will my sleep Dr be mad?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jootee

will my sleep Dr be mad?

Post by jootee » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:02 pm

I have a one month rental on a cpap machine. The respatory therapist was supposed to keep in touch with me to see how I am doing but hasnt. During that time I have visited all cpap forums for advice. Through my research I have found the machine I wanted to purchase. The therapist quoted the machine as 2200.00 and I found I could get the exact same machine on line for 1300.00. My insurance will cover 2000.00. I decided to get the machine online and 2 masks for 1500.00 and I still have 500.00 left if I need other mask later. I have an appt to return my rental machine Monday and I will start using the machine I bought. Will my therapist tell me to get lost if I tell them I bought my own machine? Or can I expect they will give me advice on my self purchased machine?

49er

Re: will my sleep Dr be mad?

Post by 49er » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:05 am

jootee wrote:I have a one month rental on a cpap machine. The respatory therapist was supposed to keep in touch with me to see how I am doing but hasnt. During that time I have visited all cpap forums for advice. Through my research I have found the machine I wanted to purchase. The therapist quoted the machine as 2200.00 and I found I could get the exact same machine on line for 1300.00. My insurance will cover 2000.00. I decided to get the machine online and 2 masks for 1500.00 and I still have 500.00 left if I need other mask later. I have an appt to return my rental machine Monday and I will start using the machine I bought. Will my therapist tell me to get lost if I tell them I bought my own machine? Or can I expect they will give me advice on my self purchased machine?
If your sleep doctor gets mad and refuses to offer you help, you need to find someone else. It is your therapy and you have a right to do what you think is best, particular when it comes to costs.

49er

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:00 am

You haven't made clear whether the respiratory therapist works for the sleep doctor or for a DME.
If they work for a DME, it is likely they will tell you to get lost - you didn't buy from them and part of the added cost it this kind of service which you didn't get anyway.

If they work for the doctor, I would expect some level of service to continue although your expectations shouldn't be too high considering the first 30 days experience.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:47 am

The medical mafia is like the regular mafia. They don't like it when someone intrudes on their turf.

It depends on the doctor. The doctor may be mad simply because you're intruding on "our thing." That's the way the system trains him to act.

You may be lucky and he may actually be trying to work for the patient's benefit and will work with you.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:54 am

WHO CARES!
Unless you have seriously wierd problems you can get enough help on these forums to manage your own therapy.
If the doctor fires you, just say thank you.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:16 am

jootee wrote: I found I could get the exact same machine on line for 1300.00. My insurance will cover 2000.00.

And you are sure your insurance company will reimburse you for online purchase?

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:31 pm

I'm going to get on my soapbox here, and I am not meaning to pick on the OP or anyone else. But when I read the title of this thread, what I hear is "Will Daddy be mad?" I picture the OP cowering in the corner in fear. This is not unlike the other thread that is driving me nuts right now titled "Have you been caught changing your pressure." Again, what's Daddy going to do, spank you????

We all need to stop being frightened children and be adults. WE are the masters of our own life and WE are in charge of our health. Doctors and DME's are our employees, we pay them for their expertise (whether they deserve it or not) and their job is to help us, not RULE us.

When we hand the responsibility entirely over to the so-called professionals, we don't fare as well. That's why we are HERE. We learn about our condition, our treatment, and our options and WE steer the boat. I'm not saying that everyone has the knowledge and the skills to do this entirely without professional advice, and I am not saying that the better professionals are not helpful. But you quickly learn on this board there are a lot of bozos out there who know less than we do, or who could care less about OUR needs. Why should we hand over our power to THEM?

The era of doctor as god is OVER.

MY machine, MY pocketbook, MY health, MY life. Nobody cares for MY health as much as I do. And I will do what I think is best for ME. If a doctor, respiratory therapist, or DME doesn't like it they can go jump in the lake.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Cowboy Casey

Post by Cowboy Casey » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:47 pm

Janknitz wrote: The era of doctor as god is OVER.

MY machine, MY pocketbook, MY health, MY life. Nobody cares for MY health as much as I do. And I will do what I think is best for ME. If a doctor, respiratory therapist, or DME doesn't like it they can go jump in the lake.
I agree and have taken it a step further..... I have taken this stand with everything I do.... I am in control of whatever I am doing.. insurance, banks, doctors, DME, real estate, finance, grocery store, cars... you name it, If its something I am paying for....
PR System One REMstar 60 Series BiPAP Auto SV Advanced
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-60-series-bipap-autosv-advanced.html
Pilairo Q Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fp-pilairo-q-nasal-pillow-cpap-mask.html

Sclark08

Post by Sclark08 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:57 pm

Who cares? If he is mad find another Dr,

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:03 pm

Janknitz wrote:The era of doctor as god is OVER.
Yes, but the medical mafia sure is working hard to restore their godhood.

Most prescriptions are now one year only. "Need a refill on that life saving blood pressure medicine you've been taking for 10 years? Come pay for a doctor's visit where the doctor does nothing but ring the cash register. Maybe we'll run some expensive and unnecessary tests at the same time."

Then off course, we'll split the different medicines among different specialties so each doctor can ring the register on his unnecessary office visit and tests.

Broke your eyeglasses? Sorry, your prescription is only good for one year, gotta come in and get a new prescription. Wouldn't want you to get a bad prescription and hurt someone.

Buying masks online without a prescription? Shame, shame, you're dealing illegal drugs, gotta put a stop to that.

On medicare? Well, we're not taking new patients. You're stuck with the doctor you already have and if he decides to stop treating you, you may not be able to find a replacement in your area. Unhappy with your current doctor? Tough.

In the meanwhile, let's start requiring a medical certification for more and more things like driver's license so you have to make your regular payoffs to the medical mafia.

On CPAP with a fully data capable CPAP? Let's send you in for another $leep te$t or I won't sign off on your DMV medical exam or supplies.

Need CPAP supplies? Come in for an unnecessary office visit with the doctor who's too stupid or lazy to look at the data collected by your CPAP machine. He'll ask you a few questions that he could have asked by phone, not really listen to the answers, and then let you have your equipment.

If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:08 pm

archangle wrote:
Broke your eyeglasses? Sorry, your prescription is only good for one year, gotta come in and get a new prescription. Wouldn't want you to get a bad prescription and hurt someone.
just buy 'em online, *way* cheaper, just as good, fill in your own rx, (hopefully you got a copy from the last time your eyes were checked)

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:12 pm

palerider wrote:
archangle wrote:
just buy 'em online, *way* cheaper, just as good, fill in your own rx, (hopefully you got a copy from the last time your eyes were checked)
Been there, done that. $30 dollars at zenni vs. 700 at the eye doctor's captive optician.

Shhh... about the eyeglasses prescription and purchasing out of state. The medical mafia enforcers will wake up and put a stop to it.

Useful Links.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:18 pm

Yeah, those online eyeglasses might be DANGEROUS!

(About as dangerous as CPAP unless it falls on your head!).
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:56 pm

will my sleep Dr be mad?
Your sleep doctor's sanity or madness is between him/her and their psychiatrist.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

poppi2

Post by poppi2 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:53 pm

Janknitz wrote:.....The era of doctor as god is OVER....
When I was first married, my bride's father had emergency surgery. After the first room visit by the doctor, my MIL told us (really addressed to me) that one should stand in the presence of the doctor. Times have changed in the last 46 years.