Air blowing on wife at night

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Day_Dreamer

Re: Air blowing on wife at night

Post by Day_Dreamer » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:32 am

Mirage FX has a diffuser in the exhaust vent (designed to reduce the air flow on bed mate)

Should fit the bill

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:22 pm

One mast that the others have not mentioned, probably because so many have issues with getting a good fit, is the Sleepweaver Anew cloth mask. People either love it and will not go back to a hard mask or they have leakage/fit issues and hate it. I am one of the former.

The vent holes on the Anew are located on the sides of the mask, are very numerous and are so small that I cannot feel or hear the air escaping even when I put my finger over the holes on one side or the other.

I should also add that for many years I was the recipient of the "gale" of air from my wife's mask. During cold nights I would often be forced to pull the blanket over my head to get relief from the cold draft she directed at me. Part of my original rational for changing from a Quattro FX to the Anew was a desire to avoid returning the favor to her.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:05 pm

During cold nights I would often be forced to pull the blanket over my head to get relief from the cold draft she directed at me.
And you did not have the courtesy to buy her a heated hose and heated humidifier for Christmas?

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:23 pm

ChicagoGranny, her machine in those days did not have or even offer a heated hose option. As for the humidifier, she refuses to turn on the heat to the one she currently has (but she does keep it filled with water). I don't understand it, but I am definitely not going to question her choice, especially since the cold draft ended when she switched to a nasal cannula setup that doesn't need vents.

Besides, I wasn't a PAPer at the time, so I had no idea of what the options were for her equipment, that was between her and her DME. All I knew was that the machine stopped her snoring and got rid her extended apneas.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:31 pm

Male excuses, male excuses. lol

But there is some hope for you,
I am definitely not going to question her choice

photonic

Post by photonic » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:27 pm

My God I think I might actually be able to post something useful. I was just retitrated for an ASV machine due to severe centrals and they tried a new FFM on me that did not hurt my nose at all AND had a very different venting system. It did not blow air out the front but had multiple small vents right around the connection of the hose to the mask. If anything, it blows some air on YOU and perhaps your hands and arms if you have them up around your face. This may solve your problem. It was the ResMed's Quattro™ Air Full Face Mask with Headgear. They note that it has CIRCULAR diffused air venting. This is true - it was very diffused. The specs say; "The circular vent is designed to gently diffuse air away from the user and bed partners."

Problem solved??? Good luck.

I get my PR ASV machine on the 15th. Wish ME luck.
ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV
8 years with F&P Oracle mouth mask now changing to
F&P Evora Full with S-M size
Hozer hose management device (a miracle!)
OSCAR software

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:51 pm

photonic wrote: I get my PR ASV machine on the 15th. Wish ME luck.
good luck, however, I think that Sleep2Die4 said you don't exist.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

photonic

Post by photonic » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:44 pm

Ah, I see what you mean. Yep, I do exist; I am in my 50's and had severe central apneas on BiPAP and scared my sleep doc (neurologist with sleep fellowship). I "seemed" to do OK with the ASV machine and was told that I did not deoxygenate on it so we shall see......
ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV
OSCAR software

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:09 pm

photonic wrote:Ah, I see what you mean. Yep, I do exist; I am in my 50's and had severe central apneas on BiPAP and scared my sleep doc (neurologist with sleep fellowship). I "seemed" to do OK with the ASV machine and was told that I did not deoxygenate on it so we shall see......
you can pick up a decent oximeter for 50$ at amazon, the cms50d+ NOT the cms50d... or for 90ish, you can get a quite nice wrist mounted rechargable unit that has a clock in it to timestamp the sessions, and records multiple sessions.. cms50I on alibaba.

then you can *know* whether you're keeping your O2 levels up at night

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

photonic

Post by photonic » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:15 pm

Nice advice! Thanks.

I hope this model mask will work for SayHelloForMe
ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV
OSCAR software

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:26 pm

photonic wrote: I hope this model mask will work for SayHelloForMe
eh?

I've a friend who's on an ASV and uses the quattro air, he likes it.

he also ended up having to get an oxygen concentrator because even with the asv going, he was dropping into the mid to low 80%s for long periods.

now on 2lpm and watching it now and then with the cms50i

Captain_Midnight

Post by Captain_Midnight » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:56 pm

A very lightweight cloth draped over the mask (especially including the ex-current ports on your mask) might solve the issue.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:33 pm

Captain M, I would NOT put anything over the mask,
but one could try arranging the bedding to make a dam to deflect airflow away from the bed partner.
I found this to be effective without the hazard of possibly blocking the mask flush.

Captain_Midnight

Post by Captain_Midnight » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:01 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Captain M, I would NOT put anything over the mask,
but one could try arranging the bedding to make a dam to deflect airflow away from the bed partner.
I found this to be effective without the hazard of possibly blocking the mask flush.
Quite good advice.

That said, my habit is to either lay (loosely) a very light cloth, or lightly fold (again, very loosely) the end of an over-long pillow slip over the mask area to include excurrent ports, in order to essentially re-direct the airflow and keep it from bugging me. And, I've noticed that this does attenuate the sound a bit.

The cloth seems to nicely disburse the airflow jet without changing the flowrate.

Interestingly, with all the various products available for us xpappian folks, I'm surprised that I haven't seen a product that is designed to disburse or re-direct the excurrent airflow.

knothead

Post by knothead » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:31 am

This was my problem also...thus the name Knothead. lol. I use a Resmed Mirage Quattro which blows on the wife, I tried a Quattro Air, it blows to the sides more but couldnt stop the leaks so now we just face away from each other, once sleeping she turns where she wants to and no problem. It takes time to get used to the system but once u get things ironed out its all good. Happy sleeping...