A Confusing Situation

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MikeL_Oh

Re: A Confusing Situation

Post by MikeL_Oh » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:08 pm

Hello Friends,

I wanted to report in after two days under the mask. First off, Thanks Woody for the support and encouragement. I am very happy that you were able to overcome the issues and are living a healthier life. Also, thanks again to Jan for the incisive and relevant advice - as to your observation about the sleep clinic throwing me to the dogs, it is an excellent point, however, I think I can explain what happened. I live in a small town and there is one large, regional DME, Boardman Medical Supply, that 99% of people use. In my case, with out of state insurance due to my company's home office location, BMS was not in network. Boardman Medical called me and asked if I wanted them to send it to another company. I checked online and found Lincare was the in network provider, so I asked her to send it to them. She apparently sent it to Apria and not Lincare. My wife, trying to help, sent it to whom she thought was Lincare- but it was actually Americare (Owned by Lincare). Not sure if BMS made a simple error or purposely sent my info to Apria. I must note - Apria is a VERY persistent company. I had to be a bit brusque with them to get the calls to finally stop. Either way, it would be difficult, in my opinion, to prove they violated HIPPA.

As for my treatment, I am very pleasantly surprised to find how easily I am seeming to adapt to sleeping under the mask. My first evening the mask felt very weird and out of place. I was initially unnerved by exhaling into positive pressure - but I adapted so quickly that when wakening briefly around 3:00AM, I thought the machine had turned off because I felt like I was breathing so normally. Adding to the confusion, the machine was dark - and so quiet that it contributed to the illusion. Obviously when I pulled the mask off and felt the airflow I knew it was working - but I shut it off and restarted just to be sure. I woke up early and other than a very dry mouth, felt fine. Last night was even easier - no issues at all and a solid good night's sleep. I adjusted the humidifier and had a quick spray of Biotene and no dry mouth this morning. I must confess that I did have two (maybe three) fingers of bourbon before retiring, but that was to alleviate the anxiety that I felt.

The only problem is the marks the mask makes on my face. My forehead has two very red ovals and the bridge of my nose is bright red. I feel no pain or discomfort all night - but in the morning, the nose is a bit tender. Since I have a full beard, I probably have the mask a bit tighter than usual - but any suggestions would be welcomed.

My sleep study reported that I had an AHI of 81 and my Oxygen saturation was 96% with 40% of sleep time below 89%, lowest saturation was 71%. As indicated by the Sleepytime charts below, I think I am finally getting a restful, good night's sleep. (sorry for the image size - I'm not an expert....)

ImageImage

Many thanks again to everyone's great advice and counsel - I look forward to the day when I can become one of the seasoned veterans helping the noobs!

Best,

Mike

library lady

Post by library lady » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:15 pm

Have you tried mask liners or strap pads? Strap pads will help with the red marks... forehead pad too... Karen at Pad-a-Cheek is a member of this forum and has liners and strap pads; go here: http://www.padacheek.com

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

Redonthehead

Post by Redonthehead » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:37 pm

You may want to try a nasal pillow mask. I had assumed I was a mouth breather and a FFM was needed. But I tried the Airfit P10 and its SOOO much easier to use, at least for me. The pressure seems to hold my nasal passages open much like it hold the throat passages open.

MikeL_Oh

Post by MikeL_Oh » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:05 am

Thanks for the info, Library lady - I had no idea such a site existed. Another benefit of being a member of this community. I intend trying these liners and pads. As for the nasal pillow mask, for me, it was very uncomfortable, Red. My sleep study titration session was very thorough as I was the only patient. The tech spent a lot of time letting me try all of the different mask types for a while before I settled on the full face. I have no comfort complaints - just the red nose and oval impressions in my forehead. They disappear in an hour or so. My wife teases me that I have a drinker's nose.....

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:28 am

MikeL_Oh wrote:Thanks for the info, Library lady - I had no idea such a site existed. Another benefit of being a member of this community. I intend trying these liners and pads. As for the nasal pillow mask, for me, it was very uncomfortable, Red. My sleep study titration session was very thorough as I was the only patient. The tech spent a lot of time letting me try all of the different mask types for a while before I settled on the full face. I have no comfort complaints - just the red nose and oval impressions in my forehead. They disappear in an hour or so. My wife teases me that I have a drinker's nose.....
Until you get Karen's wonderful liners, find an old t-shirt and make a gasket out of its fabric using the mask outline. Cut up some of your wife's panty liners to glue to your forehead rest.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:10 am

Janknitz wrote:You know, in re-reading your original post, something disturbed me. You said both Apria and Americare contacted you claiming they had your prescription, they had contacted your insurer for pre-authorization, and claimed they were in network with your insurer when they were not.

I believe there was a violation of your privacy under HIPAA laws. I'm guessing you may have authorized the sleep doctor/sleep clinic to contact A DME, but it almost sounds like they put your info out there to multiple DME's who could try to be first to get your business when you didn't know better. The sleep clinic or sleep doctor "threw you to the dogs" in a manner of speaking. Otherwise, how would THREE DME's have your information???

I've seen this before and since, and I think there's a clear violation of the privacy of your medical information, originating from your sleep doctor or clinic. Not sure if you'd care to pursue it, but one of these days, someone deserves to get in trouble for this.
Oh boy, another alarming cause for concern regarding DMEs and cagey doctors. Is there any level of greediness they won't stoop to!?!

Glad to hear the OP is having mostly positive results.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

tired101

Post by tired101 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:52 am

Why does Cigna have Carecentrix? They are all a bunch of liars there. I have had an awful time with trying to purchase the unit. The DME is also giving me the run around. What is wrong with these people. I think there is a major problem with Cigna using this company. There are so many complaints with the BBB. I about had a stroke trying to get assistance. Between being lied to, transferred to the wrong person, and waiting for call backs that never happen I have wasted so much time. Still don't have anything resolved. If I had the money I would just bypass this horrible company and pay out of pocket.