Leak Question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
7sUp

Leak Question

Post by 7sUp » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:36 pm

I have the Quattro FX FFM in Large and I'm having to tighten it way too tight or I'm getting leaks from the bridge of my nose with the air blowing into my eyes. I'm thinking the mask is too big and that I should go to my DME on Monday and ask for a medium. Does this seem right to anyone else?

gomer

Re: Leak Question

Post by gomer » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:55 pm

When my sleep study was done they used a small mask. they had no problem getting a good seal quickly. I had lot of problems doing it myself. I had to try med instead, so I tried TWO sizes before I decided on which was easier for ME. I think its normal to have to try more than one to get what works best for YOU.

gomer

avi123

Post by avi123 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:33 pm

7sUp wrote:I have the Quattro FX FFM in Large and I'm having to tighten it way too tight or I'm getting leaks from the bridge of my nose with the air blowing into my eyes. I'm thinking the mask is too big and that I should go to my DME on Monday and ask for a medium. Does this seem right to anyone else?

Reply,

Sorry, your flashing Avatar interferes with my concentration.

Last edited by avi123 on Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

library lady

Post by library lady » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:47 pm

Ditto to flashing avatar, I keep wondering what's going to happen on Monday.... but to answer your question, it is hard to find the right tightness for the mask in the beginning. Too tight or too loose, and you will have more leaks. Your machine has a mask fit option that you can use. Alternatively, you could do what I did for my Quattro Air and try mask liners. They were a game changer for me, and I won't go to bed at night without one. There are a couple of options for mask liners; Pad-A-Cheek (http://www.padacheek.com) and RemZzzzs, available at most DMEs or online at our Forum host, https://www.cpap.com.

It is possible that you need a different size mask, or a mask other than the one you now using. Many people have to try many masks before finding the right one, others like the first one they try. I initially thought my Quattro Air Medium was too big and my DME let me borrow a small one, but in the middle of the night my lower lip was biting the bottom of the mask. I went back to my first mask and found a way to make it work as it was really comfortable for me other than the leaks. So it depends on your comfort level with current mask. There's a lot of trial and error with masks.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:02 pm

7sUp wrote:I have the Quattro FX FFM in Large and I'm having to tighten it way too tight or I'm getting leaks from the bridge of my nose with the air blowing into my eyes. I'm thinking the mask is too big and that I should go to my DME on Monday and ask for a medium. Does this seem right to anyone else?
It looks like someone's getting hit in the face with a shovel on Monday. I'll just stay in bed *smile*.

Have you looked at the "Important Tips" tab that you see when you click on your mask image and go to the page for it on cpap.com? There are some measurements that you can take shown there that might help you decide which size mask that they think would fit you. You may well have the wrong size mask, or you may be in-between sizes, like me. Or both *smile*.

Anyways, just wondered if you had looked at the resources there on cpap.com?
Last edited by RogerSC on Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:03 pm

library lady wrote:Ditto to flashing avatar, I keep wondering what's going to happen on Monday.... but to answer your question, it is hard to find the right tightness for the mask in the beginning. Too tight or too loose, and you will have more leaks. Your machine has a mask fit option that you can use. Alternatively, you could do what I did for my Quattro Air and try mask liners. They were a game changer for me, and I won't go to bed at night without one. There are a couple of options for mask liners; Pad-A-Cheek (http://www.padacheek.com) and RemZzzzs, available at most DMEs or online at our Forum host, https://www.cpap.com.

It is possible that you need a different size mask, or a mask other than the one you now using. Many people have to try many masks before finding the right one, others like the first one they try. I initially thought my Quattro Air Medium was too big and my DME let me borrow a small one, but in the middle of the night my lower lip was biting the bottom of the mask. I went back to my first mask and found a way to make it work as it was really comfortable for me other than the leaks. So it depends on your comfort level with current mask. There's a lot of trial and error with masks.
Comment,

The owners of this website allow flashing Avatars (they say that nowhere they said that it is not allowed).

But I know persons who suffer from epilepsy and who might get an epileptic seizure while looking at such a flashing image.

Well, you can't expect every one to know that phenomena.

Even Julie shmulie knows it.

Last edited by avi123 on Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:05 pm

It's not about 'allowed', it's about whether or not it's driving some (most?) of us crazy. Did you know that flashing anything can set off epileptic seizures in some people?

library lady

Post by library lady » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:12 pm

... and then there are those with visual impairments who can't stand flashing anything for more than a few seconds...or other issues.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

7sUp

Post by 7sUp » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:03 pm

So the consensus is masks are complicated and flashing avatars are annoying?

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:08 pm

good grief, have all you people forgotten what it's like to drag yourself into the office on monday and get hit with all the typical crap?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:31 pm

Is there a reason you're using a full face mask in the first place? They tend to be harder to seal than nasal masks.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:48 pm

7sUp wrote:So the consensus is masks are complicated and flashing avatars are annoying?
Yes, and flashing avatars wearing cpap masks can be scary looking and also cause convulsions in epileptics....

Aside from that craziness, you should print out the sizing guide from ResMed's website to check the exact size needed with your face. The Quattro is a great workhorse FFM and is used by many, many users because it is very comfortable, usually seals extremely well, and is very quiet. Plus it handles jaw drop extremely well. It is ugly and very bulky, and tedious to disassemble and clean, however.

The new Quattro Air and F10 are the new, more attractive, easy to clean versions. Although some have complained about adjusting to the new versions.

7sUp

Post by 7sUp » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:58 pm

archangle wrote:Is there a reason you're using a full face mask in the first place? They tend to be harder to seal than nasal masks.
I'm a mouth breather, the RT that fit me said the FFM would work better for me.

tortoisegirl

Post by tortoisegirl » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:37 pm

If you are having problems, definitely go back to the DME for a re-fitting. Especially if you are within their policy to swap it out for free. I can say though with my Quattro FX that when I get leaking up into my eyes, it means I have the mask placed slightly too low on my nose. Scooting it up a tiny bit has always fixed the problem (I usually don't even need to take it off to do so). If you try a size smaller, take some time with trying it on and ensure you can open your mouth and such without it ridding up. Best wishes.

7sUp

Post by 7sUp » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:05 pm

Called the DME and spoke to the RT first thing this morning, she asked me to bring back my mask so I could be fitted for a different mask. We settled on the Amara in medium. I guess I'll see how this one works tonight, hopefully it won't be blowing into my eyes like the Quattro FX.