Air blowing on wife at night

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SayHelloForMe

Air blowing on wife at night

Post by SayHelloForMe » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:30 am

I need some advice on how to stop air blowing on my wife as we sleep. My mask is the Resmed mirage quattro. The exhaust on the mask blows air ( which is normal ) but the problem is my wife cant sleep well with air blowing on her. I am thinking about improvising the mask ..... Does anyone know of a mask the does not blow air the way the quattro does ? ANY mask ?
If any of you have had the same problem as I am having, please let me know what you did to solve it. THANK YOU !!

SayHelloForMe

Daydream Believer

Re: Air blowing on wife at night

Post by Daydream Believer » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:48 am

Don't make changes to the mask exhaust. The exhaust is how the CO2 escapes with your exhalation. There are masks that direct the exhaust in different directions... but if you're doing well with this mask better to stay with it.

Maybe a change in both of your sleeping positions while you're both falling asleep would help?

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:56 am

I don't use this mask but the pictures seem to show the mask vent on the front of the mask.
If that is the way the vent air flows, it sounds as if you two are cuddling and a reversal of positions would make the air flow go away from your wife.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:03 am

I use the Mirage Quattro on occasion, and this mask tends to blow LESS air than other masks. Give it time and try not to sleep on the side the wife is laying. Never mess with the mask vent(s). You'll end up not waking up one morning!

Sheriff

SayHelloForMe

Post by SayHelloForMe » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:06 am

You are right about the co coming from the exhaust and my thought would be to use silicon to direct the exhaust up and not straight out without impeding any natural air flow. The big problem with this is silicon is soft and if I roll over in the night, SMASH !!
I really would like to get a new mask that does not have the exhaust in the same area as the Quattro. I would even consider a nasal mask and not a full face mask.
After being married for 25 years, we have this routine for the first 30 mins. We turn 3 different positions before we fall asleep. My final position is on my right side so the air blows away from her but if I awake, I will turn over to hold on to her without thinking about the air blowing. I think I need a different mask. Any suggestions ?

SayHelloForMe

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:14 am

In terms of the "any" mask request...unless you are absolutely tied to the full face mask you might look at the
F & P Eson nasal cushion mask or the ResMed AirFit P10 nasal pillow mask or the F & P Pilairo Q nasal pillow mask

The Eson
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fisher ... -mask.html
It has a diffuser for the vent flow..called the Q cover
and the Pilairo offers the same thing
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fp-pil ... -mask.html

The ResMed AirFit P10 nasal pillow has a system of little holes that diffuse the air flow...this one I have personally used and unless my hand is about an inch from the holes I can't feel the air...don't hear it either. Been using it since Jan this year.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... dgear.html

I don't know about full face masks with diffused venting built into the design like these above. I also have never used a full face mask so I can't comment on which model might be a little less annoying in terms of vent flow but if you are looking at changing mask models...those above were designed with the annoying air flow in mind and the reduction is significant.

If you absolutely cannot breathe through your nose during the night due to chronic severe nasal congestion issues then you have to mouth breathe and a full face mask is your only option. If you can breathe through your nose just fine most of the time then you might do well with a nasal mask of some sort. If you are mouth breathing out of habit..habits can be broken or dealt with. If you are mouth breathing from a physical need then you are pretty much stuck with FFM.

If stuck with FFM you might look for one that has the vent holes in a different place...seems like there was one that had the holes up nearer the top so the vented air went upwards and not horizontally. I don't remember which one though.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Bobby269

Post by Bobby269 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:15 am

Take a look at the ResMed AirFit masks. There are 3 different F10, P10 and N10. The air coming out of the vent is more diffused. https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... dgear.html

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:24 am

Take a look at my mask (click on the link in my sig.) as the vent is higher up on the mask, though I have no idea if it would help your wife... Some people a few years ago rigged diverter shields (little re-aimer things) but I don't know how they did it or using what materials.

SayHelloForMe

Post by SayHelloForMe » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:29 am

Thanks Sheriff ,JDS,Daydream !! JDS74, I think i need to try that. In the past, I did not like it when she cuddled with me because it was harder for me to sleep. If I relearned how to sleep on cpap, I'm sure I can relearn how to sleep with my wife. She has been on the couch for 6 months now but last night she came to bed with me, YEAH !! She was only in there for 3 hours but said she sleep well.
I have been on cpap for 1 year and it seems that this cpap machine is a 3nd person in my bedroom !! I know this is another factor why some stop using therapy but from all the great benefits I have received from cpap, quitting is not an option for me. Hopefully in time, this dilemma will vanish.

SayHelloForMe

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:39 am

SayHelloForMe wrote:I need some advice on how to stop air blowing on my wife as we sleep. My mask is the Resmed mirage quattro. The exhaust on the mask blows air ( which is normal ) but the problem is my wife cant sleep well with air blowing on her. I am thinking about improvising the mask ..... Does anyone know of a mask the does not blow air the way the quattro does ? ANY mask ?
If any of you have had the same problem as I am having, please let me know what you did to solve it. THANK YOU !!
I got a piliaro nose thingy yesterday and it's came with an optional clip on diffuser installed over the vent holes.

it's just a little pad of something that looks like filter material. I've also got a mirage quattro, and I've often thought of making something like that for the mirage, now that I've seen what they did with the piliaro, I'm even more interested in making a diffuser, as long as you don't block the venting, it would probably be ok

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

The Choker

Post by The Choker » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:39 am

last night she came to bed with me, YEAH !! She was only in there for 3 hours
Three hours? You da man!
T.C.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:43 am

Pugsy wrote:If you absolutely cannot breathe through your nose during the night due to chronic severe nasal congestion issues then you have to mouth breathe and a full face mask is your only option.
Pugsy, I'm so disappointed remember the Oracle 2 mask. I don't jump in with it as a recommendation unless the person can't breathe through their nose at night and cannot tolerate a FFM. But it would absolutely solve the air blowing problem.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:48 am

JDS74 wrote:Pugsy, I'm so disappointed remember the Oracle 2 mask. I don't jump in with it as a recommendation unless the person can't breathe through their nose at night and cannot tolerate a FFM. But it would absolutely solve the air blowing problem.
So sorry...I stand corrected...there is one additional option and would be an option if the nose is totally useless.
I simply forget about the Oracle because it just always slips my mind. In my mind it sort of goes along with the other mask of last resort that covers the eyes (which I tried for 5 seconds and promptly bowed down in awe to Sheriff for using it all these years successfully )

I would be in a world of hurt if my nose was useless in more ways than one.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

SayHelloForMe

Post by SayHelloForMe » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:51 am

Thanks Pugsy. I will check out that info. A mask that diverts air flow vertical and not horizontal is a fantastic solution.
My doctor wanted me to use a nasal mask first but I already knew if I get a cold ...... Also the sleep lab said I started snoring just a "little bit" before they awakened me from rest ( I was using the nasal mask in the sleep lab)
Julie, I'll take a look at that, thanks !!
Bobby, thanks, that does look interesting.
Seems like there are many types of mask that diverts air flow vertically. Decisions,Decisions ....

SayHelloForMe

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:23 am

The forum's sponsor is a good place to do some "window shopping" https://www.cpap.com/cpap-masks/full-face-cpap-mask.php

The manufacturers' descriptions and photos are there.