First airplane trip with CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chirurgeon

First airplane trip with CPAP

Post by chirurgeon » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:32 pm

I leave on my first vacation with my CPAP this Friday. How much do I have to take out of my carry on? I will also have a nebulizer. I was planning on placing the hoses, electrical cords and masks in ziplock bags.

The Latinist

Re: First airplane trip with CPAP

Post by The Latinist » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:45 pm

chirurgeon wrote:I leave on my first vacation with my CPAP this Friday. How much do I have to take out of my carry on? I will also have a nebulizer. I was planning on placing the hoses, electrical cords and masks in ziplock bags.
What do you mean by "How much do I have to take out of my carry on"? You can keep your CPAP equipment with you on your flight as a (totally free) extra carry-on that will not count toward your allowance). Just pack all your CPAP supplies in your carrying case and clearly label it as medical. Don't put anything other than your CPAP supplies in that case -- not even a toothbrush. They shouldn't give you any trouble.

Not sure how to deal with the nebulizer. Did it come with a carrying case? If so, you should have no problem carrying that case on as well. They're not going to separate you from your medical devices. If it did not, maybe you should get a small bag (something like a camera case to fit just the nebulizer, compressor, and medication) to carry it in and label it medical as well. Make sure your medication is in the original, labeled box. Carry a copy of your prescriptions with you if you can -- you shouldn't need it for the airline, but it could be very helpful if you accidentally forget something or something happens to your equipment while away.

chirurgeon

Post by chirurgeon » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:52 pm

The Latinist wrote:
chirurgeon wrote:I leave on my first vacation with my CPAP this Friday. How much do I have to take out of my carry on? I will also have a nebulizer. I was planning on placing the hoses, electrical cords and masks in ziplock bags.
What do you mean by "How much do I have to take out of my carry on"? You can keep your CPAP equipment with you on your flight as a (totally free) extra carry-on that will not count toward your allowance). Just pack all your CPAP supplies in your carrying case and clearly label it as medical. Don't put anything other than your CPAP supplies in that case -- not even a toothbrush. They shouldn't give you any trouble.
I meant does TSA want you to remove the machine from the carry on luggage. I have the carry case they gave me with the CPAP. I'll but the CPAP machine and the hose, etc. in the case and then in the luggage. No carrying case for the nebulizer.

library lady

Post by library lady » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:05 pm

I just flew out of MSP last week, they told me to take the machine out of the case, but the hose, mask, electrical, etc. all could stay in the case - I left it unzipped in case they needed to peek inside, also to speed up putting everything back in. The case and the machine fit neatly beside each other in one bin.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

The Latinist

Post by The Latinist » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:09 pm

chirurgeon wrote:I meant does TSA want you to remove the machine from the carry on luggage. I have the carry case they gave me with the CPAP. I'll but the CPAP machine and the hose, etc. in the case and then in the luggage. No carrying case for the nebulizer.
You have to open your luggage and submit to a search of ANYTHING from your carryon that the TSA asks you to. What they will ask you to remove is not predictable. But there is absolutely no reason to put your CPAP carrying case inside your carry-on luggage, and it is probably much better to keep it separate in its carrying case so that it will be easily identified as medical equipment and, if needed, inspected. Your medical equipment gets a completely separate carry-on allowance. Use your regular carry-on for what you normally would -- a few days' clothes, your essential meds and toiletries, etc. in case your luggage is delayed.

janelle14

Post by janelle14 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:45 am

I had a good experience flying out on American airlines toThe district of Columbia. No grief carrying it on with and additional purse and carryon bag. I checked the regulations and they said if it was a medical device it was ok. The flight back to St. Louis however was a whole new story. Very crabby flight attendant who quoted wrong FAA guidelines and gave me grief for too much baggage. I guess it is going to depend on who you get that day!

chirurgeon

Post by chirurgeon » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:55 am

Since I have TWO medical devices and one doesn't have a carrying case, they are both going in a small rolling case that theoretically fits under the seat I'm really aiming for just two bags on the flight out. The carry on suitcase that will go in the overhead will have a camera bag and a couple days of clothes. Fingers crossed.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:13 am

library lady

Post by library lady » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:03 pm

My CPAP bag came with an exterior "medical equipment" tag, doesn't everybody's?

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

icemanbryan

Post by icemanbryan » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:59 pm

I fly back and forth from OGG to LAX about 8 times a year.
My return flight is usually overnight,
That said, I have never had any issues flying with my CPAP.
I almost think I sleep better on the plane than home

tlohse

Post by tlohse » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:12 pm

I have not had to fly anywhere with mine yet of course ive only been on mine a year so far but from ive read on other sleep apnea forums and airline policies the CPAP should not count toward your carry on luggage and should be kept with you when you get on your flight and not go with the other luggage.
Thomas Lohse
Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Auto Set With Heated hose and Humidifier
Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 Size M Nasal Pillow with headgear
Mask: ResMed AirFit N30i/P30i
Original Mask: ResMed Mirage FX Nasal
CPAP USER SINCE JUNE 2013

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:19 pm

janelle14 wrote:I had a good experience flying out on American airlines toThe district of Columbia. No grief carrying it on with and additional purse and carryon bag. I checked the regulations and they said if it was a medical device it was ok. The flight back to St. Louis however was a whole new story. Very crabby flight attendant who quoted wrong FAA guidelines and gave me grief for too much baggage. I guess it is going to depend on who you get that day!
Every airport in the US is supposed to have a Complaint Resolution Officer (CRO) on duty whenever there are flights to address complaints about violation of the Air Carrier Access Act with regard to travelers with things such as CPAP.

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke

janelle14

Post by janelle14 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:57 pm

I probably should have taken his name and reported him but I was coming back from a great trip and I guess feeling genourous. Or maybe it was my 18 yr old daughter telling me to give him a break that he probably had had a bad day. Still......

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:40 am

chirurgeon wrote:Since I have TWO medical devices and one doesn't have a carrying case, they are both going in a small rolling case that theoretically fits under the seat I'm really aiming for just two bags on the flight out. The carry on suitcase that will go in the overhead will have a camera bag and a couple days of clothes. Fingers crossed.
First neither device needs a carry case. For ease of packing you can leave the cpap out of the case. Putting all medical (exempt) stuff in the same luggage is the best way for you and TSA. The luggage does not need a medical equipment tag only a name tag.

Second each airport location personality will be as different as the personalities you find here. This strategy really confuses any terrorist.
Meaning no one here could answer honestly your question
"How much do I have to take out of my carry on"?
I meant does TSA want you to remove the machine from the carry on luggage.
Only TSA at each location could come close cuz even then it will come down to the mood of each agent as they are given leeway on many situations.

Just don't try to sneek any toothpaste through.

Bucco

Post by Bucco » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:45 am

I would ALWAYS carry-on your cpap and all related hose, mask, etc. in the event your luggage is lost. I have never had to take out anything but the cpap machine itself. I find whether you have to take it our or not varies from airport to airport. Generally I have found that the smaller the airport (with less sophisticated scanning machines I guess) I usually have to take it out. Sometimes with larger airports I don't.