Power Supply recommendation for Travel Trailering

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
2diabetespros2

Power Supply recommendation for Travel Trailering

Post by 2diabetespros2 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:31 pm

Just starting to travel trailering, Happen to see a brand name of Goal Zero 400 Solar Powered Battery storage. Looking for advice on running a REMstar Pro C flex+ CPAP
Thanks

CapnLoki

Re: Power Supply recommendation for Travel Trailering

Post by CapnLoki » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:16 am

Portable batteries suitable for CPAPs fall into two categories. The lightweight, usually Lithium based batteries can weigh 5 pounds or less but often are rated at about 10 Amp-hours. Your power drain will vary with the machine and pressure settings but typically range from 5-10 Amp-hours without the humidifier. Humidification can triple the power load, again depending on settings, so Lithium batteries are generally used for 1-2 nights, maybe an airplane flight, with no humidity. Prices have been up around $300, but recently they have dropped so you might see one at $150 or less.

For larger batteries, Lead-acid is usually used. These weigh roughly 0.6 to 1 pound per Amp-hour, and although prices vary a lot, they are generally much lower than Lithium. Often people say "marine battery" but the important thing is "deep cycle," and not all marine batteries are deep cycle. Also you can choose between "flooded" (traditional liquid acid, like most car batteries) and AGM (where the acid is contained in a glass mat and it is sealed and leakproof). You can set up a reasonable camping battery with just an $80 Walmart 100 Amp-hour battery, a $25 trickle charger, and some cables. A recent post describes this with a box the includes a socket and gauge. Your RemStar CPAP can run on 12V with an inexpensive cable, so you don't need an inverter, which can steal a third of your power. You might be able to get a week from this setup, without humidity. Usually I don't use the humidifier when outdoors, but if you're in the dessert you could still get 2-3 nights with the humidifier.

The Goal Zero Yeti 400 Solar Generator is a high feature, expensive setup that includes an inverter, charger, various gauges and outlets and would serve you in luxury. However, at $450 for a 33 Amp-hr battery it isn't very much "bang for the buck." As mentioned, you can setup 100 Amp-hours with various accessories for under $200, and you could upgrade that to AGM by spending about $200 for about 80 Amp-hours.

BTW, the Goal Zero "Solar Generator" does not include solar panels, that's a $200 option for a 30 Watt panel. Again, not much bang for the buck with the price for small panels running about $2/watt. A 30 Watt panel would be enough to recharge from a one night CPAP load, but it would take much of the day. A larger battery could be charged quickly with a car's alternator.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:49 am

How long do you think you'll be camping without power? Do you plan to do any camping outside the trailer?

If you're always trailer camping, your best solution probably involves a battery box containing a deep cycle battery about the size and weight of a car battery. It will give you several nights of CPAP power. You need to figure out somewhere near your bed to store it. If you can figure out some way to mount it where it can't turn over, you can use a flooded battery. A sealed lead acid battery (AGM or gel cell) costs more, but can't be spilled.

There are some links to info in my signature line.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

jscholz

Post by jscholz » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:15 pm

I can get 4-5 nights on my owell industries 12 volt lithium battery before having to recharge without using a humidifier but at least 3 with the humidifier.

Its size is convenient and it cost me about $300.00 back in 2009 or 2010 and has been good for camping, backpacking, boating, airplanes, etc. where I don't have power accessible.

I can use it to charge other devices as well with dual port DC adapters.

Enjoy your trailering.

Bama Rambler

Post by Bama Rambler » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:56 am

Unless you have a very small popup, your travel trailer will have a battery and most of them have room for a second battery. I'd suggest that you add the second battery and then install a 12V receptacle near the bed and use the 12volt cord on the PR Pro (460).

A pair of group 24 or 27 deep cycle batteries should last you several days, and if the TT uses a 7-way plug the TV (Tow Vehicle) will recharge the batteries If you need it to.

Having said all that, if you're camping in a campground with improved sites (W&E), you can just run it off AC power like you do at home. We camp a lot in our RV mostly on improved sites and just run ours like we do at home. I've even thought about buying us both spare units just to keep in the RV.

What TT do you have?