Stuffy head and nose

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Re: Stuffy head and nose

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:00 am

Well hello neighbor, I am pretty close to you in the city of Brookpark. Ragweed is my worst allery and thanks for referring me to those bacteria filters. I have a question..... With a sinus infection can we still use our machines?

I set my humidity to 1 last night and the congestion is better this morning. Still there but much better. Will see how this goes. I guess it's all trial and error with this.

Chelle25

Post by Chelle25 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:07 am

Sorry about that. The guest post above was me. Not sure how I got logged out.

Mask: Mirage Quattro (full face)
Software: Philips Respironics sleepmapper

Bill44133

Post by Bill44133 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:11 am

Guest wrote:Well hello neighbor, I am pretty close to you in the city of Brookpark. Ragweed is my worst allery and thanks for referring me to those bacteria filters. I have a question..... With a sinus infection can we still use our machines?

I set my humidity to 1 last night and the congestion is better this morning. Still there but much better. Will see how this goes. I guess it's all trial and error with this.
Every one is different. Once I started using the filters.. I found that the setting of 1 was making me way to dry and making my sinus worse. I continued my therapy
even during the infection. I figured a stoke would be worse than a sinus infection.

I wish you well..

Additional Comments: Settings are IPap 23 EPap 19

knothead

Post by knothead » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:06 am

I see you use the resmed Quattro, same one I use and I had leaks around my eyes also. Finally went to the small size and fine tuned it...wala, no more leaks at the eyes.
Fine tune what u have...ie: tighten 1 or 2 clicks on top, loosen just a bit on the bottom, keep this tuning up till the top no longer leaks, u may have to tighten the bottom once the leaks stop. This helped me stop my leaks.
Also I have allergies, my dr just gave me a new medicine nasal spray called Dymista, I used all the others with NO success, this one works fantastic. Good luck with tuning and the stuffy nose.

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:57 am

I have had bad experiences using the flonase type spray before bed (makes me congested for about 30 mins after taking), or even rinsing within about 3 hours of going to bed. I now rinse first thing and at lunch time and spray first thing. My biggest revelation was to cut humidity (down to 2.5/6.0 on my ResMed) and turn off heat - and use cold, dry air to keep my sinuses clear. Now I get 6-7 hour sessions and over 8 hours on the mask. Hate coming off it on humid days.

Chelle25

Post by Chelle25 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:04 am

knothead wrote:I see you use the resmed Quattro, same one I use and I had leaks around my eyes also. Finally went to the small size and fine tuned it...wala, no more leaks at the eyes.
Fine tune what u have...ie: tighten 1 or 2 clicks on top, loosen just a bit on the bottom, keep this tuning up till the top no longer leaks, u may have to tighten the bottom once the leaks stop. This helped me stop my leaks.
Also I have allergies, my dr just gave me a new medicine nasal spray called Dymista, I used all the others with NO success, this one works fantastic. Good luck with tuning and the stuffy nose.

Yeah I've been tinkering with the knob on top and seems just when I get it right it's time for the weekly cleaning of the mask and it gets all screwed up again. You know I was wondering if my mask might be too big. Going to the doc in 2 weeks going to ask for a new mask.

Chelle25

Post by Chelle25 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:07 am

englandsf wrote:I have had bad experiences using the flonase type spray before bed (makes me congested for about 30 mins after taking), or even rinsing within about 3 hours of going to bed. I now rinse first thing and at lunch time and spray first thing. My biggest revelation was to cut humidity (down to 2.5/6.0 on my ResMed) and turn off heat - and use cold, dry air to keep my sinuses clear. Now I get 6-7 hour sessions and over 8 hours on the mask. Hate coming off it on humid days.

Last night I turned my humidity down to 1 and today I feel much better for it. Just have to get used to the cooler air verses the warmer air. Flonase seems to work wonders for me but I hate using it because it's a steroid.

Chelle25

Post by Chelle25 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:08 am

Bill44133 wrote:
Guest wrote:Well hello neighbor, I am pretty close to you in the city of Brookpark. Ragweed is my worst allery and thanks for referring me to those bacteria filters. I have a question..... With a sinus infection can we still use our machines?

Every one is different. Once I started using the filters.. I found that the setting of 1 was making me way to dry and making my sinus worse. I continued my therapy
even during the infection. I figured a stoke would be worse than a sinus infection.

I wish you well..

Thanks for that info!

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:26 am

Try Alkolol in your rinses too (tablespoon per 8 ozs, alum seems to help), and I had bad times with steroids right before bed time - I use them in the am now instead. No dining for at least 3 hours before bed either, and running the humidity way lower now...

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:53 am

Chelle25 wrote:Yeah I've been tinkering with the knob on top and seems just when I get it right it's time for the weekly cleaning of the mask and it gets all screwed up again. You know I was wondering if my mask might be too big. Going to the doc in 2 weeks going to ask for a new mask.
don't take it apart, just pop off the pad and wash that.

if you simply MUST disassemble the knob part, make note of the settings on the top first.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

knothead

Post by knothead » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:54 pm

palerider wrote:
Chelle25 wrote:Yeah I've been tinkering with the knob on top and seems just when I get it right it's time for the weekly cleaning of the mask and it gets all screwed up again. You know I was wondering if my mask might be too big. Going to the doc in 2 weeks going to ask for a new mask.
don't take it apart, just pop off the pad and wash that.

if you simply MUST disassemble the knob part, make note of the settings on the top first.
Yes, I just wipe the head pads with witch hazel to clean them, I take the face pad out to soak & clean. This way I keep my setting for my head gear...takes practice. You can tinker till u find the right mask & how to clean your way...

knothead

Post by knothead » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:03 pm

Chelle25 wrote:
knothead wrote:I see you use the resmed Quattro, same one I use and I had leaks around my eyes also. Finally went to the small size and fine tuned it...wala, no more leaks at the eyes.

Yeah I've been tinkering with the knob on top and seems just when I get it right it's time for the weekly cleaning of the mask and it gets all screwed up again. You know I was wondering if my mask might be too big. Going to the doc in 2 weeks going to ask for a new mask.
I would deff try a different size. I went from original Med FF(had more eye leakage), down to a Small FF, it fits just around my bottom lip & about 3/4 up my nose and no leaks, sleep like a baby...

Chelle25

Post by Chelle25 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:54 pm

Sounds like a plan. I'm in a medium now going to ask the therapist to let me try a small.

knothead

Post by knothead » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:33 pm

Chelle25 wrote:Sounds like a plan. I'm in a medium now going to ask the therapist to let me try a small.
You might try dinking around with the one you have, adjusting as I mentioned, who knows it may work for u, if not try the small...good luck

PS...I also sleep on my sides with no problems.

ProVega

Post by ProVega » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:34 pm

Chelle25

First some history. I have been on my VPAP machine for 7 months. I started with a large full face mask(FFM). Try as I did, I either had unacceptable leaks or pain from an excessively tight mask. After trying several other FFM ans sizes, I was introduced to the nasal pillow mask I am presently using. After some initial adjustments, it works extremely well.

Shortly after starting the use of the nasal pillow mask I developed the symptoms you describe. I can't describe the feeling any better then you did. I feel poorly most of the day. My hearing and taste are negatively affected too. My doctor thinks it might be an allergy and is treating me for it. I have tried some of the suggestions posted on this thread but, so far nothing is working.

Please post anything you find that helps. I will do the same.

Thank you,
Leo