AHIs through the roof and feel like heck

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
nmbugs

AHIs through the roof and feel like heck

Post by nmbugs » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:04 pm

The last two nights for whatever reason have been really bad. I have had really bad leg pain and wonder if that can affect my sleep too. I haven't taken any additional meds for it, just what I take daily so I know it isn't that causing it.

On Monday it was 11.67 and on Tuesday 7.98 both night the events were back to back in a tight period of time and I woke up feel like I was suffocating again, which had not happened since I switched to the bipap

Most nights are pretty good and under 4 AHI. On the 3 other nights where they are 7-8 AHI are all nights where I am having really bad leg pain. My husband wonders if this is all neurologically connected. Years ago it was suspected that I had MS but I didn't have one lesion and one oligoclonal band short of a diagnosis and so I was give the fibro label. I was supposed to have enough CF draw years ago but my last was such a bad experience (spinal leak) that I never went back for a repeat. Plus I am really sick of all these dang docs!

I did go for my follow up bubble study which I am happy to report the shunting has stopped!! No bubbles!! I did get to see my new friend who is stopping this shunting and was shocked how big it is (I feel I should give it a dang name). 25mm occluder disc which I just confirmed with the operative report. I thought once this shunting stopped I wouldn't be having so many issues. Granted I feel a TON better. No more head splitting migraines (knock on wood) and I am able to exercise without feeling like my chest is going to explode and pass out. I still haven't been able to shake the oxygen either. Every time I try my pulse goes nuts and when my heart finally says I need a break and my pulse drops so does my oxygen. Still having the dang edema too

So I guess my question is anyone here with neuro issues and if so what does that do to your apneas? I am having a mix of centrals, apneas and hypopneas.

Sorry for the vent. Sludge if you see this and have any thoughts I would appreciate it. Let me know what data you need

Thanks in advance.

Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV w/ humidifier and climate line tubing w/ 2L O2. Just restarted therapy after stopping bipap for 1 yr due to complications w/ increased centrals

LSAT

Re: AHIs through the roof and feel like heck

Post by LSAT » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:26 pm

If you are having lots of leg pain, you are not sleeping well. You most likely have lots of CAs on those nights.

Sclark08

Post by Sclark08 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:00 pm

Have you talked to your DR about Restless Leg Syndrome?

RLS will cause you terrible leg pain. I know because I have it. Get it checked out. Thete are meds to relieve the pain you take them at night so you get a good sleep and the one I take Gabapentin does not depress your breathing which is something us hose heads have to be careful about!

Country4ever

Post by Country4ever » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:27 pm

I can get horrible leg pain from having bad knees. How are your knees? There are easy knee strengthening exercises that can help alot.
I take tylenol at bedtime and it helps alot too.
Funny thing is, though, if I'm sleeping really well and don't move......then my legs hurt alot more. It's a balancing act I guess.

Soundsleepservices

Post by Soundsleepservices » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:28 pm

Central apneas are complicated. Usually you have three options: live with it, have your BiPAP set to auto or get a more expensive machine (ASV - specifically designed for the treatment of central apneas). Central apneas aren't understood very well by most physicians and are correlated with several factors: congestive heart failure, traumatic brain injury, pain meds and COPD are a few. Your leg problems could be a result of a simple chemical imbalance in your blood. Traditional medicine oftentimes does not seek out these particular imbalances however a naturopath does. The tests are cheap, simple and painless (spitting in a cup a couple times a day and bring it all back the next day). They often treat the problem with natural supplements with astonishing results.

Get rid of the underlying cause and maybe your problems will become simplified.

Good luck and I wish you well.

nmbugs

Post by nmbugs » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:10 pm

Soundsleepservices wrote:Central apneas are complicated. Usually you have three options: live with it, have your BiPAP set to auto or get a more expensive machine (ASV - specifically designed for the treatment of central apneas). Central apneas aren't understood very well by most physicians and are correlated with several factors: congestive heart failure, traumatic brain injury, pain meds and COPD are a few. Your leg problems could be a result of a simple chemical imbalance in your blood. Traditional medicine oftentimes does not seek out these particular imbalances however a naturopath does. The tests are cheap, simple and painless (spitting in a cup a couple times a day and bring it all back the next day). They often treat the problem with natural supplements with astonishing results.

Get rid of the underlying cause and maybe your problems will become simplified.

Good luck and I wish you well.
Thanks so much for all the info. I have congestive heart failure and on fluid restriction, water pills and plavix, aspirin and cartia XT. I wonder if the nights I have the high amount of centrals, if those are the days I go over on my fluid. I am usually pretty good about keeping it at 64 ounces but 2x's a week I treat myself to a sonic RT44 rootbeer. In addition to my water I go way over my water limit and pay for it with swollen ankle/leg and the next day playing bathroom jockey. I know I shouldn't but....heck I have no excuse!! I will start keeping a log on my fluid and see if those are the days where have more apneas. Now CHF, does that only affect centrals or does it also cause more obstructive apneas as well?

Thanks again!!
PS. I have to go for some scan next week for a blood clot from my heart cath. I had a bad bleed after the surgery and developed a lump which I thought went away. Docs just thought it was from the trauma/bleed but now that lump has moved, not gone away. Just waiting for the doc in Denver to tell the doc here whether he wants a sono or CTA runoff. I wonder if a clot could cause any of these changes?

Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV w/ humidifier and climate line tubing w/ 2L O2. Just restarted therapy after stopping bipap for 1 yr due to complications w/ increased centrals

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:33 pm

Centrals are a neurological problem, not of cardiac or hematologic origin. While your apnea might have contributed a lot to your cardiac status, centrals are about the brain not kicking in when it should, though it could turn out, I suppose, at some future time, to be related to e.g. lack of blood perfusion in the brain due to poor circulation... but so far, that connection hasn't been made.
Last edited by Julie on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:06 pm

nmbugs wrote: Thanks so much for all the info. I have congestive heart failure and on fluid restriction, water pills and plavix, aspirin and cartia XT
I'm dealing with someone who has CHF, so I keep an eye out for related subjects, I saw this recently:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 071414.php

make sure you're keeping your potassium up!

(not saying it has anything to do with sleeping, though)

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

DavidCarolina

Post by DavidCarolina » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:10 am

Have you run tests for clots?

Do you possibly have some periodic paralysis, and need potassium, electrolytes?

Is there blood pooling going on and dysautonomic issues?

Have you had titration?

tmr

Post by tmr » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:05 am

nmbugs wrote:both night the events were back to back in a tight period of time
Could it be awake breathing falsely marked as apnea ? Machine cant tell the difference.