave it in and send it thru. In Washington DC at Reagan Airport, they had me take it out. Overall was not too much of a hassle either way.

Here is what TSA says on their web site: CPAPs, BiPAPs, and APAPs are allowed through TSA security checkpoints once they have been screened. The passenger should inform an officer of the CPAP, BiPAP or APAP and any special requirements before the screening process begins.

All CPAPs, BiPAPs, and APAPs must be screened by X-ray. If the X-ray cannot see through all parts of the CPAP, BiPAP, or APAP, additional screening by X-ray or other methods may be required.

Passengers are required to remove CPAPs, BiPAPs, and APAPs from its carrying case, though facemasks and tubing can remain in the case. A passenger can provide a clear plastic bag in which to place the CPAP, BiPAP or APAP during X-ray screening; however, an officer may need to remove the CPAP, BiPAP or APAP from the bag to test it for traces of explosives.

49er

Post by 49er » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:39 am

Thanks, that is very helpful. Glad you didn't experience much of a hassle.

49er
BlowingWithTheWind wrote:Flew last week with CPAP. It was a domestic flight. Out of Chicago O'Hare, I told the security screener it was a CPAP and asked if I needed to take it out of the bag. He said that most screeners say yes, but go ahead and leave it in and send it thru. In Washington DC at Reagan Airport, they had me take it out. Overall was not too much of a hassle either way.

Here is what TSA says on their web site: CPAPs, BiPAPs, and APAPs are allowed through TSA security checkpoints once they have been screened. The passenger should inform an officer of the CPAP, BiPAP or APAP and any special requirements before the screening process begins.

All CPAPs, BiPAPs, and APAPs must be screened by X-ray. If the X-ray cannot see through all parts of the CPAP, BiPAP, or APAP, additional screening by X-ray or other methods may be required.

Passengers are required to remove CPAPs, BiPAPs, and APAPs from its carrying case, though facemasks and tubing can remain in the case. A passenger can provide a clear plastic bag in which to place the CPAP, BiPAP or APAP during X-ray screening; however, an officer may need to remove the CPAP, BiPAP or APAP from the bag to test it for traces of explosives.

RobertS975

Post by RobertS975 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:03 am

The power on requirement is mostly directed at overseas airports, not domestic ones. If they were indeed to ask for a power up, we would have to pull out our charger bricks and a plug adaptor. It would be fairly clumsy at a checkpoint since I pack my machine surrounded by clothes in the carry on to assure that the machine is padded.

Brian

Post by Brian » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:33 am

I fly weekly and have for the better part of 20 years. I've seen no difference with the "heightened" security.

I'm not sure why anyone would tell TSA about OSA.

You simply put your xPAP machine in a bin by itself. Leave your hoses, power supply, mask, etc in the case. Put the case on the belt separately.
They know what it is, they see many every day....
I've done it this way for years. I did it last week, I'll do again in a couple of hours.
I'm just a Regular Joe trying to make it in a big, bad, unfair world armed with nothing more than a fistful of unsubstantiated facts, a somewhat weak grasp of the English language, misplaced vengeance issues and some tired conspiracy theories.

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:53 am

You are missing the point, terrorists are disguising bombs as batteries. CPAP machines don't have one so they should not need to be powered on unlike a laptop, tablet or phone. The explosive charge looks like a battery in the X-Ray. That's the reason for extra security on flights to the US.

GordieK

Post by GordieK » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:37 am

I went through enhanced screening in J'Berg South Africa on July 5, which I believe was the second day of enhanced screening. At the departure gate there was a physical pat down of all passengers and an inspection of all carry on luggage. The screener did not appear to have any interest in the CPAP blower, but went through the case quite carefully. She felt under and around everything and either looked at and/or felt inside every compartment. The same routine was done with every carry on bag.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:47 pm

GordieK wrote:I went through enhanced screening in J'Berg South Africa on July 5, which I believe was the second day of enhanced screening. At the departure gate there was a physical pat down of all passengers and an inspection of all carry on luggage. The screener did not appear to have any interest in the CPAP blower, but went through the case quite carefully. She felt under and around everything and either looked at and/or felt inside every compartment. The same routine was done with every carry on bag.
Probably looking for diamonds, for her retirement program. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:56 pm

I try very hard not to assemble explosives in the bedroom.
Nitro causes headaches.
. . . and methane annoys the spouse.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:06 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I try very hard not to assemble explosives in the bedroom.
Nitro causes headaches.
. . . and methane annoys the spouse.
fun fact, methane is odorless... just leave out the hydrogen sulfide and you should be golden

kaBOOM!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.