Constant confusion/forgetfulness

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
adultishgambino

Constant confusion/forgetfulness

Post by adultishgambino » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:21 am

Hi, I'm new here. I just made this account because I want to know if anyone else experiences this or has in the past and if it stopped after they got their cpap machine.

I'm only 18 years old and i have fairly bad OSA. I'm still in school and I do not have a cpap machine (yet). I'm having a really big problem with confusion and forgetfulness!! I'm trying to get through school but I can't focus. I feel like I don't understand anything anymore. and every time i try to learn something, i forget it! I have a lot of trouble putting my words together whether I'm answering a question on my school work or just talking to someone. Working out problems in my head is hard because I can't understand how to work out the problem and/or the question. Writing essays and stories for english is hard because I can't remember what words mean or how to use them. Same goes for history, I forget the information constantly or meanings of certain things. This is unbelievably frustrating, is it because of my OSA??

I swear I'm not stupid, I used to know how to do this stuff but now I don't for some reason. I hate it because I come off sounding really dumb because I say the wrong things or forget what I'm saying, etc.

Julie

Re: Constant confusion/forgetfulness

Post by Julie » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:12 am

Hi - you sound just like the rest of us did before going on Cpap - you're not alone or stupid or anything else, just starved for good sleep. Are you being tested? Why don't you have a machine yet? Let us know how things go and we'll try to help you however possible.

Daydream Believer

Post by Daydream Believer » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:55 am

Yes - this is precisely why my doctor ordered my home sleep study. I felt stupid... couldn't retain new information, became easily overwhelmed trying to follow instructions (especially verbal instructions) - it's a terrible feeling and you're not alone.

Being young, you might need to push hard to get tested and treated - some docs won't think you fit the profile. There is no profile, but the general population including docs haven't all gotten that memo.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:03 am

adultishgambino wrote: I'm having a really big problem with confusion and forgetfulness!! I'm trying to get through school but I can't focus. I feel like I don't understand anything anymore. and every time i try to learn something, i forget it! I
now, mind you, I don't expect you to be able to remember this, thanks to your sleep apnea, but, scientists have figured out how sleep enables us to remember things so if you can't sleep due to bad apnea, then your memory is going to suffer.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Tatooed Lady

Post by Tatooed Lady » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:36 am

I've gone through the same thing for YEARS...even in high school I had issues keeping things straight...history with names, dates and places were awful...as well as geometry with the theorums and rules...UGH!! For a long time I blamed it on the pot. BUT...now I wonder. I have felt like my brain is in a fog for so long, I forgot what "clearheaded" was. I'm not THERE yet...but with CPAP treatment I think I'm getting better.
So if you're feeling that foggy, I would definitely recommend a FULL checkup. Maybe the doc can pinpoint whatever it is causing your problems. Hopefully it's something as simple to treat as OSA. Good luck!!

As Bette Davis famously said, “Old age ain’t for sissies.”
I'm with the band.
So.Many.TOYS!

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:45 am

It was the big change with cpap. Suddenly difficult stuff made sense and was easy like it used to be. It took a month or two for me to notice it.

Beware - get tested for thyroid functioning - it can give the same effect.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:13 am

Have you had a test done to confirm that you have osa??????? If so, then the replies you have had here are all good ....BUT... if not, then I would suggest that you get to a doctor and see what is what. The symptoms that you describe could be from a number of things, one in particular is too many concussions. My granddaughter and the boy next door (both about the same age as you) have the exact same symptoms and it is from concussion not from osa. My granddaughter has had a concussion from a fall and a car accident the boy next door from playing hockey and getting hit. I am sure there are other things that have the same symptoms, don't guess what it is that you are suffering from...... get a doctors opinion.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

adultishgambino

Post by adultishgambino » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:52 pm

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies! I have been tested--twice, actually and i have my prescription/settings and everything. it's just cost that's the problem but i'm planning on renting one very soon. i'm glad to know that when i get it, it will go away.

nanwilson -- i've never had a concussion as far as i know.

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:50 am

A foggy brain is a very common symptom of apnea. You should definitely get a CPAP machine and use it. Sometimes, you recover pretty quickly, sometimes it takes a little longer. However, don't forget that even though you have apnea, you can still have other medical problems as well, so there could be some other cause for your problems.

Read the links in my signature line to help keep you from getting screwed by DME's (CPAP sellers.)

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.