Neck muscles ache from CPAP?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sugarlips

Neck muscles ache from CPAP?

Post by Sugarlips » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:13 am

After a couple of weeks on CPAP, I'm noticing that I have sore muscles on both sides of the back of my neck (sternocleidomastoid and/or splenius capitis, if I'm reading this anatomical chart correctly: http://www.innerbody.com/image_musbov/musc16.html ). I've had soreness / stiffness on the right side of the back of my neck, off and on, for a while, but now it's worse, and the soreness / stiffness on the left side is brand new.

I can think of reasons why CPAP would worsen neck pain -- sleeping longer in one position; the mask changing the angle of my neck on the pillow; the weight of the mask -- what I want to know is: how can I get things to be better? Thanks!

-- Eric

echo

Re: Neck muscles ache from CPAP?

Post by echo » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:35 am

What kind of hose management system are you using? When i had my hose dangling off the edge of the bed, i wasn't able to turn while asleep and ended up in the same position all night, causing neck pain.
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep
Hosehead since 31 July 2007, yippie!

Sugarlips

Post by Sugarlips » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:46 pm

My "hose-management system" is limited to placing the hose on my bed, near my pillow, where the connection (between the heated hose and the hose to my mask) seems to have enough friction to keep the hose from moving and putting extra weight on me. When I turn over in the night (which I do a lot), I move the hose with me, above my head -- not the most elegant thing, but not a particularly difficult thing to do.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:54 pm

You may need to look into a different bed pillow to help with the cervical spine issues.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:23 pm

I agree with Pugsy on the pillow - that is critical for anyone with neck issues.

I wanted to mention, don't go to a chiropractor, with other areas, that might work but I saw a chiro years ago who messed my neck up permanently. If you go to a Dr. for your neck, see a M.D. Just wanted to throw that out there. I will probably start a firestorm with this from those who have benefited from chiropractic care, but when your neck is involved, you cannot be too careful.

I'm needed surgery now in a bad way, but because of some other family issues, I'm just living with it for the moment. If you catch neck issues before they get bad, physical therapy, a good pillow & proper exercise can avoid what I'm going thru now, I just wish someone had given me this advice years ago.

Jen

Last edited by jencat824 on Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

ems

Post by ems » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:00 pm

jencat824 wrote:... but I saw a chiro years ago who messed my neck up permanently. If you go to a Dr. for your neck, see a M.D. Just wanted to throw that out there. I will probably start a firestorm with this from those who have benefited from chiropractic care, but when your neck is involved, you cannot be too careful.

No firestorm here. I totally agree.

I don't know one person who had neck or back pain and benefited from a chiropractor! Eventually they all went to an MD (including me). Most ended up having surgery (helped some not all) or are still in pain.

If someone had severe neck or back problems and feel they actually benefited from chiropractic are, I'd like to know.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

Nick Danger

Post by Nick Danger » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:26 pm

I've had excellent relief from chiropractic treatment for my back. In my case, the back pain occurs because one of my hip flexors gets too tight. Before I started seeing this guy, I could hardly walk. The adjustment clears it right up. I won't let him touch my neck, though! I wouldn't expect a chiropractor to be able to do much with a ruptured or bulging disc.

JLtheDrone

Post by JLtheDrone » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:27 pm

I agree that a pillow change might be in order. Before going on cpap therapy, I was happy using a memory foam pillow. I found that it is much too "unforgiving" when I have a mask on my face. Try something a bit fluffy that can accommodate movement. Also, try propping your hose up on your bedpost to reduce the weight on it. Obviously I don't know the configuration of your bed or what kind of pillow you are currently using. Those are just a couple tips that have worked for me.
For once I feel as good as I look. -- Kent Brockman

avi123

Post by avi123 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:27 pm

Nick Danger wrote:I've had excellent relief from chiropractic treatment for my back. In my case, the back pain occurs because one of my hip flexors gets too tight. Before I started seeing this guy, I could hardly walk. The adjustment clears it right up. I won't let him touch my neck, though! I wouldn't expect a chiropractor to be able to do much with a ruptured or bulging disc.
I think that a chiropractor could do more good in Eric's case than with my case of a Lower Back Spinal Stenosis, which includes herniated discs. In Eric's case just manipulating the neck's vertebrae somewhat should loosen them up and remove the stiffness. A Physical Therapist could do it too. An orthopedist MD would look into epidural steroid injection into the neck's spine.

In my case I have my CPAP machine located on the night table at the same height of the top mattress. I am using the following CPAP hose holder which I bought at Amazon for about $9.

The lower base of the hose holder is tucked between the box spring and the mattress. The metal rod (actually tubes) sections fit into each other telescopically and the elastic rope that goes through them holds them together. It collapses apart easily for travel. IMO, it's a smart design.

Link:

http://www.amazon.com/Eliminate-Tangles ... B003UAHWOE

EXCEPT that I am using 6' long hoses which if held as shown in the illustration going up and down they would be too short to allow me to lie on my farther side without the hose "pulling". So I use a shoe lace to create a hanging loop and then I thread the air hose thru this loop. This drops the hose by almost a foot and then it is almost in a horizontal position. This allows me to lie on my back or the sides without the hose "pulling". I don't mind some condensation in the hose that wets my T shirt around my neck. I change T shirt to dryer one once a night.

Last edited by avi123 on Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:33 pm

Hubby went to a chiro ONCE (industrial injury)
The meeting was way too much like a high pressure sales pitch.
Right in line with an experience in high school.
My landlady's son had to repeat a class in chiropractic school--
the class was MARKETING!

Sugarlips

Post by Sugarlips » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:04 am

Last night, I tried a bunch of pillows we had lying around the house, picked one that was fatter and firmer, and felt much more supported during the night. I think my neck muscles are a bit less sore today -- we'll see how things go over the next couple of days. Thanks for the suggestions!

-- Eric

Heemo

Post by Heemo » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:40 am

I have a similar problem with neck muscle soreness, except it's towards the front of the neck, not back, on both the right and left sides. I tried different pillows and positions but didn't notice a difference. It's a feeling of tension with mild pulsating contractions at random times during the day. It's really irritating because I feel it's almost pressing against my windpipe, giving the feeling of slight suffocation. My theory is that my neck muscles are simply overworked because the CPAP forces them to contract during my sleep, a time when they usually relax. I'm not sure if that's the case and how to resolve it. It feels like a choice between OSA and this pain!
If anyone has experienced something similar or has useful info pls do share!