dr ordered autoset, came home with escape auto

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
robysue

Re: dr ordered autoset, came home with escape auto

Post by robysue » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:06 am

archangle wrote:
Luthie2006 wrote:This is EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED TO ME. When I was one day new, I wrote on this site and I believe it was Pugsy that told me that I got sold a "brick." I had no idea what a brick was, but realized also I received an ESCAPE instead of an ResMed S9. Luckily, I was able to exchange this just in time and I received a RES MED S9 the next day. Just today, my sleep clinician told me that there is an investigation going on with this from 6 weeks ago, that I was supposed to not receive an ESCAPE but did. Interesting, I wonder why this happens so often.
That's why the right terminology is so important. Escape and AutoSet are both ResMed S9 models. And watch out for the dreaded S9 Escape Auto, which isn't the same as the S9 AutoSet. And if they say S9 "Auto" like lots of people do, it might be the AutoSet, or the Escape Auto.
archangle,

I think you've hit nail on the head: A significant problem that allows the shadier DMEs to get away with a lot of "bait and switch" is the fact that a lot of people don't describe the equipment they are shopping for accurately. It's important when you are shopping for that first machine to know the full make and model names (and model numbers) of the machines that are acceptable and are not acceptable.

And it's important to NOT use "vague" terms like "S9 Auto" or "Resmed Auto" since the S9 Escape Auto DOES satisfy the meaning of those phrases: The S9 Escape Auto is indeed an APAP in the S9 line and it is made by Resmed. It's just that folks around here, including me, think the S9 Escape Auto is an overpriced piece of shit since it doesn't record all the efficacy data that the (slightly) more expensive S9 AutoSet does.

Same thing happens on the PR side, by the way: Most newbies think the phrases "Remster with C-Flex Plus" and "Remstar Plus with C-Flex" mean the same thing. But they're both "vague" references to specific machines, one of which is a brick and one of which is not:
  • "Remstar Plus with C-Flex" tells the DME that a PR System One REMstar Series 60 Plus CPAP with C-Flex (model 260) is "ok". And the model 260 is a BRICK even though it's got that magic word "Plus" in its name that indicates that it does something "extra".
  • "Remstar with C-Flex Plus" is a vague reference to a PR System One REMstar Series 60 Pro CPAP with C-Flex+ (model 460), which is the full efficacy CPAP in the PR line-up. But the description is vague enough that a shady DME is going so see that written word "Plus" and decide that the PR System One REMstar Series 60 Plus CPAP with C-Flex (model 260) is good enough.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:22 pm

robysue wrote: It's just that folks around here, including me, think the S9 Escape Auto is an overpriced piece of shit since it doesn't record all the efficacy data that the (slightly) more expensive S9 AutoSet does.
the fact that the escape auto only has apap mode and not autoset mode is, I think, an important and normally overlooked issue to.

apap doesn't give you FOT, and so won't go after OA over 10cm, since it can't tell the difference.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

70sSanO

Post by 70sSanO » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:41 pm

The S9 Escape series does have a niche in that it can be an excellent back-up or travel machine that you don't worry about getting lost or stolen (except for the loss of therapy on a trip). It will provide therapy for someone whose numbers are pretty stable and doesn't require constant monitoring.

I'd pay $100 or so for a new one to drag along with me on trips.

But I would not use it as my primary machine.

John
AHI: 2.5
Central: 1.7
Obstructive: 0.3
Hypopnea: 0.5
Pressure: 6.0-8.0cm on back with cervical collar.
Compliance: 15 Years

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:31 pm

70sSanO wrote:The S9 Escape series does have a niche in that it can be an excellent back-up or travel machine that you don't worry about getting lost or stolen (except for the loss of therapy on a trip). It will provide therapy for someone whose numbers are pretty stable and doesn't require constant monitoring.

John
I'd pay 100$ for a new one to use as spare parts for my vpap auto

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

robysue

Post by robysue » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:42 pm

palerider wrote:
robysue wrote: It's just that folks around here, including me, think the S9 Escape Auto is an overpriced piece of shit since it doesn't record all the efficacy data that the (slightly) more expensive S9 AutoSet does.
the fact that the escape auto only has apap mode and not autoset mode is, I think, an important and normally overlooked issue to.

apap doesn't give you FOT, and so won't go after OA over 10cm, since it can't tell the difference.
[/quote]Regardless of how we interpret what APAP should mean, the fact is that the S9 Escape Auto meets the legal definition of APAP: It is a PAP machine that under certain circumstances will automatically increase the pressure and it can be set to work within a range of pressures.

For what it's worth, the S9 Escape Auto's auto algorithm is the same algorithm used in the S8 AutoSET.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:44 pm

robysue wrote: For what it's worth, the S9 Escape Auto's auto algorithm is the same algorithm used in the S8 AutoSET.
I was differentiating them the way that resmed does in the escape/escape auto/elite/autoset manual. which states that the escape auto has cpap/apap mode, and the autoset has cpap/autoset mode...

it may be legally an auto setting machine, but it's a last generation autosetting machine in sleek new clothes

CowFish

Post by CowFish » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:39 pm

70sSanO wrote:The S9 Escape series does have a niche in that it can be an excellent back-up or travel machine that you don't worry about getting lost or stolen (except for the loss of therapy on a trip). It will provide therapy for someone whose numbers are pretty stable and doesn't require constant monitoring.

John
The money to buy a new machine to replace a stolen one would worry me much less than the loss of therapy for even one night.

Your apnea must not be nearly as severe as mine.

StuUnderPressure

Post by StuUnderPressure » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:46 pm

bowf wrote:
ChicagoGranny wrote:The script does say AutoSet?
It says "resmed s9 autoset with h5i humidifier"
Then, I would get the Doctor involved in this.

The DME will want to please the Doctor more than it wants to please you - because they probably get repeat business from that Doctor sending patients to them.

SD Card Formatter 5.0.2 https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/format ... index.html

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:21 pm

Not!

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:27 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Not!
Why not?

Either the doctor doesn't help at all, or the doctor solves the problem. Nothing to lose by asking the doctor. And the dkcter has legal standing since he wrote the prescription as an autoset. A dme will have a hard time refusing the doctor.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Sheffey

Post by Sheffey » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:37 pm

Gripe to the doctor and he may change the prescription to an Escape. Best case, the doctor would refer it to an assistant and the assistant might screw it up.

You have the right prescription. You have the licensing board on your side. You should easily be able to handle it from here. Leave the doctor alone.

Maybe you already have the machine switched out?
Sheffey

Sheffey

Post by Sheffey » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:54 pm

I wonder if this dude got his machine switched for the right one?
Sheffey

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:03 pm

Sheffey wrote:I wonder if this dude got his machine switched for the right one?
I agree. What a firestorm of outrage (and good input) the OP stirred up with this little injustice diatribe. I, for one, would like a nice 'Hollywood Ending' including all the loose ends tied up, especially where the guy gets the gal/machine (ummm. gal gets the machine? ) Hey OP, report back

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

ShelaghDB

Post by ShelaghDB » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:49 pm

CowFish wrote:

John
The money to buy a new machine to replace a stolen one would worry me much less than the loss of therapy for even one night.

Your apnea must not be nearly as severe as mine.

Why?
You can set the Escape with ones pressure just as you can the AutoSet.
The only two problems will be that you can't use the Escape with different pressures and two it won't record your data.

I have severe sleep apnea and i have used the Escape although my main one is the Auto Set and i lived through it just fine.

My husband has the escape although its never been used and because you can only sell a new one for $200 I will likely keep it for back up if he doesn't end up using it, now that his weight is coming off, they told him he was borderline but he had a temporary weight gain when he switched to a home office.
So I will likely just keep it myself and I would feel perfectly safe using it a few mights here or there.
I think people bash it unnecessarily.
I understand why they do but if your SP is fine, and you are climatized to it, the Escape won't kill you

 5k 27" Retina iMac,
 MacBookPro 10.9.5 13" 2.53Ghz + 10.9.5 13" 2.4Ghz
 iPad 4 16Gig + 3G  iPhone 5 + One + One 64gig CyanogenMod Version
 Apple TV + Airport Extreme

ShelaghDB

Post by ShelaghDB » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:55 pm

Sheffey wrote:I wonder if this dude got his machine switched for the right one?

Im with you on this. Im not a lawyer but i have worked as a legal assistant long enough to feel pretty confident this oP has, as you say, the board on his side.
There really shouldn't be any fuss to this.........I know i wouldn't have any problem changing it but I'm from the city and not as nice as small town folk........but i would think and hope the OP should have had it changed by now providing he/she read the script properly.

 5k 27" Retina iMac,
 MacBookPro 10.9.5 13" 2.53Ghz + 10.9.5 13" 2.4Ghz
 iPad 4 16Gig + 3G  iPhone 5 + One + One 64gig CyanogenMod Version
 Apple TV + Airport Extreme