Can I outgrow sleep apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MoneyGuy

Can I outgrow sleep apnea

Post by MoneyGuy » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:20 pm

Maybe outgrowing is the wrong word, but if I lose some weight what are my chances of not having sleep apnea? I was diagnosed over a year ago and I wear my mask every night and every nap although I don't like it. I'm a man aged 60.

Bons

Re: Can I outgrow sleep apnea

Post by Bons » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:26 pm

The odds of that aren't real high, unless you are talking about a pretty significant weight loss. Despite the stereotype, there are plenty of normal and even underweight people with sleep apnea. Usually it is do to lax muscles in the throat or other structural issues in the respiratory system. Part of my problem for example, is an over sized tongue.

If you have lost more than 25 pounds, your insurance company may spring for another sleep study at some point to see whether cpap is still medically necessary.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:01 pm

Your wish is not uncommon; many people make a living taking advantage of this hope.
This is not to say that there is no serious research going on in quest of a "cure", prevention,
or a happier treatment. Sadly, it is hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.
Folks our age may not see a proven alternative, but there is hope for the young 'uns;
provided the money is pointed the right direction.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:51 pm

Losing weight may be a good idea for many reasons. It might reduce you need for CPAP, but many people aren't cured or see no improvement. Even if you do get off CPAP now, apnea usually increases with age.

What problems are your having with CPAP? We might have some suggestions to make it more tolerable.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:08 pm

I believe it can be totally cured in less than 100 years or by loosing at lest 700 lbs.

On the other hand you can get used to sleeping with these great devices. You can also learn to fine tune them and optimize your therapy. There are times I have to check to be sure mine is on, even though my pressure can fluctuate from around 10 cm to over 24 cm.

Sleeper Agent

Post by Sleeper Agent » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:12 pm

It depends on whether your apnea is caused by excess weight. If it is, then losing weight will resolve your apnea.

Alternatively, the excess weight might be adding a few points to your AHI. Losing weight might shave off enough for you to be apnea-free.

Mine wasn't however. I am thin and very young. My upper airway is just too small.

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:40 pm

Well, I didn't have OSA when I was 50lbs lighter. Of course, I was 40 yrs younger, too.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

cuyahogaguy

Post by cuyahogaguy » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:02 pm

My midthroat collapses. For a while i was told it was the tongue but it varies.

An ideal weight is a good goal anway. Wouldnt count on it solving everything.

SleepyToo2

Post by SleepyToo2 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:22 pm

I have lost 20 lbs over the last 6 months or so. My AHI is trending a little lower, but I don't think it is low enough to consider switching off the machine. Some days, the gremlins get to me, and the AHI rises again to the level it was at before I lost weight. No guarantees of weight loss doing anything physically other than requiring you to tighten your belt a couple of notches, and improving your overall health. It cannot change the anatomy of your throat, and that plays a bigger role in your apnea.

Just a thought - I wonder if anyone has studied whether there is a connection between weight loss in the those who have low pressure needs and the ability to turn off the CPAP? Compared with those who have high pressure needs (more effort required to keep the airway open)...

Petrodon

Post by Petrodon » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:36 pm

My MD told me in no uncertain terms that weight loss will help me, but generally does not help those over 50. So you may be looking at PAP therapy for the remainder of your life. But, there is some hope. With time, more and more studies are seeing the overall health problems associated with OSA, and that there is likely a large number of people that are undiagnosed. To cut through the BS, that means there is enough will (and $) in the medical community to get more serious about it. PAP therapy is not that old (1980's I believe) my thinking is that someone will establish more suitable diagnostic criteria, an easier method of diagnosis and better therapy in the next 10-15 years. That's might not help everyone, but for now, we have PAP therapy and thankfully it works.

ShelaghDB

Post by ShelaghDB » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:01 pm

On the other hand I was expected to undergo a 6 month form of chemo for an illness I have that is life threatening but curable 100% with treatment.
As I was always only 115 pounds my sleep doctor new this and knew my weight gain was temporary and why.
Im losing it now because they have passed a new drug that is no longer harmful on the body as the first one is and i believe i start it as soon as Canada okays it which they believe will be before winter this year.

I was drinking 3 tins of Ensure Plus daily to gain extra weight

Long story short, because of this temporary weight gain and because the doctor knew it wasn't just a story and that i really would lose this weight Id never had before, he told me, even diagnosed with Severe Sleep Apnea that I most likely will not need the machine once i get the weight down to normal again.

So, who knows?
Personally I don't consider CPAP the end of the world and it really doesn't matter to me if i have to remain on it.
My brother in law is in perfect shape. Works out 3 hours daily and at 55 can put most 25 year olds to s hame and he was recently diagnosed with it, so there you go, not a bit of fat on him........and yet he's got it.

I am just over 50 now and as i said he believes i won't need it. In fact he asked me if i really wanted a machine as he figured after a few months on this id be fine and not need it

He's known as one of the top ones here in Toronto although i personally can't stand the man and doubt that at my age it would go away with weight loss but he was convinced it would

 5k 27" Retina iMac,
 MacBookPro 10.9.5 13" 2.53Ghz + 10.9.5 13" 2.4Ghz
 iPad 4 16Gig + 3G  iPhone 5 + One + One 64gig CyanogenMod Version
 Apple TV + Airport Extreme

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:22 pm

Many doctors subscribe to the notion that apnea is caused by obesity,
--just like they were taught 30 years ago, --or as their teachers were taught.
Continuing education seems to annoy them. They already know everything.

Bill44133

Post by Bill44133 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:56 pm

I have lost 30+ lbs in the last year.. it didn't do anything for my apnea.

I will say that I am moving better and feel better, but my apnea remains.

Additional Comments: Settings are IPap 23 EPap 19

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:32 pm

Many people are overweight and can benefit from weight loss. The downside if you have sleep apnea and lose weight you may live longer, so you will also have sleep apnea longer. That's my plan. Jim

To be miserable with Sleep Apnea, for as long as posiably.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

49er

Post by 49er » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:35 am

Does anyone know of any studies regarding this issue? If I remember correctly, there was one for people who had bariatric surgery in which around 40% of people were able to get off of the machine. But I would be curious if there was one for just plain old weight loss.

For what it is worth, there are two other relatives besides myself who are on pap therapy. Two of us are normal weight and the other person isn't.

Personally, I am getting tired of the biases in sleep physicians' offices that seem to think that only overweight people can have it. One sleep doctor was sure I didn't have it because of my normal weight.

At another sleep doctor's office, the tech measured my neck size which I questioned since I felt that was totally irrelevant in my case. He understood my concern but unfortunately, he had to follow procedure.

49er