My fight with aerophagia (air swallowing).

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: My fight with aerophagia (air swallowing).

Post by palerider » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:21 pm

Denial Dave wrote:Sinus rinsing isn't always the answer nor are nasal masks.

englandsf wrote:Full face masks definitely make it worse as does swallowing mucus during the night. Sinus rinsing can stop the a latter and get you onto nasal only mask instead.
well, they are if you're a one trick pony like englandsf, stick a garden hose in one nostril then blow dry your sinuses, solution to everything!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:59 am

Have you tried either? I tried six masks and several airflow improvement techniques (pillows/tape/positional etc) over a month before I got it comfortable for me...

I find the smaller lighter face gear very much easier and effective - and it gets me 7-8 hours a night at AHIs of under 1.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:11 am

englandsf wrote:Have you tried either? I tried six masks and several airflow improvement techniques (pillows/tape/positional etc) over a month before I got it comfortable for me...
yes, I have.

but your acting like you're the spokesman for neilmed here as the solution for everything is ... getting kind of stupid.

cpap blowing too hard? hose out your nose! flat tire? hose out your nose! mask too tight? hose out your nose!
englandsf wrote:Full face masks definitely make it worse as does swallowing mucus during the night.
do you actually know *anything* at all about what happens in a normally functing nose?

like, perhaps the fact that your nasal mucosa produce about a *liter* of mucus a day? where do you think that goes if it's not swallowed? swallowing mucus is *normal*.

read this before you keep pounding your drum: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread ... 291#pid291

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:33 am

Wow, I'm sorry you find my attempts to share experiences and help to be so "offensive".

I actually have a degree in biochemistry and have studied nasal membrane mucus and osmotic/isotonic/cilia effects at some length before devising my regime.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:10 am

englandsf wrote:Wow, I'm sorry you find my attempts to share experiences and help to be so "offensive".

I actually have a degree in biochemistry and have studied nasal membrane mucus and osmotic/isotonic/cilia effects at some length before devising my regime.
nope, not offensive, just oppressive.. your ocd wash out your face three times a day thing may be fine for you, for now, that's great, if it works for you, fine. but you pop in and tell everybody to do the same thing, without any consideration that other people have other circumstances and have different needs.

as to your degree, and great lengths of study, then why do you make comments that are patently wrong, like "swallowing mucus is bad", when it's a normal ongoing everyday thing?

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:27 am

Let's just disagree on how the first amendment works, eh?

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:36 am

englandsf wrote:Let's just disagree on how the first amendment works, eh?
oh my, something else you don't understand, eh?
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
first amendment... "Congress"... it has absolutely *nothing* to do with my pointing out your ignorance, or ocdness, or oppressiveness in your beating your drum for your one thing fixes everything do do with OSA.

or, indeed, anything at all to do with anything at all on this forum.

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:42 am

My first cyberbully attack on this board. Wow. They get everywhere.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:56 am

englandsf wrote:My first cyberbully attack on this board. Wow. They get everywhere.

I'm sorry I pointed out the erroneous aspects in your thinking. I'll slink off and lick my wounds now.

Sleeper Agent

Post by Sleeper Agent » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:22 pm

Update:

Took Gas X last night and that seems to make the aerophagia worse!

At pressure 7 and EPR 3, I usually sleep 7.5 hours, with memory of waking up 2~ time to create flatulence. But last night, my stomach was bloated and painful after 5.6 hours.

Next thing to try is pressure maybe pressure 6.5. At pressure 7, my AHI is great and I feel great if I get to sleep >7 hours during the night. Hopefully 6.5 works as well but eliminates the aerophagia.

P.S.
I am already regularly rinsing my nose with a Neil Med bottle ever since I had septoplasty.

Sleeper Agent

Post by Sleeper Agent » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:50 pm

Went down to pressure 6.6 (EPR still at 3). AHI still good at 1.5.

Surprisingly, woke up with a painful bloated stomach after 5.8 hours with the mask on!

Will try pressure 6 and EPR 3 tonight.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:26 pm

Sleeper Agent wrote:Went down to pressure 6.6 (EPR still at 3). AHI still good at 1.5.

Surprisingly, woke up with a painful bloated stomach after 5.8 hours with the mask on!

Will try pressure 6 and EPR 3 tonight.
Question,

Could you either list your events from the screen on the machine or ResScan Stats or graphs like these:

I am taking a guess that a pressure of 6 cm is too low for you and it only chokes you. I would try to set a maximum pressure of around 10 cm to 12 cm in CPAP mode, with EPR =3, and see how you feel. Ask your Therapist about it.

For the ingested air when I started CPAPing 4 years ago, I took Pepto- Bismol (caution: it colors the stools black).

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:48 pm

avi, are you the one playing the instrument or are you banging the sticks...?

Local concert?

Sleeper Agent

Post by Sleeper Agent » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:05 pm

avi123 wrote: I am taking a guess that a pressure of 6 cm is too low for you and it only chokes you. I would try to set a maximum pressure of around 10 cm to 12 cm in CPAP mode, with EPR =3, and see how you feel. Ask your Therapist about it.

For the ingested air when I started CPAPing 4 years ago, I took Pepto- Bismol (caution: it colors the stools black).
Do you mean APAP? Because my prescribed pressure is 9. And I went down to 8 and then 7 with my doctor's blessing, and 7 works great for me.

I am not posting graphs because at pressures of 7,8 or 9, as long as I sleep on my side, I get 0-2 obstructive events at night and I feel GREAT. My doctor and I agreed that I have obstructive apnea, which is very severe when I am on my back. Last night, at 6.6 pressure, I have 1 single obstructive event. I believe the AHI isn't 0 because a lot of false positive central apneas get recorded when I awake up at night.

Thanks for the advice about Pepto-Bismol! I will try that. I am trying pressure 6 (with EPR back to 2) tonight to see if it holds my airway open like 6.6. Everything is SUPER great except for this one problem!!!

Sleeper Agent

Post by Sleeper Agent » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:11 am

Pressure 6 and EPR 2 works!!!!! (AHI 1.8 )

Only a hint of aerophagia, with light burping and flatulence. Also, only 1 obstructive event during the whole night.

Weird clump of hyponeas during the first 1 hours of sleep however...not sure what those are since I have never had hyponeas ever.

The sleep was so good that I woke up after 5.5 hours and couldn't get back to sleep...and is now paying for it.