ASV: Is PR System 1 More Comfortable Than Older Model?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BrianinTN

Re: ASV: Is PR System 1 More Comfortable Than Older Model?

Post by BrianinTN » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:58 pm

palerider wrote: I could tell the difference in the PR auto vs the elite, but it wasn't a huge "oh wow" kind of thing, just a "I don't like this quite as much".. (I also got spoiled by the soft start the S9 machines do, whereas the PR starts at whatever pressure min you have, the S9 winds up over a few seconds, sort of like a really brief ramp, it avoids the "WHAP" in the face that the PR machines gave me.
Speaking of ramps and whaps in the face, do you have any thoughts on
A) the noise level between the two
B) the smoothness of the transitioning when pressure changes happen

Sounds like the rental option won't fly, so I'm going to have to get this right the first time around. (That is, if insurance pays at all, which may end up being an issue.)

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:19 pm

BrianinTN wrote:
palerider wrote: I could tell the difference in the PR auto vs the elite, but it wasn't a huge "oh wow" kind of thing, just a "I don't like this quite as much".. (I also got spoiled by the soft start the S9 machines do, whereas the PR starts at whatever pressure min you have, the S9 winds up over a few seconds, sort of like a really brief ramp, it avoids the "WHAP" in the face that the PR machines gave me.
Speaking of ramps and whaps in the face, do you have any thoughts on
A) the noise level between the two
B) the smoothness of the transitioning when pressure changes happen

Sounds like the rental option won't fly, so I'm going to have to get this right the first time around. (That is, if insurance pays at all, which may end up being an issue.)
I think the S9 is quieter, I've got a S9 VPAP Auto, and my bedmate has a (for the time being, until I can find another s9) a system one auto (560) and I can't hear my s9 when I've got it on my face, at a higher pressure than the sys1 is running... and I *can* hear the sys1 from the other side of the bed... though it's not nearly as loud as the old remstar M machine I had first.

the friend I got a vpap adapt for said it kind of bothered him at first, it was so quiet, he'd gotten used to the nosises his old remstar M made.

Sometimes the S9 machines have been reported to make a wheezing noise on exhale, my elite used to do that, as did the system1 auto, (before I handmedowned it) then I changed the hose, and I haven't heard anything from the s9 vpap auto... I *think* it was hose resonances... but I haven't experimented enough to prove it one way or the other.

the pressure changes are smooth, it's just the blower speeding up and slowing down in the new machines, no complicated valves and spagetti plumbing like the old vpaps. the s9 blower is so responsive, they vary it's output to create the 4hz FOT pulses the unit uses to determine if an apnea is obstructive or central, it tracks your breathing nicely.

I'm using 6cm ps on my vpap auto, and I don't notice the pressure changing at all, other than my mask sometimes puffs up a little more on inhale as the pressure goes up.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

BrianinTN

Post by BrianinTN » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:44 am

Impressive. Thanks! You have me almost convinced to go with the S9—that is, if my DME can get it. They have to special order ASVs either way, and I'm in insurance limbo for the time being as it is.

BrianinTN

Post by BrianinTN » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:43 am

Well, my DME couldn't get the ResMed, and I didn't fight it. I'm on a PRS1 DS960 ASV now, and I can attest that it is vastly quieter than the old REMstar behemoth. As for comfort, it's probably less so. IPAP seems to be quite a bit higher, and I do notice that my waveforms and the slopes of the pressure changes are different. it appears to me that there are some (perhaps minor) algorithmic changes going on under the hood.

Just food for thought for anyone who stumbles across this thread.