Uvula removal

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
billgamble

Uvula removal

Post by billgamble » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:18 pm

I thought I had post nasal drip and my PCP couldn't find anything wrong and referred me to an ENT. The ENT said that I have an elongated uvula that was probably caused by many years of snoring and that was the source of what I thought was post nasal drip. It doesn't happen all of the time but I am actually swallowing the end of my uvula which feels like post nasal drip. I am on a CPAP for sleep apnea and that is going well. Just wondering if anyone has had their uvula removed for the reason I stated above or to reduce snoring. My ENT told me I could either live with it or have it removed although he did warn me that there was a lot of pain involved in the throat after the surgery. He said it usually takes about three weeks to recover fully from it and again warned me that it was quite painful. He told me the decision was up to me and that I should take some time to think about it. Help me out here please, has anyone had this done or know anyone that has had it done and what are the pros and the cons. As always, thank you in advance for your help!!!!

Pugsy

Re: Uvula removal

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:41 pm

Google "uvula removal side effects" and start reading.

I pulled this one for fun but there were a lot of others
http://uvularemoval.blogspot.com/

Aside from the pain....eating or drinking stuff can go flying out your nose at anytime and beyond your control....speech can be affected also as the uvula is used for certain sounds when speaking.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Nozzelnut

Post by Nozzelnut » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:40 pm

I had my tonsils and elongated uvula removed May 5th (basically a UPPP with very little removed from the soft palate.) My tonsils were chronically inflamed/infected and my uvula was very long; almost touching the back of my tongue; probably from years of untreated snoring and OSA.

I will say that it was a solid 10 days to 2 weeks of significant pain. Probably the most painful days were 2-3-4 and 7-8-9 of recovery. Pain meds would barely take the edge off. I struggled getting 400 calories a day for the first week to 10 days. Drinking water was a challenge. Meal replacement shakes hurt. I probably lost close to 20 pounds in 2 weeks.

Towards the end of week 3, things started to get better. Eating was closer to normal. I still had some swelling week 4 and 5.

I wanted to eliminate sources of inflammation/infection and I did, but... I was hesitant about touching the uvula and soft palate because of the other issues I've read about on message boards. I told my surgeon about my concerns of swallowing liquids and such. I don't have any problems swallowing liquids, but I have had a sleight difference in pronunciation of some words or sounds; not enough for anyone else to notice.

My xPAP therapy results since surgery: pressure highs last about 20-30 minutes instead of hours now. The highs are 2cm/h2o less than before; on average. I will have one night a month that my pressure will spike to max (17) for about 10 minutes. Average highs before were 14-15 now 11-12. They're more mountain shaped instead of plateaus. So improved yes; eliminated the need for xPAP? Not even close.

Would I do it again? I would get the tonsils out definitely; however I think I would only get the uvula trimmed to a "normal" length, not removed. I wouldn't have the soft my soft palate touched. I did get most sources of inflammation removed so that's a good thing. PM me if you have any more questions.

Dov Ber

Post by Dov Ber » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:19 pm

I had my uvula removed as part of a UPPP, when I couldn't tolerate CPAP therapy the first time I tried it. In terms of healing, I couldn't really isolate which pain was from the 'U' portion from which was caused by the tonsils or other bits, but it was a fairly painful recovery. Though the worst of it was over in the first week. Long term negative side effects have been pretty minimal. I do occasionally (maybe two or three times a year) have something I'm drinking shoot up my nose, from coughing or if i have to inhale sharply while I'm swallowing. I definitely aspirate liquid more often - the 'going down the wrong pipe' thing - though that maybe have more to do with the pharnyx portion being removed than the uvula. And I do speak a language that typically uses a uvular 'r' sound, but I've been able to develop a workaround, basically making a velar 'r' instead. It's definitely not my primary language, so I wasn't too concerned. Otherwise, it's been just fine, and it did improve my apnea for awhile there, though I ultimately did have to try the CPAP again. I think the at least some of the reason for why I can tolerate the mask at least somewhat now, where I couldn't at all before, is because of the UPPP. So, I don't regret it.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:40 pm

Dov, but you can't pronounce Chanukah the correct way,
חנוכה , when the Ch coming from the throat.

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:02 pm

Do or not do; it is your choice.
Just make sure you have a very experienced, competent surgeon,
and do not be afraid to say, "cut less" or, "one procedure at a time".
They can always cut more, putting back--not happening.

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kteague

Post by kteague » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:38 am

I've known some people who have had their uvula removed, but have not had it done myself. Don't know how long you've successfully been on CPAP, but if it's only been a few weeks, I'd suggest you give it some time to make sure swelling from inflammation isn't a problem that will resolve over time. One doctor advised me there was too much tissue way back when those surgeries were still fairly new. When I started CPAP my mouth felt very crowded and full. My tongue was huge. Over time that changed without any surgery or other treatments that would affect it. I can only guess it was swelling from inflammation. Doctors in more recent years have looked in my mouth and expressed no concerns. One other thing in my history is for a while I felt like something was stuck in the back of my throat and felt a constant need to swallow. I too thought it felt like sinus drainage. To the best of my memory, this was along the same time frame. An ENT doc scoped my sinuses and throat and said I had GERD. Took meds for a while and tried other self-help means for treating reflux and began using CPAP. After a while didn't need the meds any longer. I wouldn't be in a hurry for surgery until you're sure your sensations aren't resolvable without surgery.

billgamble

Post by billgamble » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:44 am

Thanks for your responses. My ENT did mention that he would only remove enough of my uvula to bring it back to a normal size thereby not having the speech and blowback issues that some of you have mentioned. He said I was too old to have my tonsils out and that it would do more harm than good. I can handle the post nasal drip feeling and unless it gets worse will probably hold off on the surgery. Thanks to all of you for your responses!

Luthie2006

Post by Luthie2006 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:09 pm

I would wait too. I have a very small neck size, but my ENT and dentist said that I have a huge tongue with such a little child-like jaw, mainly from having orthodontics and having 4 good bicuspids removed for the braces to make it easier for them to get braces on me. My ENT cannot even see my uvula when I open my mouth. But I will never have surgery on that ever. I have heard too many bad stories but maybe it does help for some people. I have even heard of tongue reduction, something I would not consider either. I feel these are drastic measures and maybe give the CPAP awhile to see if that works for you

codinqueen

Post by codinqueen » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:14 pm

I had UPPP,Tonsillectomy with Adenoidectomy and multiple endoscopic sinusectomies all done in one operation back in Feb 2002 because I couldn't tolerate CPAP back then either, and had constant sinus and tonsil infections. I was 51 then, and it was rough. It was very painful and I couldn't eat solid food for about 3 weeks, lived on soups,ice cream and milkshakes till I could swallow less uncomfortably. I choke more often now than I ever did before, can't eat popcorn anymore because it goes up my nose and chokes me, and liquids are hard to swallow and often go up my nose or cause me to choke. I am sorry now that I had it done. It helped my sleep apnea and did away with snoring for about 6 months, and then no more benefit. I went without CPAP till about 2011 or 2012, which was the second time I was diagnosed. The masks & machines back in the 90s left a lot to be desired. I have an S9 with humidifier and Climateline hose now and use a Nuance Pro or a Swift Fx mask now, and have gotten used to CPAP, actually took to it like a duck takes to water with the help of members on this board. If I had waited to do the UPPP, it wouldn't have been a bad idea, but I just wasn't thinking well with my sleep being so fractured back then, all I wanted was to get well.

If I had not had it done and a Dr tell me to remove my uvula now, I would refuse to let a surgeon take the whole uvula. The tonsils & adenoids had to go, as did the sinuses, but the uvula would stay if I had it to do again. Some (certain) words don't sound right with the uvula gone either.

I say wait, & let the members here help you with your issues so you can use CPAP.

Pressure 6-10 cm

HanzT

Post by HanzT » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:33 pm

I had it removed, also had a Tonsillectomy, Turbinate Reduction (twice...one was out patient), and also 2 deviated septum surgeries. Somehow I always find myself back in the same condition about 5-8 years later. Of course the uvula is still gone, but most the surgeries are just short-term solutions for me. My septum seems to be deviated again, and my nose stuffy from the turbinates swelling (only 3 years later). Sometimes I wonder if they cut something else off, will it grow back? Anyway, I once thought surgery would be a more permanent solution, now I know better. Do a lot of research and find a good doctor if you go for it.

freddie fender

Post by freddie fender » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:36 pm

I had surgery to treat sleep apnea. In the surgery the ENT doc removed my uvula. I healed quickly but soon developed post nasal drip. It has been a chronic problem for me for some five years. Corticosteroid nasal sprays like flonase give me some relief but it's still a problem. I wonder if others have had this experience.
Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:04 pm

IF you're still using Cpap (and I bet you could be) make sure the humidifier's located just a bit lower than your bed... the water won't run to you but back to the machine.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:08 pm

I had UPPP surgery, turbinate reduction surgery and deviated septum surgery at the same time in 1996 or 1997. My throat was soar after surgery, but I don't recall it being real bad. The pain medication kept it under control. I also use chloroseptic spray before I took my pain medication which was an alcohol based liquid. I could not eat spicy foods for several years after the surgery. I had a fairly decent baritone voice prior to surgery, and now I cannot carry a tune at all. The post nasal drip is something I have learned to live with. I have not had any problems with food or drinks going up into my nose.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:15 pm

Julie wrote:IF you're still using Cpap (and I bet you could be) make sure the humidifier's located just a bit lower than your bed... the water won't run to you but back to the machine.

Who are you directing this to? One of the old 2014 posts?